free hit
counters
If not Kimi, then who? - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

If not Kimi, then who?

There are strong rumours that Raikkonnen is rejoining Ferrari for next year.

It's fair to say he's been outstanding for F1 in general and Lotus in particular and I for one would hope there's still a chance of retaining him next year. But assuming he does go, who then would everyone like to see replace him?

Got to be Hulkenberg for me and keep Grosjean.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure Alonso doesn't want Kimi there, he's too fast and consistent! Alonso has also publicly supported Massa who is happy to exactly what he's told. I've no idea what's in it for Massa (apart from

Alonzo has a multiple year contract with Ferrari.  But - and purely speculation here - what if there was some kind of out clause on either side and Alonso is actually out at Ferrari and to be replaced

Lotus not paying their bills?  Imagine that.

Posted Images

I'm sure Alonso doesn't want Kimi there, he's too fast and consistent! Alonso has also publicly supported Massa who is happy to exactly what he's told. I've no idea what's in it for Massa (apart from the salary, fame, women and racing the coolest cars on the planet!) but I get the impression Luca di Montezemelo wants to put Alonso in his place somewhat. That might mean having the team mate Ferrari say he's having.

I hope Kimi does stay with Lotus I also think he fits in well with the team, his style and approach is embraced there. But Lotus need to give him a car that can win next year. It would be a shame to see his talent go to waste and I can't see them keeping long if that were the case.

• Like 1

Alonzo has a multiple year contract with Ferrari.  But - and purely speculation here - what if there was some kind of out clause on either side and Alonso is actually out at Ferrari and to be replaced with KIMI (rather than teaming with him).  THen Alonso goes to Lotus - or back to Enstone, where he won his previous Championship and has a good relationship.

So maybe Kimi/Hulk at Ferrari and Alonso/Grosjean at Lotus.

• Like 1

Kyle Kaulback

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It would be a massive about face for Ferrari and in particular Luca di Montezemolo - they paid Kimi $20m not to drive to make make way for Alonso remember. It boils down to the relationship and commitment to Lotus by Renault for next year and budget to keep up with the development race with Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes. That in turn depends on the deal with Infinity Racing and Lopez/Boulier aren't quite there yet. If all these come together in time than Kimi will stay I'm sure. Lotus treat him as he wants to be treated - its a good environment for him as he's said many times.

One other factor influencing his decision is James Allinson who has just started working at Ferrari after his 'gardening leave' following his departure from Lotus. Kimi has a lot of respect for him and he would be working with him again if he makes the move. Kimi is less bothered about his retainer than whether he gets the tools and people to do the job. If Boulier/Lopez wobble, Kimi will go.

Its pretty much an open secret the Hulk is Boulier's Plan B. Its probably a good one to.

Edited by hedgerley

Hulkenberg would be a great hiring for Lotus, he's a real talent but I think it would work out better for Ferrari to have Alonso and Hulkenberg than Alonso and Raikkonnen. I can't see that working out too well for either Alonso or Kimi. Puts Ferrari in really difficult position if Kimi starts beating Alonso as Alonso would surely leave Ferrari in one hell of a huff!?

Announced where?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Evora NA

Alonso is getting a former Lotus F1 team tech director, more cash than he can dream of, all the passion he can get. He could at least accommodate himself getting a fast teammate who won't take no for an answer. I sort of know what Alonso is worth as a driver but nobody knows what Ferrari is really worth as a team these days cause their other driver is just a nice lapdog, their manager has to bend seven different ways to satisfy his primadona top driver and it takes intervention from Ferrari supremo to bring order in the house. I wonder how the team will handle Kimi whopping fernando's ass. 

Ever since Todt, Brawn and Byrne have left the team, the reds have been underperforming, considering the money they get Vs points they scored.

So there we go then. I see the logic in wanting Raikkonnen's consistency but still think they'd get that and more from Hulkenberg plus less risk of a political shitstorm. They handled Kimi badly in the past on his own it would have been so much better to start with a clean slate and a new driver. Theres just no way Kimi's going there to help Alonso win.

Still I think Hulkenberg is overdue a decent car and I really hope they go for him over Massa! I can't believe Mclaren went for Perez instead. Grojean also showed immense speed before all the crashes, usually faster than Kimi too so hopefully back to his audacious best we'll see some more wins next year.

Guest surferphil

Grojean needs to finish the race without crashing before he can win anything/ be of any value.

It looks to me like Ferrari want Kimi to win and to kick the ego out of Alonso for being 'a driver who thinks he is bigger than Ferrari'.

Speculation on who will drive for Lotus next season?

I thought Di resta was good until the last race (Monza).

Saward has Hulkenburg tipped to replace Kimi (and the media has reported previously that he was Lotus' Plan B), but I still think it would be cool to see Alonso back at Enstone and driving for Lotus.

Kyle Kaulback

I may be in denial and clutching at straws, but as Japonik points out the BBC piece has no official comment from Lotus, Ferrari or Raikonnen. It is also NOTbeing reported on the Autosport site which only has the piece about Massa leaving Ferrari and no follow up as to who will replace him.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest its not cut and dried yet and Kimi will stay with Lotus next year :sofa: