free hit
counters
Windscreen and rear glass bonding - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Windscreen and rear glass bonding

Has anybody bonded a windscreen on an Esprit? I have to fit the windscreen and rear glass to my S1 at some point and I'm not looking forward to it!! I've got the spacer blocks from SJ but I saw somewhere that people were recommending not using the small clips which hold the chrome trim surrounds in place. Anybody got an opinion on this?

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Black_Polyurethane_Adhesive%7CSealant_POLY

I used this stuff on the rear 1/4 lights and they have stuck fine.  I would check with the company first before using for  a windscreen but on the 1/4 lights it painted on the black edge  and then bonded them in place with no problems.  They have been on since early july and show no signs of coming off.   However read the thread http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/58521-quarter-light-refit/ and maybe speak to windscreen fitters. I am NOT a screen fitter  and obviously 1/4 lights are a different kettle of fish to front screens.

Edited by mdw

When my screens went back in after the respray I could only get three trim clips for the rear (obviously needing four).  Steve at SJ wasn't stocking them anymore, and when speaking to him about it he said they were not necessary and it was then down to the screen fitters skill.

Having tried to assemble the trims with the clips fitted it was near impossible to keep them straight and together so I would think it better to bond the screen and line the trims up once its in.

You defo need the spacer blocks though.

Edited by Nelly9000

Im in the same position and have just bought SJs last spacer blocks apparently but they're much smaller than the original ones? Steve reckons they dont use them any more as they make their own. He also said there's a technical update in the service notes about no longer using the trim clips as they leak. I think Im going to get a fitter to put mine in as breaking the rear glass is an unsolvable problem. Phil

Steve is right about removal of the clips now you mentioned that - have found it my service manual.

One thing I would also say guys if you are not aware is that the screen trims need a slight bend to them, as they are supplied straight.  You will need to dry fit them first and gently bend them to profile before bonding.

• Like 1

From what I remember the front windscreen had black clips pop riveted to the body to hold the trim in place but the rear glass didn't have anything? If you don't use the clips how are you supposed to hold the trim in place? And how was it held in on the rear glass? It was 7 years ago that I took mine apart and I can't remember :(

Paul.

I think the manual does say something about clips being pop rivited in place, but there were two revisions to the original notes (the second of which being the deletion of the trim clips).

With mine, the guys bonded the screens in place first.  There is an appeture around the screen and more sealant was put in there and the trims pushed in and held by good old masking tape.

Thats why you need to ensure you bend the trims the suit the bodywork first otherwise it will try and spring back.  I am assuming you have new trims or were you able to save your old ones?  Once they are bonded in, you can't remove them without destroying them.

Yes I have new trims for the front and rear but I was trying to think of a way to be able to remove them in future without damaging them. Although SJ sell the trims now, if my windscreen cracks in 10 years he may not still be selling them then. There must be a way of holding them in place well enough so that they don't move but not too well so that you can't remove them? Silicone rubber would give too good of a seal.

I wish that had been the case too, as my window trims had not long been replaced when I got the car (in fact they were the best part of the whole exterior) so it was disappointing to have to spend another £200 on something that had to be replaced because they could not be removed for the respray without damage.

Both updates in the service manual are due to increasing water tightness, so maybe the old way compromised leaking too much?  At least you know this way your screen is not going to leak.

Have you got a copy of the service notes? I'd like to see them.

As long as there's a good seal around the glass the trim is purely to cover up the black goo under the glass and has no function in sealing.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Im getting my front and rears ready to be refitted but the spacers I have all vary in size. One sort is about 8mm thick, another (rears I think) are about 4mm thick and the ones I bought from SJ recently are smaller still. Any ideas anyone?

Phil

Have you got a copy of the service notes? I'd like to see them.

As long as there's a good seal around the glass the trim is purely to cover up the black goo under the glass and has no function in sealing.

Having just spoken to Sika I would like to modify my previous post in that the chrome trim does provide something other than covering the black goo - it protects the sealant from UV in sunlight which prolongs its life.

I'm planning on using Sikaflex 255FC but have yet to find the Aktivator which should be painted on the surface first as there is no black ceramic coating on the underside of the glass on my windscreen.

Paul.

Giorgio this may help, Renn did an amazing job restoring his car. http://www.lotusespritrestoration.com/2013/02/installing-rear-hatch-glass-windshield.html

roo

• 2 weeks later...

Just bonded my rear glass in! Gave up waiting for glass fitters to get back to me so googled dinitrol 500 and plucked up the courage to do it. Not that difficult really as long as it doesnt leak.

Quick precis....

Glue 4mm neoprene spacers onto body as per workshop manual

Clean glass and body with yellow cap dinitrol 530 cleaner and etcher and leave to dry. Wipe clean again with a clean cloth.

Mask the edges with tape to get a nice straight line and paint black cap dinitrol 520 primer on glass and body.

Give yourself a hernia trying to squeeze the glue out of the cartridge.

Drop (sorry place) glass onto rear hatch and align.

Put bag of cement onto glass to hold it all down whilst it cooks.

I bought a pair of glass suction holders to help lift the glass when its covered in glue for a tenner off ebay which were worth their weight in gold.

Chrome trim will go in once Ive established its watertight.

Windscreen next week!

Phil

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I have new trims for the front and rear but I was trying to think of a way to be able to remove them in future without damaging them. Although SJ sell the trims now, if my windscreen cracks in 10 years he may not still be selling them then. There must be a way of holding them in place well enough so that they don't move but not too well so that you can't remove them? Silicone rubber would give too good of a seal.

Hi Paul,

I know I'm late responding to this, but I changed a windshield in an S1 last year, and have a couple of points to share:

- Those clips that are riveted in place -- they hold the trim by the grooved side of it.  There is actually a slight curvature to the top piece (and IIRC the side pieces, too) on the front windscreen, and we relied on the clips to be able to get the fitment of the trim just right.  Those clips didn't interfere with the installation or the glass -- we just had to check the space of each one from the glass to be sure.

- We used a foam dam (with adhesive on one edge) in place of the spacers (which, by the way, were in this particular car from the factory).  The foam dam was just the right height to hold the windshield at the correct distance, and it served to keep the urethane from intruding inward.  The end result is a perfect fitting windshield with a seal as neat and tidy as the original solbit. 

- Installing the trim was a careful affair that we did with blocks with thin foam strips on them to distribute the pressure and not scratch or mark it.   If you just push with your thumb, you might create a depression in that spot.  Likewise, you have to push on the edge that has the vertical part, where it is stiff.

- That trim is so soft, I don't think there is any way to install it (silicone, etc.) where you would be able to remove it without damaging it

-  That trim is just like picture frame material.  If we ever lose the source for the original, we can collectively scour the world for custom poster frame makers to see their selection of edges -- one is bound to be really really close. 

-  Somewhere I have photos from the installation.  Will post if I find.

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

EDIT:   Found two photos.  Sorry, I don't think I have any pics of the clips.

Foam dam:
post-907-0-87582700-1418276979.jpg

A vertical bead of urethane was applied in the space along the foam dam. 

Tape holding it until urethane cures:

post-907-0-04614800-1418277007.jpg

The criss-crosses of tape on the one side are applying pressure on a small block against the trim.  The car was missing the clip in that spot from the factory, and we needed something to hold the trim down until the urethane cured around it.    Also, remember the corner pieces that join the trim -- essential for good fit!

Cheers,

Tony K.  :)

Edited by Tony K
  • Like 1

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

I have fitted both front and rear screens they really are nothing to worry about, the two main bits are the glass height from the aperture and the trim angles.

I space the screen off the aperture with small black rubber bits until the height is correct all round, so the trim underside has no gap to the glass and yet is flush with the body edges next I clean and prime the screen and aperture, cut the adhesive nozzle to the same spec as the manual, glue in the spacers Ive cut to size, then do the bead of adhesive, pop the screen in and make sure its sitting on the spacers and the glass is spaced correctly from the edge,. clean any excess adhesive where the trim goes, The next day I fit the trim with a few small dabs of adhesive just enough to hold the trim  in permanent, but so they will come off with force

You may have to adjust the angles of the trim corners first !

I'm filling the screen in a S1 in a few weeks time Paul if you want to pop up and watch ?

Matt

Please let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

- That trim is so soft, I don't think there is any way to install it (silicone, etc.) where you would be able to remove it without damaging it

Tony

I used clear silicone to fit the trims and I ran a bead on the top surface of the glass only. The idea being that if I ever need to get them off I can run a razor blade flat on the glass under the trim.

I fitted my windscreen quite a while back as per Matt's write up but rather than buy the very expensive rubber blocks I bought some 4mm thick 60 or 90 shore rubber off eBay and made my own as it was significantly cheaper!

Paul.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I will be tackling this soon. First thing I will do is get my rubber supplier to send me the 8 neoprene spacer blocks that hold the tailgate glass in. What size should they be? 4mm thick seems to be the consensus?

12 hours ago, Freemason said:

I will be tackling this soon. First thing I will do is get my rubber supplier to send me the 8 neoprene spacer blocks that hold the tailgate glass in. What size should they be? 4mm thick seems to be the consensus?

Yes 4mm is correct. I used this kit to do mine and it came out great... Dinitrol

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1