free hit
counters
Distributor - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,

Had my distributor Refurbed at PNM yesterday. Am really pleased. The car was suffering really badly with what I thought was the infamous stumble at 3k. It turned out to be the pickups in the dizzy and after the rebuild it ace. The car drives even better that before and I'm in love with it all over again!!

It is really smooth and there is no stumble at all anywhere (apart from when you hit the rev limiter! :angry:

Really pleased.

Cheers

Alan Croft

89 Turbo (chargecooled)

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, those pickups are a pain to diagnose too! I've had two go in my Excel, the first had fractured wires where they bend as the baseplate swivels, the second had shorting coils inside the pickup itself - as it warmed, coils shorted, induced voltage dropped and ignition amp didn't detect reduced signal!

The first one appeared as an intermittant misfire when changing throttle position (because this changed vac which changed vac advance). If the rev counter varies slightly with the misfire, a pickup problem is quite likely.