free hit
counters
Evora Buyers Guide - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Evora Buyers Guide

I've been asked if we'll publish this. What do you think?

Lotus Evora Buying Guide

Though the Evora has been on the market only three years, used models are starting to emerge on the used car scene. As such, they are still covered under warranty.

Given the high price and quality of the Lotus Evora, not to mention its relative youth, you’re unlikely to come across one which has been mistreated. In any case, there are certain aspects of the design and manufacture issue which may show some signs of wear even only three years after they were first rolled off the production line.

We’ve pulled together all the information you need when considering buying a Lotus Evora from the used car market.

The Specs
Model Power Engine rev limit Emissions Tax band Insurance group Price
Evora 276hp at 6400 rpm 6400rpm 205g/km CO2 K 50 Up to £51,000
Evora IPS 276hp at 6400 rpm 6400rpm 210g/km CO2 K 47 Up to £53,000
Evora S 345hp at 7000 rpm 7000rpm 229g/km CO2 L 50 Up to £60,000
Evora S IPS 345hp at 7000 rpm 7000rpm 224g/km CO2 K 47 Up to £62,000

Pack Identification

Tech Pack 
A Lotus Evora with a Tech Pack is easily distinguishable from others, thanks to the fitting of Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel and a double DIN stereo.
Like the standard pack, the Tech Pack stereos are Apline units, the main difference being the touch-screen rather than the standard CD head unit. The speakers are upgraded with a dedicated amplifier, DVD player, USB port, cruise control and Bluetooth mobile phone connection.
There’s also the addition of rear parking sensors and the monitoring of tyre pressure. 
A Tech Pack would have set back the previous owner up to £2,800.

Premium Pack
The Premium Pack ups the luxury of the Evora, focusing on the interior. Whilst standard Evoras are issued with Ebony Black leather interior, Premium packs can be equipped with leather colours Imperial Blue, Cognac Brown, Cocoa Brown, Ash Grey, Venom Red and Ivory White. 
A Premium Pack also offers additional leather surfaces and accent lighting within the cabin. 
A premium pack costs up to £2,000. 
A Premium Pack Sport costs up to £2,500. The only different between this and the standard Premium Pack is the carbon effect leather seat inserts and the choice of leather colour. In this pack, you can get Ebony Black with red stitching and piping, or Venom Red, Cocoa Brown and Imperial Blue leather with black details. The Premium Pack Sport offers aesthetics rather than performance or tech.
A Premium Pack with SudeTex is also available, costing up to £2,800 (with an Ebony Black leather and Slate Grey SuedeTex seat combination for the 2+2 option)
While SuedeTex interior gives the car a more luxurious and plush feel, it can be a little difficult to clean.

Sport Pack
The Sport Pack comes with the Lotus Evora S, but can be an optional extra with the standard model. 
This pack offers a more responsible throttle, increase of RPM limit and 
Engine
The Toyota 2GR-FE petrol engine is used in both the Evora and the Evora S, alongside the Lotus engine management system.
This particular engine comes with dual VVT –i variable valve timing. 
Capacity: 3456 cc
Bore or 94mm and stroke of 83mm
Valves: 24 x 4
Power: 266bhp – 275bhp
Torque: 254 lb/ft – 257 lb/ft
Weight: 163 kg when empty

Evora engine
Alongside the base Toyota engine, the T6e engine management system by Lotus allows an increase of 7000rpm during Sports Mode (though not when equipped with the IPS automatic gearbox).
The Evora Toyota engine is configured with a transverse installation and can produce 276hp at 6400rpm and 258lb at 4600 rpm.

Evora S engine
In the case of the Evora S, you’ll see that the engine is a variant of the Toyota 2GR-FE: specifically, the 2GR-FZE.
Thanks to the addition of a Harrop HTV 1320 Supercharger, power is boosted to 345hp at 7000rpm. Torque is kicked up to 295lb/ft at 4500rpm.
Both variants of the Toyota engine are proven to be reliable, but if you are considering buying an Evora it’s best to ask the dealer to get a read of the engine ECU. This would record any evidence of the engine being over-revved, which can cause some damage to the engine. This is noteworthy as it can affect the warranty.

