free hit
counters
Hello from the USA - Introductions - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Hello from the USA

Elite 4.9

Just joined. Was on the old Lotus forum so some may have seen my "74 Elite. Years in the making and modifying. I only modified things that were in need of fixing as the short comings of this car make it not desirable over here in the states. (no one wants to work on them)

Have followed F1 racing since 1963 when Jimmy Clark won the title in a 25. Never looked back and Lotus has been my favorite flavor since. I'm also a Ford guy and many of the fastest Lotus's were Ford powered and some of the coolest cars ever built!

You can view my car and the story of the modifications that I did and why. No offence intended to anyone but it needed a number of changes that Colin felt were ok but IMHO were almost the death of the company. Check it out if you like. Love Lotus cars!

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RichardNorman.htm

Nice to see an active Lotus forum again,

cheers,

Richard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richard and welcome to TLF. :welcome:

I think there are quite a few of us on here that would like to hear what your car sounds like as well. :thumbup:

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

My dad spat out his tea when I showed him..... comment...."It's not original is it!" lol, king of the understatement! Then he thought about it and said "I wouldn't mind a spin in it!".

he said thanks for this, it was his design,  "The Elite's fully independent coil-spring suspension, with the rear half shafts doubling as transverse links, proved supple and sensitive just like their race cars. It's something you just have to experience to really appreciate"

He did say it's great to see another one saved though.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks all for the warm welcome and kind comments.

Too funny there Kimbers to your dads reaction. I know most purists don't like modifying but the funny thing is that I modified 5 things that the Lotus factory then made the same exact changes so they must have approved. lol  And this car really handles, I can assure you. Lotus claimed it would out corner a Europa by 15%! These Dunlaps I have on there make it stick like glue. 

My car does have a mellow small block V8 rumble and with a 11 lb flywheel, it revs quickly, It is very healthy with around 300 hp/360 ft/pds. Same power to weight as a Viper but much lighter. Now it goes as well as it corners. Really fun car to drive.

Sorry Vulcan Grey for all the excessive rain you guys got.

Richard

Rich

Here's what your car looked like originally. This was the first one. Ollie on the right did the bodywork design, my dad on the left did the Engineering Design. GG did the interior.

scan0003.jpg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Rich

Here's what your car looked like originally. This was the first one. Ollie on the right did the bodywork design, my dad on the left did the Engineering Design. GG did the interior.

Way cool. I have many books with mention of your father. The best part of the Elite is the way the suspension was so brilliantly designed and executed in combination with the tight chassis and body working together.

It is one of the smoothest cars over bumps but when pushed really hard it just goes around the corner baffling passengers and the driver. You would be certain you are going into the corner too fast but find out half way through, you could have actually taken it a little faster without any problem. lol

My car was the 110 built in "74. Most people love the lines of the Esprit but Chapman was rumored to prefer the Elite for fast driving pleasure.

Richard

Thanks Gavin for those kind comments. I have spend a good number of hours restoring and modifying my Elite. 

By the way, my mother was from Mitchell. SD and my favorite Esprit model is the S1. lovely lines!

Thanks to all. nice to be here,

Richard