free hit
counters
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 7 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loose Cannon

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

6 hours ago, ian29gte said:

One of the things about the later S4/S4s and V8 Esprits is that, aside from the tiny decals in the rear quarter-light windows, there's no model name badge anywhere on the car so it is difficult for others to identify unless they already know what they're looking at.

This is fine, except it gives rise to all kinds of speculation. I have overheard my car being described in detail as a Lamborghini Countach (I wish), and a Ferrari 308 Dino (sic), both times by loud-mouthed, know-all, know-nothing twats, intent on demonstrating their profound lack of knowledge of sports cars to their gobshite, lager-swilling, football-shirt-wearing tosspot mates.

Still, I guess it's a cross we have to bear.

I bet they all drove Ooodi diesel sports cars too! ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've heard all sorts, 

Turbo SE: "it's a v8 right?"

:D

V8 or Turbo SE: "oh wow nice car, these are awesome. And all that from 119 horsepower!"

"No, you're thinking Elise mate"

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Most of the people do not recognize the Esprit at all. More clever ones seems to recognoze the Lotus badge and the V8 emblem in the back and then think the car has a Rover v8 under the bonnet...

Little boys love the looks of the car and the youngsters with their "tuning" Bmw:s are always looking for a race. There are couple spots near my home where I sometimes bite the bait. One of the best places is long 180 degree corner to the motorway. It takes more than big fat tires and too much lowered suspension to make the car corner...

PS. I am very pleased that my Lotus has similar torque and pick up from the low revs than most of the German made turbodiesels of the similar capacity...

"Older I get, faster I was"

50 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

"Does it go underwater" 

Oh give me strength!

I had a friendly Dino owner ask me if I knew what Lotus stood for the other day. I flat out told him he shouldn't say that, that only duckheads who know nothing about cars say shut like that. For the record things remained friendly :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Lol at a house warming at the weekend and a "friend" said you know what Lotus stands for? I told him he was a total pr!ck, a [email protected] who obviously knew nothing about cars as he had a diseasel VW Passatt ffs and despite he was 55 he needed to grow up and wake up. He was a bit stunned and taken aback but later on we had a wee dram and all was good and he was genuinely interested in why I was so passionate about my car etc. I've since taken him out for a spin and let him drive it and he nearly wet his pants. I don't think he'll be using that term again anytime soon.

Yep – that'll do it. I still have etched in my memory the first time I ever drove a Lotus. Don't think I'll ever forget it, and here I still am, all these years later. You did a good job there, C8RKH! 

3 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

"Yes, indeed I do! It is Lots Of T* Usually Say...

...do you know what Lotus stands for? There's your out Alan :)

Yeah the jump in and I'll take you for a spin thing has to be the winner.

"Hey before you finish being a bastard, why don't I subject you to some lateral G. You bastard."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibs said:

If I hear that I ask which one they've had and what problems they had with it. Usually, embarrassed silence is the response...

I was once at a car-rental place that had a Ferrari to rent out. They changed the tyres every 3k miles and the clutch every 6k.:o If you spend that much on a car (with a cost of ownership that makes my eyes come out on stalks), and replace the engine every 20 mins or so, you'd hope it wouldn't break down that often. And they still do fail every now and again, just like ours. 

4 minutes ago, GTK said:

"Hey before you finish being a bastard, why don't I subject you to some lateral G. You bastard."

You are making me want to go out for a drive!

I particularly liked the Porsche:- "Pricks Or Rich Shitheads Can Have 'Em", and Ferraris:- "Fragile, Expensive Rides Repel All Reasonable Individuals."

Margate Exotics.

It's one of life's most cruel ironic twists; the direct correlation between getting older and an attraction to cars made by Porsche. 

I watched a WHOLE video on a Cayman GTS yesterday and got a little excited. I feel dirty.

47 minutes ago, GTK said:

It's one of life's most cruel ironic twists; the direct correlation between getting older and an attraction to cars made by Porsche. 

I watched a WHOLE video on a Cayman GTS yesterday and got a little excited. I feel dirty.

You make me feel young again!

:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTK said:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Margate Exotics.

8 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

My stock response to the "do you know what LOTUS stands for?" question is now:

"Yes, indeed I do! It is Lots Of T* Usually Say - Lots Of Trouble..." (I can't bring myself to finish that off).

T*: insert your own abusive/derogatory plural term here, e.g. Twats, Tossers, Turds etc.

Alan, the correct answer is of course, Lots Of Technology Unique Styling.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

diseasel

Classic.:lol:

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

23 minutes ago, Iconic Ride said:

Classic.:lol:

You get a gold star for spotting that. Yes that was deliberate.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

The same (dare I say middleaged) lady who already made clear she isn't too fond of the Esprit but whose company I very much appreciate, let me offer her a ride again yesterday. Apart from the strange noises from the back (the turbo spooling and blow-off valve releasing), she said she didn't understand why someone would build a car so low. I mentioned benefits for handling and proceeded to demonstrate this on a 270° on-ramp to the highway. She remained silent but cool. :-) And I did promise to bring the Range or Merc on our next date. I consider myself lucky we're going out despite my Esprit, and not because of it.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Stopped for petrol this morning and the chap filling up next to me kept saying 'great car, cracking car, wow, love that car'. Nice start to the day putting a smile on someone's face. Then the 'foreign' fellow in the kiosk asked if it was a Maserati? Now that's a new one. Far less insulting than being asked if it's a Ferrari though - which I never have been.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Ha ha, nice... I was told I can get an extra 21 miles from a tank using BP Ultimate.... 

200 miles between stops so a 10% gain in economy, are lotus drivers (or whatever people think we drive)  that gullible :0)

23 minutes ago, NeilP said:

Ha ha, nice... I was told I can get an extra 21 miles from a tank using BP Ultimate.... 

200 miles between stops so a 10% gain in economy, are lotus drivers (or whatever people think we drive)  that gullible :0)

Not said about my Esprit but about my old Nissan 350Z, at the petrol pump: "Leave some for us!". I do feel a bit that way with the Esprit. Actually, I feel that way every 200 miles!

My first bad experience driving my Lotus - 3 people cut me up dangerously yesterday, 2 of which took  great pleasure in overtaking me on a loose newly laid surface (20mph limit) wellying past me before pulling in and showering the car in stone chippings. :angry:.

Find somewhere nice to bury them?

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators