free hit
counters
OK now taking bets - Page 4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
johnpwalsh

OK now taking bets

Thanks John, that's the next thing to look at now but seems strange as all was fine before she came off the road. took her a spirited run this afternoon as she now has road tax so the plan was a twenty mile circuit taking in some B  class and unclassified local roads, all went fine for the first 10 miles then started to suffer from fuel starvation, she would cut out let the pump run for about 10 minutes then she would start again run another couple of miles then repeat the process. We managed to limp home with her and as a first check I changed out the in line fuel filter, disconnected the fuel line from one carb and stuck it in a tub to check the fuel flow which was pretty good so I now think I may have crud in the float chamber so going to check that next. Must say for the 10 miles or so that she ran well it was definitely a smile factor back on :thumbsup: , even the Mrs who was with me could tell the difference and the sound with the new breathers is wow. I have a busy few days ahead with having to go pick up the new daily plug so want get back to her until Monday but I am now sure that's what it is.

:harhar:  :thumbsup: .

Keeping the faith.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had a similar problem with my car and it turned out to be the electronic pickup in the distributor. Symptoms were car starting and running fine but then juddering violently and cutting out. Leave to cool down and then started fine and ran again until hot then cutting out. Initially I replaced just about everything on the fuel system ie pump, filter, fuel lines and regulator but no joy. The pickup was then suggested and bingo the rest is history. If replacing the pick up I would suggest also replacing the cable from the pickup connectors to the ignition amplifier. 

Update, fuel system all checked out and looks ok so as suggested now going to check the electrics, I have a spare coil etc but will have to source a pick up for the dizzy, the coil was feeling very hot so I am hoping it's the coil that's wrong as the Lictronic unit was one of the first things I replaced on the car when I first purchased her almost three years ago.

Replace the coil in any case. It was surprisingly cheap but I still go with the pickup in the distributor. 

Hi Mike, tested the coil and seems to be OK, fitted a new one I had as a spare anyway so just gone and ordered a new pickup for the dizzy, hopefully it will be here in a couple of days as we have a club meet next Sunday, the last of the year and all our guys are waiting to see the end of the restoration so fingers crossed. Thanks for the hints and tips.

Grrrrr. Complete new luminition unit fitted this morning, pick up, control unit the works at £130 + postage, went for a run 12 miles and same result, misfire, splutter, splutter and stop. Give her 10/15 minutes and off she goes again for another 4 or 5 miles.

Next time she stops, cut the engine and take the tops off the carbs....see where the fuel level has got to.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I was cursing the ignition system on my gold Excel until I realised the correlation between fuel level in the tank and the misfire. It turned out to be fuel pump incapable of supplying enough fuel at a high enough pressure when the level was below 1/2 way. I'm not saying it's that in this case but consider other possible causes, both likely and unlikely, keep a log of situation of each when the misfire occurred and look for any pattern. And carry diagnostic tools such as multimeter, spark tell tale (little lead that fits between plug lead and plug cap showing if a spark is present) etc, then at least you can attempt to diagnose when in the fault situation.

OK so today after a frustrating two day wait my new DLB102 coil arrived so first off get the old one out and change it over, first problem, connection a different size, frantic hunt through all my box's of bit's and bob's to find a spade terminal of the correct size, ok so that's sorted, all wired up an dreading to go, I mean how many excuses can you make for spending more money. Anyway the coils on and she is started up, lets see how she ticks over for a while, all seems well so go for a short run on a strong pull uphill for about half a mile, well that's seems ok so turn round and floor it on the way back. SHMBO is standing at the door, first comment, well you can hear the bloody thing coming with the sports exhaust if nothing else. Ok so lets go for a longer run previously she did about 10 miles before cutting out. OK 10 miles out, turn round and head home. Nice straight piece of road so time to give her some welly, 7,000 rpm, change gear, 6,000 rpm, change gear, now flat out for a short straight. top of the hill and brakes on for the junction, 1.5 miles of twists and bends and fecking awesome, bloody great, fish tail a little bit on the bends than back to the village. Smile bigger than a Cheshire cat, grin that cant be seen as it's to big for the windscreen. At last she is back on track, she is running near perfect and I am one happy bunny. 

Thanks guys again for all your hints and tips without which I would probably still be struggling.

:harhar:  :unworthy:  :clap:  :guitar:  :bounce:  :hrhr:  :animier:

Edited by johnpwalsh

Great news....they are something else when you finally get them right...grin from ear to ear.....

Not sure If I could hear it from here, though....(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

High John and thanks for the comments, the sound is awesome, SHMBO could hear her coming from over a mile away, the new Ramaire filters along with the new stainless steel sport exhaust including the manifold was a worthwhile fitting.

