free hit
counters
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 27 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Freemason

1978 Lotus Esprit S2

Fridge, where did you get your stainless replacements? I would like to do mine as they are looking a bit tired... Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, skiing said:

Fridge, where did you get your stainless replacements? I would like to do mine as they are looking a bit tired... Thanks.

Hawks Fasteners on Skipper's Lane Industrial Estate, Middlesbrough, UK.

But any stainless steel fastener place will stock them. They're not unique to Lotus!

Great, many thanks - any ideas which bolt type they are - I will most likely have to order online. 

Sorry no, I just took in my old bolts. They're the experts in fasteners, not me. I just fit 'em.

Mine were M6 X 20mm. It really depends on your car though and how many shims you fit between the hing and bonnet. 

Axminster alloy fuel tanks do not come with holes predrilled on the side mounting brackets, so measured and drilled a hole, (being very careful not to drill through the tank!), then fitted a rivnut:

IMG_5313

IMG_5315

Bolt now secures the tank through the side from the engine bay:

IMG_5324

Picked up some parts I'd left at Pioneer Plating in Sydney. The black parts are black zinc plated with a satin clear coat over the top.

IMG_5477

IMG_5482

Have started reassembling heater box. Didn't get very far before I discovered that plater has ruined a few parts, namely I think those made of cast alloy. Looks like zinc plating eats at the alloy:

IMG_5918

IMG_5920

IMG_5921

So now I have this thingo used to adjust the flaps inside the box that has had half its metal eaten away and is ruined.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement? It's the yellow part on here:

IMG_1726

IMG_1720

• Like 1

Bummer. When restoration goes too far.

Always best to keep it original.

@Matt-watts has made these in the past. As the longer ones are prone to break. Not sure what you're going to do otherwise.

Yeah on reflection that was a dumb thing to do now that I know zinc plating eats at cast alloy.

I've bought the longer one from Matt Watts before, as my original one had snapped, I'll send him a PM.

I wouldn't have thought the zinc plating process would have been that corrosive.

The one local to me doesn't achieve the results that you and @Paul Coleman have had. My stuff comes out very insipid looking in comparison. Shame.

I even had stuff done again.

I think they use a low ecological impact process. Or perhaps northern beer. By the looks of it, the latter.

Good look with replacing the lever.

Matt Watts unfortunately never had the shorter ones made, only the longer ones.

The metal is so thin now I can bend the whole piece with my fingers.

Edited by Freemason

Pity. But as I feared.

It's off to the local machine shop for you then. Fortunately it's not the hardest thing to make.

Get someone to dob a bit of weld into the hole and drill and tap out. Perhaps add a grub screw like Matt has done.

Edited by Fridge

3D print it. There are some materials that would be equally as strong.

4 hours ago, Rolls said:

3D print it. There are some materials that would be equally as strong.

Not a bad idea! I need to find however an original part to have it reproduced. Mine has actually now snapped in two so is pretty much useless as a model. 

Spoke with the plater, appartently it is the cleaning process and degreasing process that eats at the diecast, not the zinc-plating itself. I didn't have a lot of small parts so it's unfortunate that the part wasn't identified as not steel. 

I guess I've learnt my lesson...

• Sad 1

Just go to a machine shop. They'll make it before you've even typed in the 3D model.

Tech is fine, but for stuff like this that was made in the 1960/70's by some bloke wearing a flat cap and wide lapels it can be easily remade again without hours of desk time. Unless you want to make 10-100's of them.

• Like 1

Had to put this up when you mentioned flat caps and wide lapels.

Top man and such a legendf4522332b5334be75cfb3629d2797512--traction-my-hero.jpg.de3d55d13543e9bccb3cbe0276df8586.jpg may

he rest in peace.  Probably still building things up there or knocking them down.

Looking at the panel gaps I think he worked at Lotus Cars (Blackburn branch), and built my S1.

Traction engines don't have panels to gap.

• Like 1

I am sure if he had built it, it would of been fine, clever bloke and born in the wrong era, he should of been born in the Victorian era. 

Panel gaps would of been fine on your S1 it would of been the steam engine he would of fitted and where he put the coal storage that would of worried me ! 

• Like 1

Good news, Roland has generously offered to provide a sample part for copying. Luckily his heater box is out at the moment awaiting refurbishing so the part should be easy to remove. 

I might look into 3D printing, I like the idea of scanning and reproducing an exact copy. If the cost frightens me off, it's off to the machine shop...

Edited by Freemason

Will be intresting to see what they will charge you for lazer scanning a small part like that.  

.... it'll be interesting to see how much time it takes to design and replicate it.

It's an hours work on a lathe.

Looks like a lovely job. Is the rear board a board or a pair of boards? Ive never seen them.

Looks fantastic Antonio,  :thumbup:   do not use a boot floor in any of mine, so forget how tidy the esprits rear compartment can look :)