Fuel consumption
The fuel consumption of the Evora is as follows:
Urban – from 1.6 to 21.5 mpg (14.4-13.2 L/100km)
Extra urban – from 37.7 to 42.8 mpg (7.5 – 6.6 L/100km)
Combined – 28.7 – 31.4 mpg (9.9-9.0 L/100km)

Transmission
At present, there are no reported issues regarding the Evora’s transmission – although there have been reports of noise from the drivetrain. This is unlikely to be pointed out by a dealer, but in any case it has not been shown to affect the car’s performance or maintenance.
First issues of the Evora were reported to display a poor gear linkage in manual gearboxes. You can probably expect to have poorer shift quality the older the Evora is, as Lotus seemed to iron this out after the launch of the Evora S.
Some Evoras which display poor shift quality could be covered under warranty.

Seating
One common complaint about the Evora is that the rear seating is somewhat redundant. Evoras are issued with 2+0 or 2+2 seating. 
The most common is the 2+2 seating option, which offers two leather and cloth seats in the back. They’re cosy, to say the least. The 2+0 issue has a rear bench and storage shelf, issued with a net to hold items secure.
It’s perfectly adequate if you’re looking to drive by yourself or with a companion, but there’s not much scope for additional passengers. You can expect to be paying up to £2000 more for the benefit of the extra seats.
Some wear is often reported on the seats. 

Known Evora Issues checklist
Early issue Evoras may have a number of issues which do not necessarily mean the previous owner was careless. Certain parts can be replaced under warranty.

The front door pillar surround on some of the earlier cars sometimes becomes unstuck.

There have been cases of the clips holding the passenger side airbag failing or breaking. This does not affect the safety of the car as the clips are designed to break when an airbag is deployed. You’ll be able to tell if the clips are broken as the lid will be slightly raised. The clips can be repaired, but because of the difficultly of doing so, you would need to get in touch with an approved Lotus Centre.

Earlier cars may show some wear on the Recaro Sportster CS seats. Conversely, the same seats have been used in other cars and displayed the same issues, so this is clearly a quality problem. 

Some corrosion may occur on the rear light surrounds of the Evoras, though the Evora S tackled this problem by being issued with a black rear light surround as standard. 

About the Author:
Peter Fairfield is the co-founder and Director of Autoweb, one of Britain’s leading car classifieds sites. Peter has held various management roles in the car industry for 20 years; having come a long way from parking Lotuses in distribution centres as a young man to launching Autoweb.co.uk, the home of the only free car valuation service that does not require personal details, in 2004, and now owning a Lotus Esprit of his own!

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Probably a good idea as it will give people an idea what to expect and they won't post all the same questions time and again.

Hopefully, they will post topics asking what current owners think of theirs. More than likely, you will still get questions about whether the issues are biggies, but it can't be a bad thing, I would have thought?

well, to be honest, I think a good idea in general but not very precise information, esp he mixes up pre My 12 and My 12 / 13 (leather colors / stereo / light surroundings.....)

Lots of errors in there and lots more missing items.  It isn't misleading as such but not very well researched and as you know having been a LE owner with car #13 down the production line & now on my 4th car I've seen a few issues. 

Will it stop basic questions on the Forum - I doubt it.

Perhaps some exact suggestions can be offered and I can change it for the better?

Specifics please everyone :)

Don't think I'd include prices as they will almost instantly be out of date and are highly subjective.

Bibs, sorry, but I am at least a week away from being able to offer constructive criticism as now into get off ship and travel home mode, followed with immediately 4 days in Norway on a course so don't expect anything from me I'm afraid.

Al.

I'd echo what has already been said; it's fine, just not that accurate.

I'm interested in finding that sport button that gives a "responsible throttle" could save me money on tyres :hrhr: 

I know this may pain you Bibs, but I've spent quite a bit of time updating the playground's wiki :sofa: so you might want to check that out.

