free hit
counters
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1978 Lotus Esprit S2

Hey Fabian,

I'm reluctant to drill my freshly repainted tailgate. I've left it all with Andy's Restorations to sort out. They reckon they'll use one of the pins on the new bezel, cut the other ones off, and bond the thing on. I'll update on how it goes.

Thanks for the tip on the window spacers. I'm finding SJ parts to be hit and miss.

I'm thinking all leather inside, probably black, or if that's too dark and gloomy some kind of dark grey.

Tartan is only for the S1, no?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If I had an S1 I would go the full Bond, but since I have an S2 I think I'll go my own way and leather on the interior. 

PO on my car put his own boot boards in, so it's a right mess, will be interested to see how you go.

Meanwhile, found these on eBay. This guy in Italy always has a whole lot of NOS Lotus parts, so I'm guessing these are original and will fit properly. They're gold, but I could get them redone in silver chrome.

$_12.JPG

Edited by Freemason

I bought a new set of LOTUS letters and they fit perfectly? The early cars didn't have the letters on and they were drilled at the dealers - there's even a service note for it. So consequently some of them are all over the place as they probably did it by eye and on my car a couple of the letters aren't straight but I left them like it as it's character :huh:

Oh the joys of owning a hand built car hahaha

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Did you buy from SJ? Their letters are a mm or two shorter and don't fit the holes properly. My holes look like they're from the factory, and mine being an S2 I reckon they all would have come like that. I'm going to try and get this perfect as it's something I'm going to be looking at all the time. 

Did you buy from SJ? Their letters are a mm or two shorter and don't fit the holes properly. My holes look like they're from the factory, and mine being an S2 I reckon they all would have come like that. I'm going to try and get this perfect as it's something I'm going to be looking at all the time. 

Mine came from Paul Matty as he was cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Chassis at Redistrip after chemical stripping:

IMG_6782_zpsvsrrohev.jpg

Chassis is now at Lowe Fabrications for repairs. As mentioned previously the previous owner had cut a section out of the tube next to the exhaust manifold:

image3_zpsc3mr5ldw.jpg

Lowe have fixed this by inserting a removable section. They thought it was for access to the alternator and that it would be useful to have access here. Should I leave it like this or ask them to replace the section entirely? I didn't ask for this so not sure why they've done it this way. If I want to change it now is the time before I start assembling the chassis. I'm not sure how this will affect the rigidity of the chassis and whether it's worth having  the removable section for access to the manifold.

image2_zpsfdyq0kur.jpg

image4_zpsmv2x1qco.jpg

image5_zpszkzn5kb9.jpg

image6_zpswbdb7pbn.jpg

image7_zpshigvax4w.jpg

image8_zpsxezhefwx.jpg

image9_zpscizw4fsy.jpg

image10_zpsgbucsawj.jpg

image11_zps8jyfovuu.jpg

Edited by Freemason

That looks really smart! Only problem is the alternator is on the other side of the engine!

I would leave it, as long as the chassis is now rigid. I suspect the reason the repair was there in the first place was that the heat from the manifold caused damage. I suggest wrapping the area with a form of heat shield to avoid the same thing happening. I used some reflective mat.

Pete 

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Ok I might leave it. Looks like they've done a nice job, it's just a question of whether it's worth having the removable section at all. Is there any practical value in having this section removable? Maybe later for access to the manifold?

They always rot under the exhaust manifold - mine was rotten through in that area and for anybody buying an early Esprit this should be the first place to check.

If it were mine I'd replace the whole section. In fact that's exactly what I did and whilst I was at it I replaced all the other tubes as well...

16921b7.jpg

I made a jig to hold it all square and then tack welded the tubes in place before taking it to a professional TIG welder to weld it up as I didn't trust my welding.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Reading down through and not having gotten to the photos I was thinking "get them to put it back to original!", but that chassis mod is a beautiful job. The pal who I bought my S2 from told me he had tighten up the manifold bolts periodically. He put it down to the differing expansion rates of the cast iron and aluminium. (I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience or thoughts on whether he just didn't have his bolts cinched up enough. The few Esprit's I've ever heard running sounded like they were blowing). 

Anyway point is... I suspect that if you do ever need to get at the manifold you'll wonder how anyone copes without your chassis mod :)

Beautiful work all round btw and I for one would love to know the results of a weigh in on your redundant mild steel parts. And if it wasn't a personal question; the cost of all that titanium. I've got a feeling we're talking in the region of the purchase price of a rough Esprit!

That's a very good mod but for my feeling I woud not buy a perfectly restored car with such a modification. I would keep it original and if you want to be rust-manifold proof here what I have done on my chassis prior to buy a new one...stainless steel tubes painted and it will look original.  Giorgio

DSC00090.jpg

I've actually now asked the fabricator to restore that tube back to the original solid section. It's a bit of a pity because they did do such a nice job on the removable section, but I'd rather it be structurally rigid and looking original. I'll probably wrap with Teknofibra to guard against the heat from the manifold.

George: yes, titanium fetish is super-expensive and certainly blowing the budget on this restoration!

Edited by Freemason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally made the trek to go visit the chassis at Lowe Fabrications:

IMG_2553_zps8xubgwzk.jpg

IMG_2555_zpsfoghnfub.jpg

IMG_2556_zpsruecdwya.jpg

Repairs needed here:

IMG_2557_zpshpvpjtds.jpg

Looks like heat damage from manifold here:

IMG_2559_zpsfni7ebss.jpg

Stuck my camera inside the central box section for these:

IMG_2561_zpsyjbujl0l.jpg

IMG_2562_zpslm6uwjlu.jpg

Plan now is to carry out repairs and then powder coat chassis.

Edited by Freemason

Silly me, forgot to look there. The section around the radiator surround though is quite bad with a lot of metal missing and will need repairs.

George do you also have a white Esprit S2? Looking forward to your build thread!

Yes mate! Mine is 458G. I'll let you in on a secret. My car is originally silver and will be going back to original spec. So when I'm daydreaming I look at your car. Love those first pics :)

My chassis has been abused so I'm worried about the suspension geometry. I'll either build a jig or have it put on one to check it once I get the car stripped. I'll be doing as much of my own work as possible so it'd be amazing if you could get your chassis guy to snap a few pics of what he does, but of course no worries if not.

Car is looking great,  having the door beams anodised is super ocd but if your heading in that direction this car will

stunning in the end with that sort attention to detail ;)

Also silver is a fantastic colour for the esprit, not that I am saying that as one of mine is silver ^_^ but honestly most

people who have seen my car say silver shows the esprit classic sharp lines really well.

Keep up the great work 

A