free hit
counters
Rocking horse s**t - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rocking horse s**t

I rang Lotus Bits today looking for an extra radiator fan for my S1 (which they didn't have) and whilst I was on the phone I asked them if they had the proverbial rocking horse s**t... a set of engine cover straps. To my surprise they said that they did have a set of 4 and that they have a cardboard box marked rocking horse s**t which is where they were kept. I've been looking for a set of these for years (literally) and I had to mortgage my house to buy them!!

Fortunately I'm not missing any other items made from 'unobtainium' :)

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you keeping the old fans Paul?  I took both my old fans off the car this afternoon, in readiness for two new uprated fans.  I guess they are the same on the S2 and S1?  They look original to the car and both work.

Decided when it comes to cooling to go for modern methods rather than originality.

Are those straps something I should have kept original? Mine had disintegrated so I kept the clips and simply fashioned some new straps out of rubber and some rivets. I did have the good sense to keep all the little pieces from the originals though.

Brian M.

Are you keeping the old fans Paul?  I took both my old fans off the car this afternoon, in readiness for two new uprated fans.  I guess they are the same on the S2 and S1?  They look original to the car and both work.

Decided when it comes to cooling to go for modern methods rather than originality.

I'm thinking about it but the motors are pretty tired. The early S1s had a 2 piece radiator housing... the rad housing + front blade whereas the later cars had a single piece one. The single piece ones will accept the bigger fans that SJ sell (or that you can get off eBay for a fractions of the price) but on the early cars these will not fit. There is so little room you can't even mount them on the back of the radiator as the ARB is in the way.

Paul.

Are those straps something I should have kept original? Mine had disintegrated so I kept the clips and simply fashioned some new straps out of rubber and some rivets. I did have the good sense to keep all the little pieces from the originals though.

Brian M.

Brian,

Hold on to the original bits.  While relatively simple to reproduce, no one is doing it right now (that I am aware of).  Replacing the rubber itself is something that needs to be done every few years . . .

- T

I'm thinking about it but the motors are pretty tired. The early S1s had a 2 piece radiator housing... the rad housing + front blade whereas the later cars had a single piece one. The single piece ones will accept the bigger fans that SJ sell (or that you can get off eBay for a fractions of the price) but on the early cars these will not fit. There is so little room you can't even mount them on the back of the radiator as the ARB is in the way.

Paul.

Paul,

I know the UK S1s have different fans from the Federal cars, but have you looked into refurbishing the original motors?   The Federal cars have simple Lucas motors that are the same basic can used for many other cars.  The brushes are primarily what wear out, and I buy universal 4mm replacements at a hardware store for only a few dollars.  These particular Lucas motors don't have ball bearings -- they just have bushings -- and in most cases disassembling the motor, cleaning everything up, and installing new brushes makes it as good as new.  I think I've only had one or two ever that I couldn't make like new for next to nothing.   I don't know if it's the same for the motors in the UK cars, but it's worth a look.

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hi Tony

The bearings are pretty worn on the motors I have and I only have two motors which I'm told is not enough to keep the car from overheating. I haven't been able to find a third motor over here either so I can't upgrade to try and improve the cooling.

Cheers, Paul.

Will an S2 fan fit?  there are three on ebay US for $25 each, reportedly in good shape.

Brian

Hmm... I can't see them? Have you got a link?

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Neil

Yes possibly. Can you send some pictures to paulcoleman70 'at' hotmail.com please? I'm wondering if they're the same as the S1 ones I have.

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Phil

I've figured out that the SJ fans will only fit on a radiator in the later one piece radiator housing. So I may have no choice but to use the originals.

If you have any pictures of what you've got can you send me some photos please to paulcoleman70 'at' hotmail.com and let me know what you want for them.

Thanks, Paul.