free hit
counters
V8 vs S4 Weight - Page 2 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
CarlC

V8 vs S4 Weight

And add to that the SE of say 1990 have no abs brakes, small brakes, small wing, light seats, fewer loudspeakers, no 6 cd-changer, no alarm system, no storage space lights, no power steering, lighter rear end under bumper and light engine and no airbags, sensors and wireing, lighter steering Wheel, no knee-bars, lighter Wheels etc.

My official Lotus Esprit Turbo SE 1990 manual says on page 68, that an 1990 SE weighs 1305 Kg fully loaded with oil, coolant and 74 Liters of fuel. Subtract the fuel, and you see, that an SE is a fairly low weight car.

Same manual quotes the carburettor model is weighing 1339 Kilo, the injection model 1282 Kilo, and as mentioned the SE at 1305 Kilo. Fully fueled remind you.

A V8 cannot beat that in terms of weight. Power is another matter, and as it's been said, how the ecu controls that.

Saying the v8 is ultra fast compared to a 4 cylinder car, when the v8 is then chipped or a special model, is a bit strange, as we can then add the "special" features of other models to the standard 4-pot. Like other ecu, turbo, cylinderhead, bigger inlet valves. Add to that the bigger coolers, aluminium tanks, Sport300 specs like turbo, seats, no aircon etc, and it's another ballgame. And then we can add double chargecoolers tot eh v8, bigger turbos etc. And then we add waterinjection to both etc. So either we talk standard cars, or modified cars.

I have shaved a fair amount of kilos off all over my SE for example, and added Sport300 specs to the engine, save the cylinderhead (later), plus added a very light tubular manifold, exhaust and free flow cat. That moves the car fast forward, so it would benefit from better suspension, as you will have to be able to put that power into the asphalt.

Not being a pissing contest ;), I'd say that the earlier cars are lighter, and time demanded more equipment, such as comfort seats (heavy), more stereo, airbags, sound deadening, fatter carpets, power steering etc, and the v8 engine. All weighing up. An SE is probably the best bet for a fast light Esprit (Or better still: the Sport300.). Mind you even the front bumper of the Sport300 is fairly much lighter than a standard Esprit bumper from the 1988 models up. I'll measure that later on.

Racing the cars from say 70 mph on a dead straight road is to me something quite strange. I don't get the point in that. If you drive against a light or lighter car, by doing so, it would take out a variable of the equation. Take a look at quartermile race, such as top fuel. Can you imagine those cars accelerating from 70 mph? Let it be 0-100 km/h. if need be.

Speaking of petrol, I rarely fill it up to all 74 Liters, but usually half or there about. Don't need those kilos when driving. It makes me stop more often, enjoy the scenery, the road, the landscape, and take a leak, as we all get older ;)  And my SE is not as thirsty as a V8.

Real World driving is more interesting. Going on a dead straight road for miles and miles, must be a serioudly boring thing, and that does not really exist here in Europe. We har hills and curves, hence the Whole spors car idea. Places on the Earth with those afore mentioned long straight roads is a US thing, as they jsut carve the road through anything the hit on their way (very generally speaking). That is why some people like to find some twisty roads over in the US and explore them. Can you imagine a programme like "One Take" taking place on a long dead straight road? I mean, who would want to Watch hat?

On the other hand, if I had  an Esprit V8, I would want something for my Money in that big nice red engine ;)

Speaking of which, take a look at the video where an older guy races an Esprit v8 against a modern Exige. Puts Things in perspective. And in it's right order. Or this Sumer where I had the pleasure of being in an Elise with sticky racing tires against heavier cars such as a modern McLaren. Only on the straight the McLaren could come into play on it's road tires.

That said, I of course also like to feel acceleration, and here is not only power but also weight a factor to include. And weight distribution, center of gravity, height etc.

I know for sure which Esprit I'd like to race on a narrow curvy road ;)

ps: I have a simple Little 4 pot esprit with only 330 Hp and 415 Nm. and a lot less kilos.

Less is more.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

And you could have a turbo as well - but you own a v8 and it's gonna eat a whole turbo in repair bills

• Haha 1

Only here once

If you are in need of someone to now chip in about the virtues of the S4s......I'm your man:lol:

On 10/09/2017 at 10:06, Jacques said:

Same manual quotes the carburettor model is weighing 1339 Kilo

Stephens I assume?  My kerb weight is listed as 1200 Kilo (handbook)

22 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

If you are in need of someone to now chip in about the virtues of the S4s......I'm your man:lol:

Oooh now that's low 

• Haha 1

Only here once

34 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

And you could have a turbo as well - but you own a v8 and it's gonna eat a whole turbo in repair bills

I meant a Turbo Esprit, not one of those Esprit Turbo V8 lookalike wannabes...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

No, it's marked SJ Sports Cars.

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

And contained spares for the V8 Esprit...

Because of the Danish tax system paying 105% on an old car, I am now so thin that I need to add weight to the Esprit, or I will fly around in the Wind. Being in the Esprit that is.

Had to pay gbp 8,60 for a alternator voltage regulator, which collapsed after a measely 27 years. Got to be a warranty repair. Urgh... it's so expensive to drive those 4-pot Esprit's...

12 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

No....due to the massively huge repair bills to our V8's, we can't afford to eat....fat bastards drive 4 pots:P

And even then we are lighter than those overweight V8 Eterna comfort cars... ;)

Nah, give me a modern lightweight down-sized petrol friendly 4-pot Esprit ;) 

Cheers,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Ah, so the V8 copied it's looks from the Sport 300.  I'm glad we've cleared that up, then.

Margate Exotics.

No!!!! The Sport 300 is the veritable king of Esprits. Of all Loti. It's the master of any Lotus vehicle now bearing the "Sport" moniker. Maybe not in performance, but in looks. By a country mile. And I say this as someone who recently went out joyriding in a Sport 380. And a Sport 350 (Exige V6). Goddammit I want a Sport 300. 

However, for the V8 I will say this: where the 4 pot cars thrill with their agility and fun factor up to 100 km/h, the v8 makes absolute mincemeat of them from 100-200 km/h and beyond. And it's all so effortless!!!! :bustedcop: 

• Like 1

I have read a bit here and there, but could someone list up a complete list of lighter features over the normal v8 Esprits?

And weight on the cars and those parts that differ?

Cheers,

Jacques.

Some interesting data from performance Esprit, I was surprised to see how out of balance the corner weights were on the V8, and with a RHD driver installed even more off balance, that's either very clever and would counteract normal road camber, or the area is set up for the LHD market.

FB_IMG_1505424246764.jpg.ddcacefa7bbe641db9e699f9dd0367bc.jpg

FB_IMG_1505424228991.jpg.0cf2d9762f45d3cbd4abb85e2fbfe9bd.jpg

Moving the battery to the other side could help.

Interesting numbers! But 1276.5 kg for a V8?! Can it really be true? 

The difference for the '90 N/A is even bigger, that is listed at 1310kg (with full tank). Main difference is at the rear, so maybe the cars in the test had empty tanks to start with?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 05:29, Vanya said:

Interesting numbers! But 1276.5 kg for a V8?! Can it really be true? 

Of course: The V8 gearbox was out being fixed at the time.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.