free hit
counters
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loose Cannon

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Normally when talking about my esprit people are shocked to find that I own one. When asked how long I've had it for and I say, about 10 years, they are like, yeah right, whatever. Your clearly lying as we've never seen it....

I did use it once, honest I did......

Although I wish it had broken down that day, woulda saved a lot of grief...! :)

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ha ha, Simon, that was a good one. I think we'd be amazed of how many ordinaly families WHO actually have something really nice out in the garage.

Anyway, a few days a go, I had a friend passing by from the other side of this Island, just to see the Esprit. One thing id to see it in a movie, another is to view it in reality. He just dropped his lower jaw - "schlack"!!! on the concrete floor.   ;)

Well, off to the garage to "maintain" the Little Red Riding Hood, as I've just got me a claybar set. Don't know what the fuss is about, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Claybar is the closest thing to PFM you'll ever use on a car finish, Jacques. Had my first experience with it last month (on a '91 BMW I've managed to put 230,000 miles on since new), and was astonished at how smooth to the touch the surface became. I'm still trying to figure out the physics of how a simple lump of clay can work such wonders with so little effort. 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Okay, now I have sprayed that bottle of slippery stuff all over my Esprit, and it's really shiny and slippery. But what to do with the claybar?  Is it eatable?

Does it slide Down the throat with a cup of tea, as I have used all the liquid in the bottle?

Well, I'll be d..... ehrmm, well actually you are right John. It's a Wonder of magic. My Esprit is now so smooth, that I slide off and land on the floor, every time I try to get in it. Hmm, maybe I should swap that seriously heavy stainless sill protector for some carbon version with clear grip tape from a scateboard on it?

On a serious note, it's really that good as John says. I am amazed.

Cheers,

Jacques.

A week or so ago I took the Essex for a spin down a few country lanes and stopped at a little cafe for a coffee. I parked ordered a coffee and sat down. About 15 mins later I could hear this chap come in and start talking "do you realise that it's one of the rarest cars on the planet" closely followed by "I never thought that I'd see one in the flesh"

A short while later the chap and his girlfriend come in close to me and starts looking round to see who's car it is. About 5 minutes later the waiter comes over and asks if the Esprit is mine. He goes on to say that it's the second coolest car he's seen at the cafe  and that they get lots of exotica (Veyrons etc etc).

Naturally i'm flattered but intrigued I asked what was the coolest? Apparently a Lister Storm by driven by Tiff Needell.

Guy with his girlfriend (who's looking slightly embarrassed now) then bounds over and asks all about the car so I give him Grand tour. Finally as I drive away, all the kitchen staff and half the customers pile out to see me driver off. Managed not to stall it thankfully.   

• Like 1

A week or so ago I took the Essex for a spin down a few country lanes and stopped at a little cafe for a coffee.

Would that have been the Fat Duck or the Waterside ;-) ?

Jaques, try some autoglym hd wax after the clay bar, i couldnt believe the red was so.....red! Ive only had to do the clay bar once and waxed the car twice in a year it realĺy lasts (im guilty of not doing many miles this year though)

I was on my way up the M6 the other day, and stopped in one of the services – I can't remember which one. I was on a bit of a mission, so I parked in the back of the car park where there was plenty of room, so I could get the parking over quickly and get on. As I came out, three spaces along there was a bloke in a brand new, red, beautiful F-Type S. Really stunning. As I approached, he started the engine, and it gave that wonderful throaty roar. I mouthed at him (over the noise) that it was a beautiful car. The admiration on my face probably was worth a thousand words. He muttered some thanks. Than I plipped the alarm on my car and opened the door. His jaw dropped. He mouthed his admiration at me, in his turn.

To be fair, they are both pretty stunning cars, but I think I surprised him (in a good way) more often than he was prepared for. It did make me feel good.

Displayed both the Esprits at a car show in Arlanda here in Stockholm last weekend. As usual the BRG/Magnolia Turbo SE garnered the most attention while the V8 was overlooked. Anyways, a couple of people stop by, looking over the collection of Loti present. Among the Europas, Elises and Exiges the stop at the Esprits and one person says..

"What the heck is this? This doesn't look like a Lotus...it looks like an old Mitsubishi!"

...Which is exactly what I said when I was shown a pic of a V8 prior to buying my first Esprit. I dissed it. Then I bought it....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Resurrection of an oldish thread!