Well the day has arrived, thirty of us meeting up for lunch and a natter this afternoon and I am taking the S3. Round trip of about 80 miles so this will be her first real run since I finished her on Friday, fingers, toes, arms and legs all crossed. Oh and the AA card in my wallet.

Hi John good luck for today. I see at the very start of this thread you say newly rebuild engine fitted. Are you not having to run the engine in? Pushing to 7000rpm on a rebuilt with no running in seems quite brave?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hi Budsy, well spotted. The engine has actually done 13,000 miles, my poor description, what I meant by rebuilt is in fact referring to the car. Just taken her out of the garage for final checks and noticed when I put on the indicators the ignition light comes on so must have a short or another bad earth, everything else seems to be ok and the voltmeter shows she is charging ok so just going to go for it, it's been long enough in waiting so everything crossed and going for broke. Going in convoy so will have plenty of company. AA card in the wallet.

Good man just wanted to make sure you did run in to problems you didnt need to. So how did it all go?

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

Hi Budsy and thanks for asking, just got back. sort of stretched the distance a little bit and did a total of 140 almost trouble free miles. The niggles were sporadic charging and when I went to indicate the ignition light would come on but the indicators did not so further searching required. Mechanically running sweet as a nut and went the distance no problems other than previously mentioned. One thing I did notice was an increase in fuel consumption  but I did expect it with the new sports exhaust and the Ramair filters. So in a nutshell I am a happy bunny and all the guys at our meeting were please to se her resurface after 16 months of hassle and again I must give a huge vote of thanks to all the TLF guys for their encouragement to keep going after fecked engines 1,2 and 3, and with all the advice on how to fault find and repair the many obstacles I came across, many of which were unexpected after the fire. Who would have thought that an electronic ignition module which was unaffected by the fire would fail, that a coil would turn to crap and and that the ignition pick up would fail just because it had not been used for 16 months, ah well all good learning points so thanks guys it was worth a fortune to me and if I can ever do anything in return please do not hesitate to ask as I can now pull out an engine, change a water pump, timing tensioner, timing belt, drive belts, crankshaft oil seals, all the gaskets and re-fit and S3 engine and gearbox in twelve hours.

I will try and attach a copy of todays lunch meet with friends. If I cant get it to attach I will try through flicker.  

Edited by johnpwalsh
  • Like 1

Glad it all went well. Its been good time spend for us watching your story unfold. Im sure with time you will get to the bottom of the smaller niggles.

Buddsy  :respect:

Well the Happy, Sad tale of woe is coming to an end but in a good way. I have now decided that The Beast is for sale, why you may ask after all the trials and tribulations, well been there and done that now and I have just been asked if I want to rescue a very nice looking S4 in Norfolk Yellow. Well enough said I think. The Beast has now had everything done to her and she runs brilliantly, ok could do with a little fettling as in a bit of tweaking on the rebuilt carbs and one or two other minor adjustments but to all intents and purposes she is bloody good. I am not going to say what I spent on her during the 18 months of work, needless to say it was  a fair bit but as SHMBO also reads the forum that will stay my little secret. Will I be sad to see her go, yes of course as she is a stunning looking car in her lovely Calypso Red paintwork which is only abut four years old but with 5 Lotus cars clogging up all my space I have to be realistic and say enough is enough so I am having a huge clear out. Have a look at the classified and you may just spot a bargain. so what's the Beast worth. I have advertised her at what I think is a fair price knowing her history and what's been done to her and whoever buys her will also get her original engine plus a load of spares which I have amassed over the last few years and that will include a very rare set of spare rear discs, she will also come with an original Esprit spare wheel complete with new tyre and the rear boot bag.

If any of you guys are interested get back to me with a message and I can send you loads of photographs of the rebuild and the paint job. 

post-12149-0-00511600-1387013408.jpg

post-12149-0-28476800-1387013436.jpg

Edited by johnpwalsh

Sad, but not entirely unexpected....I've done the same sort of thing, too. Once the project is complete, one needs something else to get the teeth into; and with 5 assorted Lotus cars as well, parting with this one shouldn't be TOO painful! I spent 5 years rebuilding my MG TC and then sold it the first year I was in the RAF...nowhere to keep it and look after it as it needed, so it got sold and I acquired an Alfa Romeo Bertone GTV. Of course, I wish I had the MG still....it would be worth 3 times my Esprit Turbo!!...but that's not why; it was a mad thing with supercharger and narrow tyres and no hood and aeroscreens and..........!!!