free hit
counters
piston broke - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Well I was looking for a reason to take the engine out, then after a trip to Newquy she was running very rough and after a few checks reveled compression down in no. 3 cylinder.

So, engine out ,got the head off and found this :blink:

looks like something has got into the cylinder, maybe a small nut or something.

can anyone let me know if anybody is doing good deals on piston and liners at the moment.

hope the picture came out :o

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6260/dsc00261rq8.jpg

oops! how about this one.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit :o

Bad luck, feel gutted for you :) my guess is it was one of the compression rings had dragged, but thats just a stab in the dark!

Im pretty sure lotusbits.com had new complete sets of pistons and liners for you later stevens boys

and they looked pretty well priced give them a bell, hope you get your motor sorted has she had a rebuild before or is this the first!

good luck regards danny :blink:

on the bright side at least when you have rebuilt her you will no she should bee 100% for a good few years :)

A

Shit :o

Bad luck, feel gutted for you :) my guess is it was one of the compression rings had dragged, but thats just a stab in the dark!

Im pretty sure lotusbits.com had new complete sets of pistons and liners for you later stevens boys

and they looked pretty well priced give them a bell, hope you get your motor sorted has she had a rebuild before or is this the first!

good luck regards danny :blink:

on the bright side at least when you have rebuilt her you will no she should bee 100% for a good few years :)

I bought her last year as a project, she was a non runner with no history so I don't know if anyone has performed any open cylinder surgery before, but the rest of the engine seems quite good.

Hi Andy

Crap news!! :o Atleast you'll get a chance to give the whole engine a good inspection. Just looked on Lotusbits and they are not showing any at the moment, may be worth e-mailing them though to double check.

Hope there is not much else wrong.

Simon

Chunky Lover

Ohhh ahhh...I got two just like it mate!

Mine was a ring let go and went into the chamber and did the same thing.

have got a couple of good used pistons and liners if you want to buy cheap?

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Hi Justin

Thanks for the offer but I'll probably buy new,maybe even re morgage the house and buy all four :o

Hi Simon

Long time no speak! How's your project going.

...yeah thats what I did, I replaced all four Mahle Pistons...the pistons and liners were about $10k aud I believe but I managed to buy them half through my mechanic in Melbourne.

If you cannot get a deal on them then let me know and I will put you in touch.

justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

...yeah thats what I did, I replaced all four Mahle Pistons...the pistons and liners were about $10k aud I believe but I managed to buy them half through my mechanic in Melbourne.

If you cannot get a deal on them then let me know and I will put you in touch.

justin

Thanks Justin I'll keep that in mind B)