free hit
counters
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 28 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Freemason

1978 Lotus Esprit S2

2 hours ago, GTK said:

Looks like a lovely job. Is the rear board a board or a pair of boards? Ive never seen them.

The picture is of one board. Then there will be a gap and another board creating a shelf from the bottom frame of the rear 1/4 window.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

These are the templates we have, the boot carpet template was taken from a very knackered original carpet, but the tank cover and quarterlight panel templates are guesstimates. 

If anyone is prepared to send me some paper templates of the original boards id be eternally grateful. 20181010_201147.thumb.jpg.5e4b214422f5b1769e0a486b65b7ccee.jpg

• Like 1

@Freemason Sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant what are the rear boards like, my car didn't have them because they were out when the house they were in burnt down. There are some small triangular panels that finish the area between the aft part of the rear inner arch and the tail light/back panel area that I'm missing too. Like Steve at some point I'm going to have to find someone to template from.

@Steve V8 I have the tank cover and quarter light shelf panels, can template to newspaper no prob :)

2 hours ago, GTK said:

I have the tank cover and quarter light shelf panels, can template to newspaper no prob :)

George that would be amazing, I'll Pm you my address. 

With regard to the triangular panels of which you speak, these are simple 9mm ply boards fitted to angle brackets located approximately halfway down  the wheelarch, leaving a void of around 9" between the board and inside of the rear wing/quarter panels.

If you look at the boot carpet template in my photo, imagine it as a flattened out box, the rear flap and sides fold up to create a tub of carpet which is secured to the triangular boards and two pieces of ply on the rear light panel with poppers.

I haven't seen the original rear panel board either. But the owner of that S2 made them in two halves. 

@GTK bear in mind some S2s had the earlier, S1, style boot boards, which are far simpler than @Steve V8 has indicated. You'll need to do some homework.

• Like 2

And mine is an early S2, thanks for that David :)

Interesting stuff @Fridge who would be the person to ask at which point/chassis number that change took place.

@GTK if you know you had triangular boards, you have the later set up, S1 boards ran full length front to rear inside the line of the arches.

• Like 1

Mine is missing the other boards around the battery cover. A PO made some new ones up and then nailed a beam of wood across the back into the body and screwed some more boards into that. What a mess I had to clean up.

So in the pic below I have the original top four, and am missing the bottom four. I don't even know where those bottom two go. 

image.png.63b8a0637d7288a8538c90b32243efda.png

5 hours ago, Freemason said:

Mine is missing the other boards around the battery cover. A PO made some new ones up and then nailed a beam of wood across the back into the body and screwed some more boards into that. What a mess I had to clean up.

So in the pic below I have the original top four, and am missing the bottom four. I don't even know where those bottom two go. 

image.png.63b8a0637d7288a8538c90b32243efda.png

From the shape of them I'd suggest the lower pair are valances to conceal/protect the tail light assemblies.

@Freemason I have a full set of original boards, and carpet. Who I'll use until I can afford a full retrim, and make up.new boards from marine ply. I'm just missing the "window shelves" from the rear quarterlight windows, but have a pattern. Only the wooden edging of these shelves eludes me, though I have photos.

The bottom two boards are the vertical covers behind the rear lights. They are fixed with 4 'L' shaped brackets (on the S1).

I have photos, but I cannot post on here as I'm a TNG and prefer to spend my money on my restoration and err .... Ski mountaineering holidays.

11 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Interesting stuff @Fridge who would be the person to ask at which point/chassis number that change took place.

@GTK if you know you had triangular boards, you have the later set up, S1 boards ran full length front to rear inside the line of the arches.

@Tony K may know.

Edited by Fridge

Sorry, I do not know when they went from the long boards to the two-piece ones. 

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

The bottom two boards are the vertical covers behind the rear lights. They are fixed with 4 'L' shaped brackets (on the S1).

I have photos, but I cannot post on here as I'm a TNG and prefer to spend my money on my restoration and err .... Ski mountaineering holidays.

@Tony K may know.

Were these boards also used on the S2? Does anyone have pics of them in situ?

Hello Antonio. 

