free hit
counters
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 5 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

I recon the Esprit it like marmite, some people love it and some people hate it, that's been my experience over the last few years anyway.  To me, my car is my baby and I love it and always will, but I get some people saying it looks like a cheese wedge or looks too square.  And I've found middle age ladies don't seem to like it either.

Since owning the Mustang, I've found so many people give me thumbs up in it and people are always coming up to me where ever I park it and speaking to me about it.  It seems to draw universal approval.  So why don't they do that to my Esprit?  :(.

Still, my Son likes my Esprit.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve heard my missus say that more than once 

Could always go for the cheaper 912 

Almost every time I take my Esprit out these days I get people talking to me about it, saying it looks awesome.   Just had another car nut saying "what a great looking car, 4 pot isn't it" and taking

Posted Images

And I've found middle age ladies don't seem to like it either.

It's struck me that women in general don't like Esprits. They like curvy things like e-types, Porsche 356's and boat tail Alfas. I know its a generalisation but while the ladies in my proximity appreciate it when I quantify everything it represents, they don't like the look of it. In one instance a Sicilian (so not prone to sugar coating it), sat up on her bar stool and exclaimed "Are you crazy, it's so ugly!"

All the more power to weight for me my dear  :P

Edited by GTK

I find that blokes seem to appreciate it more than the fairer sex,they like the fact its British its a bit quirky and surprised as to just how blindingly quick they are.I always get let out of side roads and am suitably appreciative, women love seeing my 10 year old daughter sat in passenger seat rather than a bimbo (although she is blonde),I don't upset people by being a prick on the road but do excersise when appropriate, 20 years old and still looks fresh that surely has to be a testament to MrChapmans genius and Mr Stevens pen.

• Like 2

Simplest things first.

• Gold FFM

I get comments everywhere I take it - all amazingly complimentary.

These motors really are a fine piece of sculpture on wheels.

The missus - she doesn't get the car at all - too whooshy and noisy ???? Um yeah that's the fun bit.....

Only here once

Since owning the Mustang, I've found so many people give me thumbs up in it and people are always coming up to me where ever I park it and speaking to me about it.  It seems to draw universal approval.  So why don't they do that to my Esprit?  :(.

Because it's a "Ferrari"!

It's struck me that women in general don't like Esprits. They like curvy things like e-types, Porsche 356's and boat tail Alfas.

True but the majority also like Poldark and Britains Got Talent, so who cares ;)

I find that blokes seem to appreciate it more than the fairer sex,they like the fact its British its a bit quirky ......I don't upset people by being a prick on the road but do excersise when appropriate

True, and I try* to do the same which helps

I get comments everywhere I take it - all amazingly complimentary.

True, if people hate it they generally are too polite to say so, a noble habit I should really try and adopt when walking around shows within earshot of owners :whistle:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

And I've found middle age ladies don't seem to like it either.

A few weeks ago I actually got a comment from one of the above: "Why would anyone buy something like that instead of a Porsche?". I didn't even bother to explain. She probably wouldn't have been able to get in gracefully anyway, being beyond middleaged. :-p

Last Saturday we got nothing but positive reactions  while doing the Gentlemens Driver Rally. 45 lovely cars and dito crews. And we earned the respect of the Porsches by getting the tools out to fix a lovely 930 Turbo convertible. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

A few weeks ago I actually got a comment from one of the above: "Why would anyone buy something like that instead of a Porsche?". I didn't even bother to explain. 

If it was someone who wasn't really interested, I think I'd ask if she liked vanilla ice cream...and agree that I did too, but that the Esprit is home made rum & raisin. A perfect analogy for a Lotus lol 

It's struck me that women in general don't like Esprits. They like curvy things like e-types, Porsche 356's and boat tail Alfas. I know its a generalisation but while the ladies in my proximity appreciate it when I quantify everything it represents, they don't like the look of it. In one instance a Sicilian (so not prone to sugar coating it), sat up on her bar stool and exclaimed "Are you crazy, it's so ugly!"

