free hit
counters
Cooling upgrade questions - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cooling upgrade questions

Nelly

As pert of my overheating issues on my S2 Esprit, I have had the radiator reconditioned and purchased two new cooling fans - these being the uprated fans from SJ which are recommended to go in front of the radiator.

With that in mind, I have everything back now and ready to go.  The fans are slightly bigger than the radiator frame so will need some fiddling to make then fit (the brackets supplied with the fans being useless from what I can see).  See below:

post-5743-0-04904600-1378199210.jpg

So I have two questions...

1) Any suggestions about how far off I space the fans from the front of the radiator grills?

2) My previous fan set up had two - although there was space for three - and one was positioned centrally and the other at one end (the other end not having a fan at all).  Would it be more sensible for me to position the new ones so one covers the LH side and one the RH side rather than copy what I had before?  I hope that makes sense,

Thanks

Neil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Kitcars often use similar fans...if you turn that fan through 90 deg, they hold them on to the radiator by things like cable ties through the radiator core and the fan mounting holes. So the fan fits straight on the front of the radiator...and I'd be inclined to fit them 1/3 of the way in from each end.  

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Fan_Mount_Kit_FNMNT

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I wondered that too Pete, but all I have read (plus SJ who supplied the fans) all say to mount in front.

Buddsy - thanks for that, the problem I have got is my S2 has the upright radiator (and not inclined like yours) so I don't have the ducting like you do - my old fans fitted into brackets in the front chassis brace, and are a lot smaller than the new fans shown in the pic,  My rad fits into the front air duct.  Its about half the height I think of an inclined rad.

John - that was pretty much my thoughts, leaving an entire end section of the rad without a fan as I used to have didn't make much sense.

I could always ask Steve at SJ.....but some for reason I don't want to!  I know I am a bit green on this but I am trying to learn and don't need to be told this!

Its not a problem to mount them behind and get them to suck if required, anyone else with thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Nelly9000

Cans of worms...had a few of those open of late!

Was going to be Halfords own brand coolant - a few S2 guys have used it without any issues.  I don't know too much about the waterless.

Regarding blow/suck - I would have put them behind the rad had I not seen SJ mentioned the recommend in front.  The fans they supply are by an Australian company called Davies Craig, and they say exactly the same.  I am going to do a few searches tonight to see what else I can find out.

Buy another universal 7" fan off eBay for £20 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-19cm-Universal-Radiator-Electric-Cooling-Fan-with-Fitting-Kit-/350854568551?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51b08fda67 and fit 3 of them. I suspect that SJ recommend fitting them to the front because if you try and fit behind they may well foul on the ARB. Still, think yourself lucky as if you had an early S1 they wouldn't fit on the front or the back!!!

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks for the link Paul - thats looks identical to mine as you say and also has the fitting kit from Molemots link.

Hadn't thought about fouling on the ARB to be fair - otherwise it was looking likely I was going to mount on the rear.

Lotus by Claudius in the USA do an interesting radiator upgrade:

http://www.lotuspbc.com/BodyModsS1S2.php

Only works with the later one piece radiator housing. Makes me think I should change my two piece one so that I could do the same.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Reading all these post about cooling I think that the best upgrade for the early cars with upright radiator is to change the assembly for the inclined later type and two bigger fans behind it...

The alloy radiator for the Sierra RS500 as posted in another topic here is about 150 GBP....or little more with the two fans assembly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-RS500-RS-COSWORTH-SIERRA-RACE-ALLOY-RADIATOR-2FANS-/310272060696?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483da7ed18

SJ listed the same at about 400 GBP and this can be easily adapted.

Only diference is the rad tube on the chassis but can be easily solved with an 90°angle rubber hose.

Giorgio

Edited by ghe67
  • Like 1

I run the iClaudius fan/radiator upgrade in my S2 JPS #010. Works a treat and keeps the car cool in the hot Oregon summers. The previous owner fitted it and it has the 3 Spal fans and the inclined radiator.

Roo

www.jpsesprit.com

image_url-14808-1378321049.jpg

Fitting the fans behind the radiator and pulling air through is more efficent.

The pressure drop caused by the fans pulling a slight vaccum will actually cool the air.

Having the fans in front will cause a slight pressure increase as the air is pushed through the core and this increases air temperature slightly.

The reason why these fans should be mounted in front of the rad is due to the curvature of the blades, the fan in the picture is designed to push air.

You could mount them on the rear and reverse the power connections, but it wouldn't move as much air.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I just received three new fans from SJs today and will fit them on the weekend. I'll be fitting them on the front, as this keeps the curvature of the blades correct. I'll take some pics of the job, and will include separate inline fuses.

P.s there is a good FAQ at the OEM website: www.daviescraig.com.au

I ended up bolting the fans to the back of the radiator.  Even spacing then off with 5 washers to clear the fins there is still enough room to avoid the ARB OK.  I will post a couple of photos up when I get home.

All went back on the car last weekend, but not had to time to fill the system up and test to see if its all OK yet.

• 1 month later...

My installation. I extended the active wires into the boot to fit three inline fuses then soldered together and to a relay.

Works like a dream, and the test day was over 30 deg C. The car warmed up, fans cut in and dragged the temp down in 1 min, then cut out :)

Little bit of overspray on the radiator, errrr you didn't see that!

post-1858-0-63505300-1385449820.jpg

post-1858-0-38258700-1385450018.jpg

You can just have yours recored with a triple core, plus get some Kenlowe's on there. That's all the cooling you'll need :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

jst a question ,i have a upgrade 3 core from lotusbits because of the extra width i am finding that the rad touches parts of the surround before the mounts pull up ,not wanting to put stress on the rad assy itself i am making spacers so as the mounting points only contact the surrounding body /ducting has any one else a better solution ? :help: 

• 1 year later...

Could I please rehash this thread. I have an S2. I'm in a quandary whether to restore the original, old, heavy and inefficient fans. Or whether to buy the non original but lighter, quieter, skew bladed fans with seperate relays for each one ( so they don't all blow at once).

Originality versus functionality.

Thoughts?

Cheers

I think you have answered that one for yourself already.   I have a 3 row core and 3 modern fans with no shroud and they will draw a huge amount of heat from the rad.  The only thing I would do again is buy the stainless rad frame and mount the fans to that rather than the through core tie things they came with.   For me on things like cooling functionality  is more important than originality.  Apart from on  a ramp its almost imposable to see anyway.

Never had a problem with the original setup as long as the rad is in good nick. Even when driving in 30 degree plus heat the fans did what they had to do.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009