Here are some older pictures of the boot boards and the carpet of my S2 with some comments on how all fits together.

Your car should be very similar to mine.

As for the carpet side triangles - I´ve seen some S1s which seemed to have had them as factory fitment.

It appears Lotus changed them for the very late S1s / early S2s but went back to the old setup in 1979 or so.

But as mentioned earlier in the thread one can never be sure :detective: .

Boot_Carpet.jpg

Boot_Boards_1.jpg

Boot_Boards_2.jpg

Edited by frb
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2019 at 21:09, frb said:

Boot_Boards_2.jpg

So where the blue arrow and text box sits on the above pic there is no board, just a rectangular carpet with a cutout for the battery?

And is the carpet on the two taillight end boards glued on?

9 hours ago, Freemason said:

So where the blue arrow and text box sits on the above pic there is no board, just a rectangular carpet with a cutout for the battery?

Yes, standard would be just the boot carpet lying directly on the grp. To "cover up" the 3 main rear chassis bolts there is also a little rectangular strip of thick jute padding sewn directly on the underside of the carpet.

Later S2s had the boot section slightly modified (reinforcement plate for the chassis bolts and geometry for the boot floor changed a little bit) so may have had additional centre padding added but, to be honest, I´m not 100% sure about that.

9 hours ago, Freemason said:

And is the carpet on the two taillight end boards glued on?

No, stuck on with carpet fasteners (screwed directly into the wooden boards). They can just be seen on the picture above  - the little black buttons on the rear upright boards and flat board behind the wheel arch.

Some of the previous owners of my S2 unfortunately glued the carpet on (hence the glue marks) and it was quite a mess getting the carpet out.

This luggage compartment carpet/boards query is nearly as fascinating as the rest of the iterative mods on these cars. It would be great to know the type and time of changes made during the Esprit production run.

The S2 is definitely different to the S1 in this area, but like a few other changes, these where gradually phased in and out across the series. Such as S2 exhausts and rear valances first appearing on late S1s for example.

I'm not sure the boot boards were present on earlier S1s. Perhaps @Paul Coleman could shed some light?

Certainly, the carpet is stuck to the two rear vertical panels covering the rear lights. With about 1" overlap which is unstuck at the bottom of the board, and is folded underneath. Covering the 2 semi-circular cutouts on the lower edge of each board, making the bolts and small angle brackets accessible for their removal.

Generally speaking, from what I've seen, the cars with carpeted boards have a more solid finish in this area. Perhaps the changes to carpet/underlay were to save weight and materials, or even rattles or "drumming"?

Hear hear! Very interesting stuff. We'll all have historically correct Esprits if we're not careful.

I have a few of those little black fasteners with their triangular metal counterparts that were still in the footwells, but I'll obvs need more. Are they available anywhere?

7 minutes ago, GTK said:

I have a few of those little black fasteners with their triangular metal counterparts that were still in the footwells, but I'll obvs need more. Are they available anywhere?

SJ sell them 69p each +£150 postage and packing.

• Haha 2

... and they're not the same. The original anchors are black plastic like in Georg's pics above, and the in carpet piece should be triangular. Feel pedantic even typing that but you know how it is! 

Found the in carpet ones on this site at least.

So I want to copy the original carpets and boards but improve where possible. When I have my new taillight boards made up wouldn't it be better to glue the carpet on rather than use fasteners? Could leave a flap to make the bolts to the fixing brackets accessible.

On 01/04/2019 at 11:43, Fridge said:

I'm not sure the boot boards were present on earlier S1s. Perhaps @Paul Coleman could shed some light?

My car has all the boards shown in Antonio's first picture above.

3 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

My car has all the boards shown in Antonio's first picture above.

Mine has those, but also  the large rectangular board in the rear/centre which has a cut out for the rear battery box.

Just catching up with this on the desktop rather than on the mobile, and the boot boards shown in @frb's images are a lot thinner than those on my late S1. Which are an approximately sturdy 1/4" minimum plus carpet.

14 hours ago, Fridge said:

Mine has those, but also  the large rectangular board in the rear/centre which has a cut out for the rear battery box.

I don't have the board in the centre which covers the gearbox rubber bung.