free hit
counters
I am a bit outraged at this video - Real life Mad Max - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

I am a bit outraged at this video - Real life Mad Max

Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I could feel my blood boiling at that video too.

I felt outrage at both sides, but I think if I put myself in the position of the driver of the rover (with his family), I definitely feel that probably felt pretty frightened for his safety.

Looks like the bikers were swarming around the suv, close behind, close beside, and eventually right in front.  Looks like the bikers in front were weaving and intimidating him, and when the bike gets in front and jams on his brakes, what was he supposed to do?  Stop quick and have the bikers behind him rear end him?  

Looks like the bikers created a no win situation just by their massive presence and their pack mentality.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that this would not have happened if the bikers were riding in a reasonable sized group.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I would have crushed the bikers and backed over them... A bike brake checking a car means the bike becomes a hood ornament in my book... Maggots in a swarm....

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pack-motorcyclists-chase-man-suv-attack-upper-manhattan-street-fender-bender-west-side-highway-article-1.1471585

The driver should have been on the cell for a cop or just stayed on the Hwy until a cop showed up...

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/nyregion/motorcyclists-assault-suv-driver-after-chase-uptown-police-say.html

Under the name “Hollywood Stuntz,” the loosely organized ride succeeded in snarling Midtown traffic last year, Mr. Kelly said, “with well over a thousand motorcycles, dirt bikes, quads, four-wheel vehicles.”

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Riding with no plates, their sole intention is to able to do whatever they like basically without being able to be identified.

Scum. The guy that pulled up abruptly, which is as obvious as anything on the video, deserved to get hit.

And I ride a bike.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

That's a pretty awful pack mentality. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

There's a bit an hour of video posted from that same helmet cam, that he removed from YouTube, but others kept and reposted...

Shows the pack of hundreds doing all kinds of illegal stuff, like riding into oncoming traffic for over a block, bikes, scooters, and quads are all zooming around cars and cutting right in front of moving cars with no warning. Many car drivers were obviously so uncomfortable that they just stopped on the highway, so they didn't have to try and avoid hitting all the bikers. The riders are also doing wheelies right next to other vehicles.

A motorcycle rider broadsided my car a few years ago! He was merging onto the road that I was on, but he wanted to zoom around the truck that was merging ahead of him, so he veered over 2 lanes and ran into the side of my car. It was tough to decide what to do in that moment! If I had slowed, he would have clipped the front of my car, and probably would have gone down in front of me! So I squeezed my car as close as I could with the curb, and physically held him up with my car, and we slowed down together at the same rate, until he regained his balance.

The problem with that pack was that they were so unpredictable.

Here's the video that the bikers deleted...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

According to the BBC it all started when the car driver ran into a couple of the bikers and drove off. Apparantly he is now being investigated as well.

I can imagine he was scared and intimidated but running into another 6 or 7 and knocking them off just incensed them even more and it all escalated.

Their reaction was outrageous though. just read something that said many of the bikers were middle aged born again bikers. Not sure how true that is, but my biker mates wouldn't have reacted like that.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Kimbers,

That BBC report leaves out a lot of detail then.

The bikers swarmed the rover on all sides, one biker came up along side yelling and gesturing to the driver to pull over and stop.  When the driver didn't, the guy on the bike swerved in front of the car and started braking while looking back at the car (had one hand on the bikes bars too...???).  The car slowed, but there were several bikes less than a few feet behind the car, this crazy biker inches in front, and bikes on both sides.  The car bumped the biker in front (one report said the biker had minor injuries).  From what the video shows, it looks like he didn't fall, but reports vary. 

What it does look like is that the car stopped and many bikers (in a pack of hundreds!) approached the car on all sides, with several parking their bikes directly in front of the vehicle, or laying them down in front (difficult to see).  That is when the driver took off, running over the parked bikes directly in front of his rover.

They chased, stopped him again through aggressive maneuvers, and opened one of his doors aggressively.  He sped off again.  Apparently they slashed his tires.

Then they caught up to him in traffic a third time and bashed in his widow with their helmets (also trying to break a rear window where the 2 year old girl was sitting), dragged him out, cut his face, and beat him.

The pack mentality in that type of situation escalates so quickly.  I don't think that the driver would have been left alone at the first stop, I don't think the bikers would have seen it as the biker's fault who stopped in front of the car.

no win situation for the driver, and the pack felt invincible together, though their fear, due to being vulnerable on their individual little bikes, caused them to be overly defensive in an aggressive way.  Big groups like that should be totally illegal if they already aren't...  Not that they care! they knew that what they were doing was mostly illegal, but the felt protected in the pack.  

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Their reaction was outrageous though. just read something that said many of the bikers were middle aged born again bikers. Not sure how true that is, but my biker mates wouldn't have reacted like that.

Didn't look like that demographic from the videos, ghetto hoods more like. And the Police were where exactly?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Guest surferphil

Bunch of idiots. If you have a complaint about another motorist you make it to the police, if you have 100 angry bikers trying to get in your car you drive over them. I love bikes, I love cars, I hate idiots.

I bet this man bought a Gun and lots of ammo...

I love the way the Rover just climbed over those bikes with ease.... :cheers:

I use to ride but I rode for the sport not to be part of a pack of dickheads. Rover should use the video to show how well the Range Rover behaves as an urban assault vehicle..

I think it's fast enough…maybe

I dont know that I would have slowed down after the initial run over! If the bikers got beside me I wold have swerved left to right to make sure they think twice about getting near me again...With my children in the car I wouldn't take any chances at all.  You have a right to defend yourself...and I rode for quite a few years...never that way though.

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

The dude who got run over is apparently in hospital with 2 broken legs and spinal injuries that will have him paralyzed for the rest of his life. Nothing that calls for jubilation but it begs the question: "Was it worth it?"

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

The bikers swarmed the rover on all sides, one biker came up along side yelling and gesturing to the driver to pull over and stop.  When the driver didn't, the guy on the bike swerved in front of the car and started braking while looking back at the car (had one hand on the bikes bars too...???).  The car slowed, but there were several bikes less than a few feet behind the car, this crazy biker inches in front, and bikes on both sides.  The car bumped the biker in front (one report said the biker had minor injuries).  From what the video shows, it looks like he didn't fall, but reports vary. 

I totally agree with what you say Travis but it must have started for a reason. Unless law and order in the States has broken down so much that people randomly select families to attack, there must have been a starting point that got them all so Angry in the first place. Why did the biker yell at him to stop? There must be more to it than a random attack, non?

Did he run over the biker and paralize him before any of this was filmed? Or was there another incident that we don't see on the video. That was my point.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

It started because the gang were deliberately provoking a motorist with the full intention of retaliating, simply so they could say "He started it". Brake checking a 2.7 tonne Range Rover while on a motorbike and wearing jeans and a T shirt isn't the work of a sane peaceful person.

This stretch of road is never quiet, yet the Range Rover is pretty much the only car on the tarmac at the time as for whatever reason it didn't get held up by the bikers' impromptu road block a little further back.

bikers1n-10-web.jpg

Notice the rh front tyre courtesy of the earlier knife attack, the broken windows on both the front doors and the rear tailgate, the open rear door which is where the young child was sitting and the mob beating the driver on ground at the rear of the car.

882542_10151670215925143_247095862_o.jpg

NY Post:

Police arrested one biker among a swarm of motorcyclists that forced a driver off the West Side Highway in Upper Manhattan, minutes before the man was assaulted in front of his wife and two-year-old daughter more than 50 blocks away.

Christopher Cruz, 28, of Passaic, New Jersey, was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing in the first of two harrowing confrontations Alexian Lien had with a pack of bikers when he and his family were out for a Sunday drive.

Cruz was on a bike that cut off Lien’s Range Rover and slowed down in front of him as other bikers circled the vehicle as the horror show initially unfolded in Harlem, police said.

He was rear-ended by Lien around 1:30 p.m., sparking a half-hour confrontation that forced the driver over to the side of the road, where other bikers slashed the father’s tires and one enraged rider opened the driver’s door and tried to pull him out of the SUV, sources said.

Law enforcement sources said Cruz’ erratic driving sparked the melee.

Cruz was briefly hospitalized and released for minor injuries, including lower back pain, authorities said.

He remained at the scene and is not believed to be among 20 to 30 bikers who followed the family up the West Side Highway onto West 178th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in Washington Heights. That’s where the Range Rover came to a stop because its slashed tires went flat.

At least two bikers smashed the windows, dragged the father out, punched him and slashed him in the face and chest, sources said.

Police released a photo Tuesday morning of two suspects in the assault and slashing, which sent the father to the hospital for stitches on his face and chest. Lien, who also suffered two black eyes, was treated and released.

Video from a camera on one of the biker’s helmets shows a man with a Guyana sticker on the back of his blue bike watching as another biker smashed Lien’s window with his helmet. It also captured a rider who has a black and white spider’s web pattern on the tail pipe jumping off and pummeling the SUV.

The footage stops before Lien is dragged out of the car, beaten and slashed but cops are looking for those two riders who appeared to be part of the mob that attacked the victim in front of his horrified wife and two-year-old daughter, sources said.

In the above picture, which is hardly panoramic, I count at least 4 people filming the event on phones/ipads.

One has his hands in pocket like he's filming a birthday party. So there will be footage somewhere of this unfortunate chap being beaten and slashed, and specifically who did it.

I'm always a bit perturbed by the amount of people whose instinct is to film such things instead of helping. I also wonder how often otherwise innocuous events go bad because someone points a camera and thinks "I'm on Youtube" . However I must concede that in the main it does seem to help in bringing the brain-dead to justice.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I think that filming on your phone or whatever is considered helping.

Its certainly helpful after the event but it doesn't look good does it.

This makes me think that everyone needs a dash-cam now.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein