free hit
counters
Crap.. Lost timing belt today while running... Now what? - Page 5 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Techspy

Crap.. Lost timing belt today while running... Now what?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I actually missed it and put the belt back on, but it slipped as I tried to cheat and turn the engine with the tension loose, in taking the belt off I noticed the tensioner was not shinny ( not related ) so I happen to spot this while taking the tensioner off to clean it up

• Like 1

I have a question

Do I need to disturb the head gasket to remove the camshaft box?

From what I can see it should be ok? Looks like the cam box has its own bolts with the head sat on studs?

I am just wanting to change the head to cam box gasket?

Is it a gasket or sealer?

I am glad you have not seen a failure like it

I think the previous owner had a top end rebuild to sell, I know the valves were replaced but don't have a receipt.

I guess the garage broke it, believe the garage was family of the previous female owner.

I was really only after changing the belt as I had not fitted it myself, it's best to at least know when the belt was last changed.

The cam towers are removable without disturbing the head.

That is part of the valve shimming process btw.

Use magnets on each tappet when removing the cam tower, otherwise you will scatter the shims all over the place and you won't have any idea where they came from, or where they went.

Before you remove the cam towers, take valve clearance measurements and write them down for each position, and save that data for when you put the cam towers back on.  You'll need to double check valve clearances and possibly have to move shims around or order new shims.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

@Vulcan Grey,

Hi Travis, (or any other knowledgeable guru)

Is there a specific reason for silicone rather than tread lock on the camshaft bolts?

Just about to fit a new belt having done the camshaft seals, and can't find anything about it in the manual. Remembered this comment from a while back before we decided to take the lump out.

TIA

Dave

Ahhh, so there IS a passage into the cam housing area? Making it in effect a hollow camshaft?

Cheers Travis!

IIRC  there is a grub screw (allen head) taking care of the sealing in the end of the camshaft where the camshaft pulley retaining bolt goes.

• Like 1

Esprit Freak