free hit
counters
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 24 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1978 Lotus Esprit S2

Have refurbished rear 3/4 windows. Every little job ends up taking way longer than expected. I've left off the brackets that bolt into the body, don't see the point of them if the window frames are bonded in anyway? The brackets are fitted at such an awkward angle, both on the frames and on the body, I can't see them providing much support. 

Before:

IMG_4451_zpsgizhwymw.jpg

After:

IMG_6803_zpssnl97rgt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 3 weeks later...

LH taillight on, RH one just needs the outer surround fitted. Have installed both S2 3 piece rear light units with no rivets and no screws. Unbelievable amount of fettling involved in putting it all together with little M3 nuts and bolts. Fit M3 threaded insert nuts on the rear light outer trim so I could fit it with with M3 bolts instead of the original screws that destroy the plastic.

Also, I've taken to using nylon washers on fibreglass instead of metal. I find you get a better 'fit' and they don't dig and cut into the fibreglass when tightened.

IMG_7328_zpszohyynau.jpg

Also fit foam around the outer trim so no water gets in. New rear lights from www.rimmerbros.co.uk.

IMG_7334_zpstwk9gvdi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Having trouble with the outer lens trim. It's so tight around the lens, I have to really jam it in and push the lenses in. Because the outer trims are too small for the lenses, they won't fit all the way and are not flush on the bodywork.

How are other S2 trims? Are they a looser fit that goes right over the lenses? I'm thinking of sanding them down to get a better fit.

Note gap at bottom:

IMG_7595_zpswlnqhovj.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trying to get the BC post finishers on. 

SJ refabrications on the left, originals on the right:

IMG_9414_zpsscnog133.jpg

Look the same, right? Not so, unfortunately, the SJ parts are different, and do not fit my S2. The dimensions are all slightly different, even the curvature, so it won't even sit on the body.

As has happened so often, I'll go back to my original parts. They have a few cracks but at least they fit properly!

Here's the SJ part below. Doesn't sit on the body at all. Vents are different, and even height is different, so the foam bit SJ sells won't fit inside. Might be for a later model?

IMG_9413_zpsvsvf4cdr.jpg

So my rear 1/4 windows appear to be later S2 bonded in type but the SJ B post trims for the earlier bolted in type appear from the pics on the SJ website to be a closer match to my originals.

Confused as hell now. 

That may be the case Antonio,  Not sure what the change over month was,  but a chassis number pinged at Steve may help as i am sure he will know,  It would greatly explain the different curves of your old ones to the sj ones you just purchased. :(

A

How are the S1 rear 1/4 windows bolted in? Wierd that I seem to have bonded-in rear 1/4 windows but the trim that goes with the bolt-in type. 

Think I'll return these pieces to SJ and have the other type of trims sent. If these don't fit the others must!

Not sure what year you have Antonio but may of been a case of lotus just using up stock at hethal before the change over, I am sure plenty of stuff like this happened,  even the early stevens had the old S3 gearboxes with the inboard brakes for a short while,  I suppose stuff could of been added to the spares inventory but it would of been a lot of money for lotus to put on the shelf rather than send out the door imo.  

A

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For sure, fully paid up member.

Meanwhile... Dynaliner on sections of rear bulkhead and cabin rear window outer frame:

IMG_0372_zps8nomp393.jpg

Rear window then fitted. Drilled out the holes along the side and bottom, so the window frame is now bolted in:

IMG_0421_zpstaohlgog.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

On a roll with the rear bulkhead area, so next mini-project is to fix up the cabin rear window trim. Have removed old marcasite trim, removed and painted the rusted brackets, fixed up a few cracks, and fit Dynamat Superlite on the inside. This should also reinforce the 40-year-old plastic that is prone to cracking.

IMG_0622_zpswv4e0bg6.jpg

I think I'm going to get it trimmed, just so I can have something pretty and finished to look at. This will force me to commit to a scheme for the interior. Have been thinking for a while now that I'm not a fan of the original marcasite and to hell with originality I'll do it my way in a combination of black leather and tartan. Tartan would be on the areas where the S2 originally has the contrast trim, so sections of the seats, back pocket, door card inserts, etc etc. I don't want an S1 Bond copycat though so I'm thinking a black/white tartan.

Found this:

lotus-tartan-car-seats.jpg

http://www.scotlandshop.com/tartanblog/index.php/2016/02/tartan-projects-car-seat-upholstery/

ScotlandShop provided the material for this Exige Sport 350 and does the same tartan pattern in black/white. I'm having some swatches sent. I think a black/white tartan will break it up quite nicely, all black leather would be too cavernous. 

Menzies Black/White Modern PolyViscose BA048T

menzies-black-white-polyviscose-tartan-s

Edited by Freemason
  • Like 1

Like it a lot, very out of the norm for an S2 restoration so looking forward to seeing the tartan in. So will the rear bulkhead trim be leather or what?

i took my trim off the car a while back and I pass it everyday and wonder whether I should go the xtra sound proofing route or not. It's one of hose things 

Yeah I've soundproofed the #$%^ out of the bulkhead on both sides. Dynamat and Dynaliner everywhere! Would be interesting to run my car when it's finished against an original and see if the modern materials make a difference. 

The rear bulkhead trim would be black leather with tartan on the front of the centre pocket, where the S1 has tartan and the S2 has the contrast trim.

The one with the red pops more. Without it the black and white is too serious and the Esprit has more personality than that. Just looking at that Elise(?) photo, wondering whether the pronounced and relatively close ribs in the Esprit seats will have an undesired effect on the pattern of the tartan? Have you tried pleating the fabric to get an idea?

That Scotlandshop.com's tartan finder is mesmerising! 

Bold move Antonio.  I suppose anyone can always revert back to original if needed.

Definitely go for the one with the red strip, if you're going to go different, then might as well go all the way ;)

Vin Taylor

2 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

What is the thinking behind doing this... noise? Heat?

Both. Though Dynamat is more for noise and Dynaliner more for heat. 

The Autocar Jan 1979 review of the S2 is titled "The Noisy Thoroughbred" and they complain about "boom and resonance periods" in the cabin.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoadtests/Autocar_Jan79.html 

17 minutes ago, Freemason said:

Both. Though Dynamat is more for noise and Dynaliner more for heat. 

The Autocar Jan 1979 review of the S2 is titled "The Noisy Thoroughbred" and they complain about "boom and resonance periods" in the cabin.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ERoadtests/Autocar_Jan79.html 

Living in the UK, heat has never been a problem for me! I have heard stories of problems with resonance and I inadvertently cured this problem when I repaired my chassis. The tubes at the back were rotten and I replaced the top 2 with 4mm wall thickness steel and hey presto no resonance :)

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I figured it couldn't hurt. It's the lighter version of the stuff so hardly adds any bulk at all, and as mentioned before also serves to reinforce the flimsy deteriorating plastic. 

Good work on your chassis!

3 hours ago, GTK said:

The one with the red pops more. Without it the black and white is too serious and the Esprit has more personality than that.

Yeah with the plain black and white it might end up looking too serious as you say, definitely don't want it to look too Burberry. 

Might just do the map pocket in the one with the red line and see how it looks on the rear bulkhead trim with black leather. Then I'm thinking some kind of grey for the carpets.

Burberry never even entered my head so I think you're safe. Doing the pocket as a test is a great idea. One way or the other I think you're on a nice track. Charcoal grey carpet?