free hit
counters
OK now taking bets - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
johnpwalsh

OK now taking bets

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My brother Mike did the exact same thing with an Alfa Bertone GTV. He was living in Devonshire and had rebuilt a rusty 1300 GTV and fitted a 2 litre Alfa engine to it. Would it start? Not a hope. Used to pop occasionally after mucho cranko...in desperation he phoned me. I was doing some very early retirement back then, so I drove down to see what I could do. When I got there, Friday afternoon,  he was at work... so I let myself into the garage and got the beast out. Tried the crankycrankypop stuff...no run. So I went back to basics...No1 at TDC, check the rotor arm, and lo! it pointed not at No1. So I swapped the leads about and she burst into life. Back to the house I went, and waited for Mike to get home from work. He came back knackered and wasn't at all impressed by my suggestion that we go and see the car...anyway, I persuaded him and we wheeled it out of it's lair. "Give it a go, then" I said...."No bloody point, all it does is go crankycrankycrankypop" quoth he....."Go on, I'd like to hear it".....so he got in and turned the key and away she went. Oh how I wish I had had a camera!! His face was a perfect study in astonishment for an acting class......"But......but.......but.......it didn't do that before!!" he cried.....and then I told him what I'd done to cure it! Seems the 2 litre engine had come from a scrapyard minus the distributor cap, and he had installed the cap and leads in accordance with the manual.....all would have been fine, except the previous owner of the lump had fitted the distributor 180 degrees out!!!

That 1300/2 litre hybrid was quite impressive...the 1300 low ratio rear axle gave it mad acceleration and even more so when we discovered the stop on the throttle pedal had unscrewed itself and there was only about 80% full throttle...stop went into bin and the wheelspin became even more pronounced!! 

Glad you found the problem, now get on and enjoy driving her!!

Just to pass a huge vote of thanks for all your help today guys, she has started several times now with no problem but now when I went to set the timing it's no start again BUT I now know what the problem is. A poor connection on one of the three wires for the Lumminition unit so a fairly easy fix. I have spent the rest of the afternoon refitting the gear linkage etc so once I sort out the wire she will be good to go. The Beast has been on sorn for almost two years now, since the fateful day of her engine bay fire so I am itching to tax it so that she can grace the tarmac once again, pity only a few months left of some decent weather. On a bonus I even had time to nip to the shop and get an anniversary card for the long suffering Mrs W, she's a gem and patience of a saint, well she has to have when she knows I am having affairs with three others. 1 Esprit, 2 Excel's and of course Old Banana the Ex Andrew Ferguson/Team Lotus Eclat.

Thanks again guys.

John.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you recon guys, when I try start her off the key no joy but if I set up a set of jump leads she starts no problem, do you recon it's a bad earth somewhere. The engine sounds sweet as a nut so pleased with that just got to set the gear change properly and I will be happy.

John.

John

How is the battery?  Many years ago I had a 2.8 Granada.  It would turn over fast and strong for ages but no way would it start.  Jump start no problem.  New battery no problem.  Don't really understand why but can happen

Have you got the right leads going to the right terminals on the starter motor...the system is a ballast coil, and the ballast resistor is actually one of the leads! Worth a check. Sometimes ignition switches go weird and, when you go to the start position, the ignition supply gets cut off. First thing is to check that you have sparks when using the key normally...and the 3 wire connector to the distributor is also a major suspect.

More good suggestions. The three wire plug from the dizzy has been removed and replaced with spade connectors as it was giving a problem. the two wires on the starter could be wrong as the terminals were broken on the ends of the wires when we removed the engine so I fitted new connectors but  could easily have been fitted the wrong way round, would this also give the impression of a poor solenoid as if it's on it's way out as sometimes when I start the car this is the impression you get, very pour turnover then a minute later it's fine, the starter by the way is a new recon unit so if these wires are wrong then that would sound like a good suspect,  I have two spade terminals on the starter as well as the mains lead, which wire goes where then or will I just swap them over and see what happens.

OK guys hope this is the final bit, the newly recondition starter motor was a duff, sometimes ok then again struggled to turn her over giving the impression that the timing was to far advanced so removed and stuck the original back on so that bits sorted, only set the timing by ear for now as need a second pair of hands but it's pretty close. Next issue is the gear linkage, I have replaced all the bushes so it should be nice and tight but I now think a PO had made adjustments to take up all the slap from the shagged ones, the cross gate cable seems fine now but first and fifth just give a horrible crunching noise when you let the clutch out, she is just not getting properly into gear, it's as if the forward movement of the gearshift is not long enough although 3rd and 4rth are fine. When I checked the rose joint connection where the two rods link together at the engine mounting the rose joint is screwed all the way back to the stop, my thoughts are that if I adjust this back out that would increase the length of the rods so this would mean even less forwards movement for first and fifth, opposite of what I require. What do you guys recon, I only have a few days left to play with her before going back overseas for work and I want to play for a while before going.

Must just say of all the motoring and car clubs I have been in over the last X years this must be the most helpful and informative club I have ever know, A huge thanks guys you have been brilliant.

John.

First thing I'd do is to disconnect the tubular linkage and try engaging the gears by moving the lever on the gearbox by hand. Do some measurements to see how far the lever moves to engage 1st, 3rd and 5th. If you engage these gears from the gear lever inside, then get under and slide the linkage off the gearbox lever, you'll be able to see how much further it needs to move to get the gears. With the linkage disconnected, you can also see how far the gear lever will move the end of the rod. That ought to give you an idea of what needs to be done.

The 1st/2nd gear selector is fitted to it's selector shaft simply by being clamped in the right place...the manual refers to using special gauges to position it in the synchro unit...perhaps the selector itself is in the wrong place, and attempts have been made to compensate for this by adjusting the linkage? Unlikely, but possible.

According to the manual, with the gear linkage in neutral, the relay lever on the RH engine mount ought to be vertical or leaning very slightly towards the back of the car..that's worth a look. You adjust it by disconnecting the rear tube and varying it's length with the screw adjustment.

I hope that lot helps a bit....I know I'd end up laying under the back of the car and staring at the linkage, allowing the subconcious to work on the problem until it pops up with an answer!!

Thanks John. looking at my one it leans slightly forwards so I would guess that's where the problem lies, so if I adjust out the rose joint by roughly the same distance that should then bring the lever on the mounting leaning slightly backwards to the position you have mentioned. This kind of ties in with what I suspected, the PO appears to have taken up all the adjustment to compensate for the knacked bushes.

Going to try that now.

Cheers again.

John.

She moves, she grooves, she followed the tarmac under her own power, she sounds awesome with the sports exhaust, the steering is now nice and tight, the clutch perfect, the sound with the beefed up and cleaned carbs complete with Ramair air intake filters instead of the old air box, the sound is music to my ears. Now a little fettling and good to go, still have a problem with first gear but I can live with that until I get more time, I recon the forwards rod is being obstructed on something which is just stopping that last 1/8" of an inch of forward movement to let it completely engage. The cross gate and rear tube adjustments are fine, any further adjustment on either of them and I start to lose gears. So the plan now she comes out to play officially this weekend I think it's well worth the road tax just for the smile factor and the huge feeling of self achievement and a bit of pride that I did not have to succumb to having to pay a garage to undertake the work, ok it would have been far quicker and less stressful but then I would have had the worry of the costs so more than happy with the turnout. GOT to say a huge thank you too all the guys who gave advice and kept me going when I felt like a gallon of petrol and a box of matches would be the best cure, guys I cant thank you enough and if you ever get to the North East of Scotland there will always be one in the pot for you, and of course my looooong suffering wife who has been a blessing in disguise, huns can you hold this, hun can you do that, hun watch that's my bloody fingers, only jesting. Now the next project!!!!.

I am off to play.    

OK been and gone and done it, gave her a run out taxed or not, well it doesnt make them go any better does it. So off I went on the premise that the beast needed fuel and of course the nearest filling station is a 12 mile round trip, just a nice distance for her first run and was it GREAT, I did take the advantage of the Mrs follow just in case but was never a requirement. Thats the first time I have driven her with everything overhauled, the gear change is a bit tight but its crisp I put that down to all the new bushes so hopefully it will ease off but mind you it could be something to do with whatever the restriction is causing problems getting into first could also be the reason for it being tight but that will be sorted out tomorrow when I get her up on a ramp for a final check and a looksee. Even the updated seats I purchased are more comfortable and hug you nicely into position. It was a short run but a good reminder on why I wanted her back off the insurers in the first place and well worth the effort.

P.S. New fire extinguisher installed in the engine bay.

Edited by johnpwalsh

Haha, I hope you dont mean a lot of use from the fire extinguisher, never want to have a reason to use one of them again.

Well today is officially D day, or in my case drive it day. The road tax is now active so out she comes to play, I had her on the ramp a few nights ago and still can't find what is causing the problem getting fully into first gear, she is also tight as hell to get out of second so any further suggestions would be welcome, I have done everything suggested as in adjustments, measured, adjusted, removed the rods, measured and adjusted to the point where you lose more gears. Every time you go to select first she just does not go that last 1/8 of an inch to allow her to fully engage, I have the Mrs in the car, select first then just touch the tube at the back and it is enough to go in and whatever way I make the adjustment it will either get worse and lose more gears or stays the same !. Regardless she is legal for the road today and she is coming out. I have waited far to long for this run so it's going to happen even if she is missing first, she has all new clutch assembly and pulls off ok in second so not to concerned about that but it's annoying that it just wont go in.

Have a great day!  Hope its dry for you

She really does look bootiful, lovely paint job.  :thumbsup:

Well done, you must be really chuffed.

Hope you're having a good day!!

As for the 1st gear problem....having tried all the obvious adjustments, I think I return to the idea that the 1st/2nd selector in the gearbox is somehow in the wrong place. If it were just slightly out of position, then I think you could get the symptoms you describe. I'd be inclined to take out the boot floor and remove the gearbox top and see what it looks like. Something does seem to be preventing the selector from selecting the gear, and looking into the gearbox could give you the necessary clue. The results of my gearbox rebuild of a year or two back have been so successful that I change gear just for the sheer pleasure of it!