free hit
counters
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 20 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

1978 Lotus Esprit S2

Well done. I'm really impressed how you are doing all this in that car park! It's really coming on now. I have taken the binnacle apart and put it all back so many times now I've lost count. It gets easier the more you do it!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah having it where I live makes it so much easier to get things done. I can duck down and do some work on it whenever I have spare time.

Binnacle itself is not so hard to remove, it's all the wiring that makes it so tricky, Fabian you must be a pro at it by now!

While I think of it. If you are replacing your loom - cut the wires and leave a stub connected. Don't just disconnect.

That way you will be able to easily identify what go's where.

Have been making slow but steady progress gutting interior. Funny the things you find as you uncover what's underneath.

The passenger footwell for example has two inexplicable holes. One looks like it's been patched up from factory with a heavy rubber, the same type used on the driver's side sills where the handbrake mechanism is. It's perished with the years though, and falls apart in your hands, my finger went through it pretty easily. The other hole is further down where it joins the floor and is covered with a small metal plate screwed through the body. Both these holes go through to the underside of the car. Weird that it came like this from factory, I wonder if this is just on my car or if this is a patch-up job they did on every S2 body?

IMG_3404_zpsiw1latj0.jpg

On my car at the front of each footwell is a chassis bolt? There's a spacer behind it about 15 MM thick. A bobbin is fibreglassed to the inside to spread the load. That could be the middle one in the picture, but on my car it's much lower near where you have the plate but on the right.

Yes the hole above the plate is my chassis bolt. 

I also thought it might have something to do with pre-drilled holes for LH drive cars, so I ripped out the carpets in the driver's side footwell and found it to have a mirror image of the patched-up holes on the left side!

Very strange, I'd be interested to know if other S2s are the same.

IMG_3463_zpsnlfaadgr.jpg

Could be, both guesses sound plausible!

George, are you asking what I'm going to do with these holes I've discovered? I will cadmium plate and paint the plates and refit them in their original positions with nuts and bolts instead of screws. The right black patch I will leave alone and Dynamat over, because it is in decent shape. The left one is more brittle so I will probably remove. I'll Dynamat and Dynaliner over the top of it on the inside, and on the body underside I will cut a patch of something I'll probably have leftover from when I do the tunnel underside such as Dynamat Hoodliner and cover with this. 

What a mess that last picture, eh?

Another question:

This antenna, is it original? I believe my car did not come with a sound system from factory, but a PO installed a radio in the slot ahead of the gear lever and speakers in the doors. Could it be that he also installed this aftermarket aerial?

If this turns out to be the case I really should have removed with when I did the body!

IMG_3438_zpsmkiyvwob.jpg

IMG_3444_zpsgslaiyuw.jpg

Edited by Freemason

There is a hole in each foot well that allows access to the long bolt from the lower (I think) suspension link. The bolt has to be inserted/revoved via that hole too.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

But these holes look like they've been patched up permanently, and no one has ever used them. The carpet has been glued over them, so if they ever needed to be used you'd have to perform some serious surgery and butcher the footwells. 

On 5/31/2016 at 14:10, Freemason said:

But these holes look like they've been patched up permanently, and no one has ever used them. The carpet has been glued over them, so if they ever needed to be used you'd have to perform some serious surgery and butcher the footwells. 

Carpet on mine was glued over them too. The holes I'm referring to have cover plates screwed in with self tappers to cover them. Do you have those?

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Have made progress with removing interior, everything is out except for the heater unit and a few bits and pieces.

IMG_3575_zpsmokq1rpx.jpg

While I've got the car like this I'm thinking about removing the sills and refurbishing or replacing the seat belt and handbrake mounts. Looks to be a very tricky job though. Also, my RH sill looks like this:

IMG_3587_zps0ged7usl.jpg

What is that clear bit in the middle? Has someone had a go at cutting at the sill and patched it up? The rivets along the top for the sill in that clear section are covered by resin, everywhere else they are exposed, so makes me think it's something that's been done by a PO.

Maybe they did it to gain access to replace the mounts? If they are OK I wouldn't try to replace now you have sprayed the car. Could turn into a disaster! I'm speaking from experience. There are so many things I would have done before spraying if I had owned my car at that time and not got it half way through a restoration.

Yes that's been done by a previous owner and isn't original. Quite a few cars have had the handbrake bracket snap off as the welds weren't that strong so my guess is that somebody yanked on the handbrake and it came away in their hand. Somebody then cut that hole to fish out the bracket and repair it before refitting it and glassing over the hole. A friend of mine has exactly the same as you for this very reason.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Registration number: APF 105T

✗ Untaxed

Tax due: 01 April 1995

MOT

No details held by DVLA

Vehicle details

• Vehicle make LOTUS
  • Date of first registration 09 January 1979
  • Year of manufacture 1979
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 1973cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type PETROL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Not taxed
  • Vehicle colour RED
  • Vehicle type approval Not available
  • Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight Not available

Red? Factory colour was white L25, but I know it had had a red respray sometime in its life, this must have happened in the UK.

I though the date of manufacture was 1978, not 1979. Unit No. 78100524G. Maybe they got mixed up with the day of first registration.

Tax due in 1995 so must have been imported to Australia sometime after that.

Have stripped just about everything now, just a few annoying bits and pieces left. What are these two bolts on the right here? There are actually three, one is out of sight. This is looking down into the front right boot corner, at the top is the headlamp pod and in the middle the headlamp pod bracket holes. Those threads go through to the underside of the body, but it's just a thread or stud, no nuts or bolt heads. There's that strange ring thing holding it from the boot side. I'm not sure if the guys who removed the body have cut them. Should I just angle grind them off? Does anyone know what they do and why they have those rings on them?

IMG_3387_zpsziymcwsh.jpg

Here's looking from underneath at the underside of the front. Along the top you can make out two of the three threads going through the body.

IMG_3394_zps1hutobqw.jpg

Edited by Freemason