All the more power to weight for me my dear  :P

Women seem to prefer more masculine cars such as Bentleys. The general conclusion on the Ferrari forums is that more feminine cars such as Ferraris and the Esprit are generally referred-to as "that old thing" in the same disdainful manner they might refer to a mistress.

The vast majority of women are not remotely interested in cars, beyond that they're comfortable, easy to get in and out of, don't mess up their hair, and someone else pays for it.

I know this because my wife says that's the case.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

The vast majority of women are not remotely interested in cars, beyond that they're comfortable, easy to get in and out of, don't mess up their hair, and someone else pays for it.

I know this because my wife says that's the case.

I really don't know what is better, a woman that's not interested in cars or one who is and gets you crazy enough to buy her one... :sofa: 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Sometimes they do appear. My better half pushed me to buy the V8 against my better judgement....

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Today, three young beautifull ladies passed by my Esprit, and they stopped, looked, and one of them said: "Wow, that's a really mean looking and beautifull sportscar. Much nicer than a Ferrari". The other two agreed, and they went on walking by.

I just smiled.

Some time ago, a boy apprx. 8 years passed by, looked at the Esprit, and asked me: "Wow, can it also shoot the gangster out throught the roof?"

"No, but it can shoot a rocket in to a helicopter, while being submerged in the ocean", I replied.

Then followed a loud "clang", when he dropped his teeth on the pavement.

Also, a while ago, two boys maybe 10-11 years old passed by, and discussed the Esprit. The first one said: "look, it's got two exhausts!"

The other answered: " yeah, but my fathers audi have two exhausts too".

By then I felt obliged to start the car, and give it a dab on the throttle. As I have a nice loud exhaust, and they stood 1 meter behind the Esprit, I could see their hair being blow backwards.

All they said after was: "OOOoohhhhhh!!!"

And that is pretty hard to say when their smile went from ear to ear ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I get most of the time positive reactions.

Just came home from a trip, where I got taken over by a biker, who then drove before me for a while with thumb up.

Same trip I got a jogger who did the tumbs up .

So one trip and two times tumbs up... How many cars give you that.  A porsche wont.

I am amazed how many children react surprised with a big smile and a pointing finger , when the lights pop up. I got that when I just left the topsporthall where I picked up my son.

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

I was helping out at the bar for the open house days at an animal shelter this weekend (serving, not just drinking :-) ). A woman came up to me and asked me if the Lotus parked in front was mine. Apparently she was into 80s sportscars, she correctly identified my SE as a late 80s Esprit and had asked around about the owner. :-) We had a nice chat, even though I was quite busy. a very pleasant surprise.

Filip 

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, GTK said:

When's the wedding? :)

She really wasn't my type. ;-)

Unfortunately, the one who definitely is my type, is not interested in cars at all and was actually disappointed last time because I took the Esprit to pick her up...

• Gold FFM

:hrhr:

trouble is you get a nice race horse - and it turns into an old nag.....

oh the joys of getting old

Only here once

Back in October 2000 I had got the duty at the General Aviation Terminal at Heathrow. This was something that us Immigration types at T4 covered....and there was a reserved car parking space next to the G.A.T....so a great excuse to take the Esprit to work. During the usual boring shift, nothing much happens at the G.A.T., Britney Spears and her entourage pitched up from the USA. A nice girl...well, she was,  then....and I did my bit with the passports and she walked out of the terminal.

There was the Esprit.

"Gee, what a cool car!!" she said..... so, being the gentleman I am, I let her sit in it. Now....why didn't I have a camera with me????!!!

More recently I've had "thumbs up" from several drivers on the Paris périphériqe and appreciative comments from people by Kew Gardens station. The aesthetics still seem to appeal.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

:lol: ...complete with flies Bazza 

The trick is staying single long enough to be able to make such decisions without downstairs playboy calling the shots.

Unlike many others, I've never experienced such problems with my other half, far from it. In fact when it comes to cars, I always end up being the voice of reason, otherwise we'd be living in a tent with a 1967 Shelby GT500 Mustang parked on one side, and a 1968 Dodge 426 Hemi Charger on the other.

I have to be equally assertive when gin & tonic or pinot grigio is the topic of conversation.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.