On the way back to Norwich from Brooklands some of the time in convoy with Chrisj, Pete and Martin had quite a few thumbs up mainly from BMWs and Mercs. :thumbsup:

I was in a queue at a roundabout behind Pete when a chap shouts "Hey mate! Either thats one hell of a coincidence or else you been somewhere together" "yes" I shout "Goodwood!"....As we had just left Brooklands it seems I don't know my arse from my elbows sometimes!

Buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

When waiting to pull away from a parking space or at traffic lights I am often gestured by youths/passers by to "give it the gun" regardless of the the road conditions prevailing. This is happening a lot more often these days for some reason.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Bear :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

That is actually his name ! :)

Until June 9 I'm still technically in the spectator category and I'm acutely aware of what seeing my first (and last) Esprit was like. I've boxes of classic car magazines, pristine and spanning maybe 7 years of fanatical daydreaming in the early 2000's. The issues with either early Range Rovers or Esprit S1's are stored extra carefully. I have my Bahama Gold '73 RR since '06, and it's a total fluke that in the same issue of the mag with the Monaco based feature of the white S1, there's also a feature on a Bahama Gold RR. I digress intentionally; the point being that I've fantasised about an Esprit from a distance for close on 20 years. It just hasn't come round until now. Thing is I'd never actually seen one in the wild until a few years ago.

It was at a large annual classic show that happens just down the road from me, and one I've had my RR and classic Mini's in in the past. Out of nowhere there were a pair of Esprits side by side one year. I'd never seen them before, never since.

The people I was snooping around the show with got the hump and f'd off. Seemingly I had stopped talking mid sentence and stood there staring at the cars. I couldn't get over how wide they were. I was taught to drive (properly) by a racer in my teens and on seeing the Esprits all I could think about was wanting to be behind the wheel of my own one. I couldn't talk to the owners, like some form of not wanting to meet your heroes. No offence intended but I didn't want some weirdo giving me an impression of the car I couldn't relate to. I wanted to figure it out myself... to feel the chassis, listen to the grip, find the revs and push my own will in some curves. More than the sum of every glowing review of "it's a driver's car", the Esprit in the flesh whispered promises of all that to me.

See every grinning 10 year old kid mentioned in this thread... that's where I am right now. I'm 37.  :fun:

Edited by GTK
  • Like 1

I am running at about 1 in 20 people that actually know what it is, All I hear is oh Lamborghini/Ferrari.

For a while, I had a couple of Ferrari 308s;  the reaction couldn't be more different.   With the Esprit, the reactions are always positive, always "cool car!"  "wow, a Lotus!"   "Jame Bond!"  "Is that a Pantera/Lamborghini/Ferrari?"  etc.    With the 308, the reactions were usually tense, mistrusting, or outright jealous -- typical comments were "how much did you pay for that," "how much money do you make," "what do yo do for a living," "what is it worth/what does it cost,"  or stupid comments and questions about gas mileage and parts spoken or asked with a slant that it was obvious the person was trying to place themselves in a one-up position over me/my car.   I always worried about my 308 when I parked it somewhere.

I also have a Ferrari 328 and I agree totally with the above.

I feel much more comfortable driving the Esprit. It gets more attention than the 328 and it feels like the attention is more positive.

Bearing in mind my Esprit has been off the road for more years than I care to remember now - I get just as many people asking me about what it is with that wedge shape hidden underneath the covers........ Keeps 'um guessing  :harhar:  Though they normally think its a Testarossa with the flat rear width.........

It really is worth getting your Esprit back on the road..

I was cleaning my car on the Saturday be for Brooklands and a chap walked past with is 4 year old son they had to walk back as his son was dragging him back to have a look. The kid was amazing he knew exactly what the car was “cool it’s a lotus” and he told me he had one as well but his was white and he played with it in the bath. He was a little concerned that it did not float and just went to the bottom. “Did mine do that as well?” I said that it very probably would but that I had not ever tried it. His face was a picture when I said he could get in it "wow red, that’s my favourite colour!" the kid talked for England and at only 4 he was amazing , I told his dad so, his dad sighed and said sometimes it would be nice if he was quiet!  

Do you expect me to talk........ No Mr Bond I expect you to die!

Kid sounds awesome, I'd adopt him and give his Dad a shoeing! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I second that. Buuuuut maybe, just maybe, his son of 4 years are also very open mouthed about his fathers mistress???

;)

Jacques.

• Like 1

The lotus esprit simply needs to be beatified by the pope ( all variants - so no squabbling )

Amen........

• Like 1

Only here once