The issues list is too short... but I'm too tired to update now. Last dealer visit for warranty stuff was a full A4 sheet laundry list of niggles...

I'll agree, its a good idea, but a poor proposal. We've had several tthread on here from people askig these questions and I think these have been much more comprehensive and specific.

Hi everybody,

I have been working along side with the people writing this, and I would like to thank everyone for their constructive criticism.

I would appreciate if you could state any inaccuracies in this forum or email them to me at the following email address: [email protected] 

Looking forward to hearing from you!!!  :turned:

• Like 1

A very great deal could be added simply from the information on the forums here.  Make that "very very"!

Hi Bibs,

Not bad but basic. Some important issues missing...

In particular the "Known Evora Issues checklist" part is too thin.. It doesn't touch the sort of generous useful detail shared from this forum.

Compare it to the detail in this thread:-

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/55843-pre-purchase-check-list-advice-please/#entry450157

Cheers,

A

Latest revision, any better?

Lotus Evora Buying Guide

Though the Evora has been on the market only three years, used models are starting to emerge on the used car scene. As such, they are still covered under warranty.

Given the high price and quality of the Lotus Evora, not to mention its relative youth, you’re unlikely to come across one which has been mistreated. In any case, there are certain aspects of the design and manufacture issue which may show some signs of wear, even only three years after they were first rolled off the production line.

We’ve pulled together all the information you need when considering buying a Lotus Evora from the used car market.

The Specs

Model Power Engine rev limit Emissions Tax band Insurance group Guide Price

Evora 276hp at 6400 rpm 6400rpm 205g/km CO2 K 50 Up to £51,000

Evora IPS 276hp at 6400 rpm 6400rpm 210g/km CO2 K 47 Up to £53,000

Evora S 345hp at 7000 rpm 7000rpm 229g/km CO2 L 50 Up to £60,000

Evora S IPS 345hp at 7000 rpm 7000rpm 224g/km CO2 K 47 Up to £62,000

It’s worth noting that these prices aren’t available everywhere – in some cases, used Evoras

Pack Identification

Tech Pack

A Lotus Evora with a Tech Pack is easily distinguishable from others, thanks to the fitting of Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel and a double DIN stereo.

Like the standard pack, the Tech Pack stereos are Apline units, the main difference being the touch-screen rather than the standard CD head unit. The speakers are upgraded with a dedicated amplifier, DVD player, USB port, cruise control and Bluetooth mobile phone connection.

There’s also the addition of rear parking sensors and the monitoring of tyre pressure.

A Tech Pack would have set back the previous owner up to £2,800.

Premium Pack                          

The Premium Pack ups the luxury of the Evora, focusing on the interior. Whilst standard Evoras are sometimes issued with a ‘basic’ Ebony Black leather interior, Premium packs can be equipped with leather colours Imperial Blue, Cognac Brown, Cocoa Brown, Ash Grey, Venom Red and Ivory White.

A Premium Pack also offers additional leather surfaces and accent lighting within the cabin.

A premium pack costs up to £2,000.

A Premium Pack Sport costs up to £2,500. The only different between this and the standard Premium Pack is the carbon effect leather seat inserts and the choice of leather colour. In this pack, you can get Ebony Black with red stitching and piping, or Venom Red, Cocoa Brown and Imperial Blue leather with black details. The Premium Pack Sport offers aesthetics rather than performance or tech.

A Premium Pack with SudeTex is also available, costing up to £2,800 (with an Ebony Black leather and Slate Grey SuedeTex seat combination for the 2+2 option)

While SuedeTex interior gives the car a more luxurious and plush feel, it can be a little difficult to clean.

Sport Pack

The Sport Pack comes with the Lotus Evora S, but can be an optional extra with the standard model.

This pack offers a more responsive throttle and an increase in the RPM limit.

Other options

With some of the latest models, you can also choose to add a reversing camera to the dashboard, Powerfold mirrors for parking in tight spaces and, if you’re feeling a little flush, heated seats.

