free hit
counters
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 11 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loose Cannon

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can someone call the police and tell them a shitty-looking tramp has taken up residence in Magnus Walker’s garage?

Thanks.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

I think what he really wants is a bloody big spliff and some cookies. 

• Haha 2

Only here once

You are ace Filip. Flying that best of British motor vehicle design, style and engineering Union Jack every day in Belgium.

Your daily drive puts so many to shame in its country of origin sir.

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I haven't even had a proper drive in my Esprit S1 yet, but I've had 2 lads on bikes come onto the drive asking questions, the next door neighbour taking photos and various delivery guys coming into the garage asking questions, taking photos etc. Its no wonder I haven't got it on the road yet!! All my time is spent answering questions!

I do get a buzz in my Eclat when I see kids looking at the car, then jaws drop when I pop the headlights. In my 20 odd years of Lotus ownership I have only ever had one negative reaction and that was from a group of drunks. Not bad in a town (Blackpool) where drunk stag and hen parties are a normal part of life.(which is a shame).

Early Esprit, as a whole, are works of timeless art. What else need be said?

Great to hear all these accounts of appreciation, in any case!

• Like 1

Last Saturday I couldn't drive my Esprit, as we were away for the weekend in Dublin. Not wanting to drive around in a typical rental eurobox, I got a Morgan 4/4 to tour the Wicklow mountains. A nice and engaging car and certainly fun on the twisty roads. 2 years ago we toured the same area with the Esprit, and that was another level still.

What I didn't expect, was the amount of reactions, all positive of course, that we got. Either parked or on the road, people where pulling over, taking pictures, wanting to have a chat... It was a pity the owner didn't provide business cards to pass on, would have been good advertising! I do appreciate the fact he kept the car clean, so no big company stickers or such.

I'm used to some attention in the Esprit, being talked to at petrol stations etc. But this was a completely different level! I had no idea a Morgan was considered so special. While certainly not an every day sight, a Lotus and certainly an Esprit is a much rarer sight. Maybe because the Morgan has a more vintage look?

Very enjoyable experience, definitely worth the money!

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

No mate a Morgan in Ireland in the public eye wouldn't be any less rare a sight, and I say that knowing that a neighbour not 100m away has one. I never see it. It's a much less rare car, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more visible.

Just had  a delivery driver ask me if my Esprit was a Toyota 🙄. After a  suitable response I was asked if it was the James Bond car which I suppose is sort of close enough, anyway I think he liked it 🤔.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, march said:

I was asked if it was the James Bond car

Maybe he was referring to the 2CV?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, march said:

Just had  a delivery driver ask me if my Esprit was a Toyota 🙄. After a  suitable response I was asked if it was the James Bond car which I suppose is sort of close enough, anyway I think he liked it 🤔.

His next question was 'Does it go?' so may be he does know something about V8 Esprit's 🤪

• Haha 2

You can tell him confidently that a v8 Esprit has driven many to the edge of dispair

• Haha 2

Only here once

Drove through a Sainsbury's car park yesterday (long story) in Thetford and a guy stood there and as I went past said "Nice" in an appreciative voice.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Pulled into the drive last night as a bunch of schoolkids wandered by. Eldest no more than 10 probably. The usual schoolboy questions then one of the lads started asking about the engine. Is it the V8 he asks, so that'll be the 3.5 he says. It's got twin Garrett turbos hasn't it? I'll bet I could drive it. I doubt it very much says I. Well, he says, I had no problems with the Lamborghini Gallardo manual the other week, so I doubt I'd have a problem with this. 9 years old. 😲 Out of the mouths of babes......

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, hedgerley said:

Pulled into the drive last night as a bunch of schoolkids wandered by. Eldest no more than 10 probably. The usual schoolboy questions then one of the lads started asking about the engine. Is it the V8 he asks, so that'll be the 3.5 he says. It's got twin Garrett turbos hasn't it? I'll bet I could drive it. I doubt it very much says I. Well, he says, I had no problems with the Lamborghini Gallardo manual the other week, so I doubt I'd have a problem with this. 9 years old. 😲 Out of the mouths of babes......

Knockhill do a "kids" supercar driving experience that includes a Ferrari, Lambo et al. Maybe it was at that?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Another topic in another thread prompted this memory from about about  12 years ago when I hadn't long had my S2

I had learned that the light switches were also used on TR7s and flicking through the local green or yellow free Ads paper, noticed someone local was breaking  TR7s.

Phoned him up one evening and mentioned I was interested in the switches

"which ones"?

"well any really, I know they can be dismantled and the bits inside cleaned and swapped about but its the headlamp switch i`m after mainly , but anything will do"

"Hmm, im sure I`ll have something, I got a couple of the centre consoles with a few of the switches mounted in it"

"sounds good, How much do you want for one of the console panels"?

"Err...What Mk TR7 do you have"?

"well heres the thing , its not for a TR7,  Ive not long bought a Lotus Esprit and they use the same Lucas switchgear so I`m needing a headlamp switch for it and any other switches will come in handy for spares"

"F*ck off and don't ring me back"

speechless

, still to this day I don't understand why the reaction

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1