free hit
counters
What car after an Evora? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Justin182

What car after an Evora?

Morning all

I have owned my Evora for over three years now, and as fantastic as it is, I'm fancying a change.. I have been for a while. My problem is I've got no idea where to go next.

What is everyone else planning as the next move?

Buying another Evora (I'd go for an IPS S Sport Racer) is probably the right move, but I can't justify the cost to change up, for what would be an extremely similar car. I will return to an Evora next though. It's replacement will be used for everything. Euro jaunts, weekends away, track day (rare), possibly commuting, shopping. I don't want to have two cars.

I spent a bit of time with a mates V8 M3 over the weekend and really quite liked it. Great all rounder, but maybe a bit too ordinary for me.

Cars I've considered are (all would be an only car) -

Exige V6 - I've owned an Exige before and not sure I fancy the impracticalities again. However, I love the Lotus brand, dealership, and the performance is hard to ignore..

Nissan GTR - performance and all round ability is hugely tempting. Wonder if the novelty would wear off quickly? Big running costs

V8 Vantage - for obvious reasons. The looks, sound, ownership positives. I like a track day now and again and not sure I'd want to track one..

911 GT3/Turbo - seems the logical choice, but I'm just not that attracted to them

F Type - bit out of budget and the depreciation worries me. Love them though, bar the tiny boot.

Any input/thoughts welcome. I seem to be in the Pistonhead classifieds on a daily basis! which is part of the fun!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was thinking the same about a year ago, when my EvoraS was in the shop for a month getting a new clutch and gearbox.

The Exige S would certainly have made a lot of fun, but its impracticality certainly does limit your options. I couldn't imagine doing a 3.000 Km vacation trip in one. i already rejected the Auid TT RS when I bought the Evora, so that wasn't an option. Certainly wouldn't buy another Porsche after I had a major accident in one a few years back, the GT3 is just as unsuitable for long trips as the Exige S (though for different reasons, where the Exige lacks space, the GT3 is just too tiring to drive).

I finally did consider trading my early MY11 for a MY13, but, as you said, I couldn't really see the sense in it. 

In the end I concluded the best thing to do was keep the Evora and invest a bit in improving it. You can actually get most of the MY12 and MY13 improvements retrofitted and the black pack certainly changed the visual perception. Meanwhile I'm sure I'll keep the car at least until the end of the lease period in 2-1/2 years and the list of possible modifications is still growing:

• Retrofit the MY12 shift cables and mechanism
  • Figure out how to legalize the GTN-rear wing
  • Figure out how the further increase engine power - 292.5 Kph is just on the wrong side of magical 300 Kph (which is then just below 310, followed by 320,...). And, 390 HP is equally just on the wrong side of 400 HP. Yeah, I know I'm insane! :doc:

So, my recommendation: make a wish list for the Evora and keep it.

As soon as you posted my thoughts ran to a 997 Turbo. Great build quality and bullet proof engines. GT3 is a bit more pricey but does hold its value better than the Turbo but may be a little harsh every day and that would also damage the value with the extra miles. A bit heavy on track though.

Trevor.

997 turbo is almost perfect, just the noise. They are very muted!

I've spent quite a bit on mine this year aswell in the way of modifications, but unfortunately the itch to change is still there!

@@@Justin:

simple solution - as mentioned before: just keep it!

@@@Thomas:

hangar 111 - as promoted at another place / Playground - is offering the 410 kit from komotec for the evora s also (? - but I wonder as I have not seen this kit for the evora S on the komotec site ...??? - but same engine....)

F Type would be my choice. Sound awesome, drive excellently (little hard on the suspension apparently) and look stunning. But you are right on the depreciation.

just talked a week ago to a german evora s owner that had made a test drive for several hours - he was disappointed, nothing special, no alternative for his Evora !

(of course just a single opinion and everyone has s different taste...)

I think the market for a "special feeling", not too race track orientated (exige s for example), GT car is very tight, esp if you are not looking for a 997 or similar...

Have you thought about owning a little bit older car?

What about an (old) AM Vanquish? - I read the feature on it in the last EVo and was thinking: maybe that would be more a special car than a modern AM.

Early Gallardos are sub-£50k now. 10 years old and potentially ruining maintenance though aren't they?

Early Gallardos are sub-£50k now. 10 years old and potentially ruining maintenance though aren't they?

I'd be interested to know what the costs are on something like that but suspect you would be right.

Have you got a purchase budget in mind?

Trevor.

I owned a Gallardo before the Evora, don't think I would go back unless I could stretch to a Superleggera.. Certainly no use as an only car!

Up to £60k I guess, preferably less.

R8 is a good call.

I've had the same thoughts. Had almost settled on a V8V but they don't drive like a Lotus do they.

I love how the new Cayman and Boxster drive, and the room they have but they are a little common, same with the 911 but I may still go that way some day. I'm holding off a while and watching the F Type depreciation, I was in the dealers recently and they had two wheeled cabin cases, and a suits carrier comfortably in the boot.

I'm been thinking R8, but... it's a nice car, not sure though, something's holding me back probably the badge and likely lack of character. The V8Vantage is a lovely car but a tad lardy compared to a Lotus. I was passing a Jaguar dealers the other day and popped in for a closer look at the F Type.... but it just seems to lack whatever it is Astons have and Jags don't.

To tell the truth I'm lost at the moment, I want something more engaging, just more fun I suppose. I'm sure a Gallardo would be fun for a week or two but by all account the bills wouldn't be so much fun, MP4 12C would be my choice but they're still up there price wise. 

:help: 

Maybe wait according to another forum there will be a Evora something soon. What the something is no idea.

MP4 12C, British and mid-engine layout. Big step though....

I got myself already registered with the local McLaren dealership - very friendly team - for information on their P13 project. Till then will get my Evora optimised.

GT-R is what a colleague has, very big, very quick, not sure about sexiness. F type is plain boring, AM V8 much cooler.

Thanks all, some good points.

MP4 - would be absolutely ideal, but sadly out of range!

4C - prefer the Evora tbh

Cayman/Boxster - the rave review have got me interested, but I'm not sure they are quite unique enough.

Sell the Evora

Invest the proceeds

Buy a cheap run around

Buy an MP4 in a year or so time.

Job done.

I think that nothing will give you what you want until Lotus make something new. Its rumoured there's new stuff in the pipeline and so, tbh, I'd wait a year or so. Upgrading doesn't make financial sense as you point out and other cars, unless spending ££££, are going to feel a bit souless.