free hit
counters
Headlights on SE - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All,

Both headlights on my 90 SE will go up but the passenger side unit will not go down again. I have manually put it down using the emergency wind at the back of the unit and it will then pop up again no problem. I have swapped the fuse over from the working unit and this made no difference. I can hear what sounds like a relay(?) for that light clicking when I do try to put the light down, just nothing happens. I have also unconnected and reconnected the motor via the grey connector, in case of a loose connection. I suspect a loose connection somewhere but not sure where else to look. It did work fine the first few times, any ideas?

I also need to buy a service manual, any suggestions where to get one from?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Both headlights on my 90 SE will go up but the passenger side unit will not go down again.  I have manually put it down using the emergency wind at the back of the unit and it will then pop up again no problem.  I have swapped the fuse over from the working unit and this made no difference. I can hear what sounds like a relay(?) for that light clicking when I do try to put the light down, just nothing happens. I have also unconnected and reconnected the motor via the grey connector, in case of a loose connection.  I suspect a loose connection somewhere but not sure where else to look.  It did work fine the first few times, any ideas?

I also need to buy a service manual, any suggestions where to get one from?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gareth, having suffered with all kinds of goofy headlamp faults on my 83 (not a Stevens), this is what usually does the trick.Find the changeover relays( by rear of left headlamp in my yr. Esprit, one by one clean male and femail contacts with fine sandpaper or small wire brush( Exacto knife works good on femail connectors). Try lights, if still a problem , try swapping relays(keeping track of original positions) If this works, change faulty relay. If your car has AC Delco (GM) lift motors , there is probably a micro switch fault(internal) and a new unit or someone who can fix existing one is the deal. :angry: You can find workshop manuals on C.D. Rom on Ebay (much cheaper than Paper manual)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for that, it was the relay (relay G in the fuse/relay box in the front of the car on an SE) just needed reseating and all is working :angry: Should have thought of that yesterday, but never mind. I will also clean the contacts when I get some more time.

Cheers again

Gareth

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for that, it was the relay (relay G in the fuse/relay box in the front of the car on an SE) just needed reseating and all is working  :angry:  Should have thought of that yesterday, but never mind.  I will also clean the contacts when I get some more time.

Cheers again

Gareth

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gareth, are u intending to pop to castle combe. if u are, theres many people going that may be able to help u with a workshop manual and parts list, me included

You can find workshop manuals on C.D. Rom on Ebay (much cheaper than Paper manual) ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Wayne, I have struggled to find any listing on eBay UK for the Excel workshop manuals on CD, is there a regular source on your eBay ?

Noted Peter on Castle Coombe, we will be there also, any details on obtaining a workshop manual on CD covering an 1983 model year would be more than handy.

Bob

Edited by S4S280

This place lists manuals for Lotuses on C.D. Rom( I presume it will work in the U.K.) With the current exchange rate, you bandits will be stealing them! :angry:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...43category=6762 Other manuals click on sellers other items

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg
This place lists manuals for Lotuses on C.D. Rom( I presume it will work in the U.K.) With the current exchange rate, you bandits will be stealing them! :angry:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...43category=6762  Other manuals click on sellers other items

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bandits indeed :)

Nar, still no good Wayne, everything but the Excel as far as I can see, strange really, or maybe because (dare i say it)

<Flamesuit on>

Excels are not as popular a Lotus name as some others.

<Flamesuit off>