free hit
counters
OK now taking bets - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
johnpwalsh

OK now taking bets

Got a way round the clip problem, mark the distributor and pump face as the where it should be, slacken the clamp and rotate the dizzy body, fit the clips then rotate back to the correct position, as for the leads not a problem as I have long leads, now just got to go try it and cross fingers, thanks guys. 

John.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well 10 pm and no further on, time for some alcohol me thinks. Timing now set on compression stroke at TDC on No1, plug leads set correctly and no joy, did find the electrical fault on the ignition circuit, small Green and White wire coming from  a switch under the dash into the loom coming off the ignition switch, turns out if you jiggle the wire everything comes back to normal. the strange thing is every now and then when you turn her over you feel like she is going to start with a splutter then it goes all quiet again. Now looking for a hair restorer as almost no roots left and that can of petrol is getting ever closer. So annoying, so near yet so bloody far and don't have a clue what to do next.

Help. 

Cheers again Andy but wire from coil to where, me and electrics tend to disagree unless I know what I have to do I tend to shy away from them but now willing to try anything next to the can of petrol and the matches.

Engine in my S3 and all fitted up, timing done and everything looking good but will not start, have spark at the plugs but not that great, plenty of fuel getting to the carbs and the plugs are getting fuel but the trumpets apear to be very dry where normally you can see a bit of excess fuel, try to start her and she gives the occasional spit but that's it. Changed leads, cap, plugs and dizzy cap. double checked the timing and firing order and all correct. Now stumped.

What to check ! engine was running fine when I removed it from the other car last week, I think its something to do with the poor spark, I am sure it's electrical but just dint know what to check next, Andy suggested running a wire direct from the coil but he never said where to/from

Edited by johnpwalsh

I was thinking, take a decent wire from the battery to the +12 side of the coil, so that any potential issues with wiring and/or ignition switch are eliminated.

If the spark isn't great then question what's different to when the car was running in the donor car. Different coil, different amplifier, connections hadn't been disturbed.

IF we are getting desperate then consider a small amount of fuel tipped into each trumpet, having made sure the plugs themselves are good and dry, turn it over and report back whether you now get any sign of life. Nothing means it's still timing (valves or ignition), compression or spark.

I remember checking the spark when mine wouldn't start many years ago and found the spark looking very weak, changed the coil and it was still the same!

For me it was over fueling as the float post in the carb had been snapped and hence wasnt cutting off the fuel supply. I had petrol everywhere though...

Chunky Lover

everything on the car is as it was on the donor car except for the distributor as it was a different system so I kept my original complete with dizzy cap etc so all should match my cars system.

I wish, we live in a little village in the sticks in the NE of Scotland nearest ( Esprit is 1.5 hrs away ), where the main population are on zimmer frames so kind of stuck but hey ho I will persevere. Every bit of info helps.

For an engine to run, it needs only a few things. Firstly, compression; secondly,fuel mixed with air in somewhere around the right proportions, delivered to the engine by valves opening and closing at the right timings, and thirdly,a spark at the right time. If you have all of these, it will run. Assuming you have compression and the valve timing is OK,  then either you have a problem with the fuel or the sparks. The distributor fits into an off centre keyway so you can't fit it anyway but correctly...however, the auxilary pulley can easily turn with the belt off, so check that you have the correct ignition timing....get No.1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke, check TDC by putting a screwdriver down the plughole and turning the engine over until the piston is at it's highest. Then see where the rotor arm is pointing..that should be the No.1 plug lead. Remembering which way the distributor rotates, check that all the other plugleads fitted to the distributor cap are in the right firing order. No need to bother with exact timings at this point, TDC will do well enough to get it started. At this point you should have sparks at the right time.

Fuelling can also give problems; check that the inertia switch hasn't tripped and the connector at the bottom of it is properly plugged in to it.  

Check to see that you get sparks at all the plugs.....then it ought to work. It is also possible that the engine has flooded, you'll see that when you pull out the plugs to check the sparks. One final old trick....heat up the plugs on the gas stove and refit them! that can give just that little bit extra to get it to start. 

Must admit, though, all the engines I've rebuilt have started on the first rotation.....and they were never as clean and lovely as yours is!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Is the dash voltmeter reading correctly?

Does the engine turn over smartly or with reluctance?

Have you charged the battery since your multiple refits? After all, it hasn't had a good run to top it up.

Also, when I flooded my engine, it behaved like this.

You must be almost there - so frustrating but joy cannot be far off....

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Hi guys, ok so done everything suggested and still no joy had a wire direct from the battery to the coil + side and the same result, battery getting low so the old BM hooked up on a good set of HD jump leads, just had a thought, I may have the plug lead sequence going in the wrong direction, fingers crossed going for a look as  john has suggested. Frustration at bursting point, grrrrrrrrr.

She lives oh joy, ticking over like a Swiss watch, my faith restored, thanks guys for all your assistance. How fecking stupid am I, the leads were one to far round on the dizzy cap, 24hrs of severe frustration for a 2 second fix. I am in love all over again, now just to set the timing, set the gear linkage and bleed the water system. Oh feck almost as good as an orgasm. just remembered too its our wedding anniversary today so even got time to nip to the shops for a card.

John.  

quickie, what should the timing be set at, 26deg at 3000 RPM

It's those little things that we can all slip up on so easily.

Now to go and get a card and in a totally selfless act, suggest you stay out of the house all day so that your other half has a peaceful afternoon.

She is a very understanding wife, I suppose one reason is  I gave her my Éclat as a wedding gift. Whats the timing on this thing 10 at 800 rpmand 26 at 3000.

She is a very understanding wife, I suppose one reason is  I gave her my Éclat as a wedding gift. Whats the timing on this thing 10 at 800 rpmand 26 at 3000.

Is that an HC engine?

If so, it's  45d dissy and 10 at 950rpm +/- 50 rpm,

If it's LC S3  Esprit with a 43D dissy, then it's 25 at 3500 rpm to 4000 rpm.