Engine

The Toyota 2GR-FE petrol engine is used in both the Evora and the Evora S, alongside the Lotus engine management system.

This particular engine comes with dual VVT –i variable valve timing.

• Capacity: 3456 cc

• Bore or 94mm and stroke of 83mm

• Valves: 24 x 4

• Power: 266bhp – 275bhp

• Torque: 254 lb/ft – 257 lb/ft

• Weight: 163 kg when empty

Evora engine

Alongside the base Toyota engine, the T6e engine management system by Lotus allows an increase of 7000rpm during Sports Mode (though not when equipped with the IPS automatic gearbox).

The Evora Toyota engine is configured with a transverse installation and can produce 276hp at 6400rpm and 258lb at 4600 rpm.

Evora S engine

In the case of the Evora S, you’ll see that the engine is a variant of the Toyota 2GR-FE: specifically, the 2GR-FZE.

Thanks to the addition of a Harrop HTV 1320 Supercharger, power is boosted to 345hp at 7000rpm. Torque is kicked up to 295lb/ft at 4500rpm.

Both variants of the Toyota engine are proven to be reliable, but if you are considering buying an Evora it’s best to ask the dealer to get a read of the engine ECU. This would record any evidence of the engine being over-revved, which can cause some damage to the engine. This is noteworthy as it can affect the warranty.

Fuel consumption

The fuel consumption of the Evora is as follows:

Urban – from 1.6 to 21.5 mpg (14.4-13.2 L/100km)

Extra urban – from 37.7 to 42.8 mpg (7.5 – 6.6 L/100km)

Combined – 28.7 – 31.4 mpg (9.9-9.0 L/100km)

Transmission

At present, there are no reported issues regarding the Evora’s transmission – although there have been reports of noise from the drivetrain. This is unlikely to be pointed out by a dealer, but in any case it has not been shown to affect the car’s performance or maintenance.

First issues of the Evora were reported to display a poor gear linkage in manual gearboxes. You can probably expect to have poorer shift quality the older the Evora is, as Lotus seemed to iron this out after the launch of the Evora S.

Some Evoras which display poor shift quality could be covered under warranty.

Seating

One common complaint about the Evora is that the rear seating is somewhat redundant. Evoras are issued with 2+0 or 2+2 seating.

The most common is the 2+2 seating option, which offers two leather and cloth seats in the back. They’re cosy, to say the least. The 2+0 issue has a rear bench and storage shelf, issued with a net to hold items secure.

It’s perfectly adequate if you’re looking to drive by yourself or with a companion, but there’s not much scope for additional passengers. You can expect to be paying up to £2000 more for the benefit of the extra seats.

Some wear is often reported on the seats.

Known Evora Issues checklist

Early issue Evoras may have a number of issues which do not necessarily mean the previous owner was careless. Certain parts can be replaced under warranty.

• The front door pillar surround on some of the earlier cars sometimes becomes unstuck.

• There have been cases of the clips holding the passenger side airbag failing or breaking. This does not affect the safety of the car as the clips are designed to break when an airbag is deployed. You’ll be able to tell if the clips are broken as the lid will be slightly raised. The clips can be repaired, but because of the difficultly of doing so, you would need to get in touch with an approved Lotus Centre.

• Earlier cars may show some wear on the Recaro Sportster CS seats. Conversely, the same seats have been used in other cars and displayed the same issues, so this is clearly a quality problem.

• Some corrosion may occur on the rear light surrounds of the Evoras, though the Evora S tackled this problem by being issued with a black rear light surround as standard.

About the Author:

Peter Fairfield is the co-founder and Director of Autoweb, one of Britain’s leading car classifieds sites. Peter has held various management roles in the car industry for 20 years; having come a long way from parking Lotuses in distribution centres as a young man to launching Autoweb.co.uk, the home of the only free car valuation service that does not require personal details, in 2004, and now owning a Lotus Esprit of his own. 

I've only read the first sentence and worried about continuing. The Evora's been on sale for over 4 years and there are a lot of them out of warranty for starters....