free hit
counters
How many of you are Lotus "Lifers"? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How many of you are Lotus "Lifers"?

Lotus Ownership Poll  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don`t know what the future will bring but I want to hang on to my Elite 2.2 and at least one of) the Citroen G series for as long as is humanly possible; they are both products of engineering genius before the era when "thinking outside the box" wasn`t an empty slogan designed to make middle managers feel they were earning their money.   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Count me in as one of the few with the car they first logged on with :) Okay, there was a five year gap in ownership, but buying it back and shipping it half way around the world must count for something right?

Had to vote option one though. Absolutely no plans on ever selling, but the esprit is just one nice car of several I plan on owning. Hope to have a Tuscan keeping it company in the new year.

I've had my 82 Turbo since 1988, so 25 years. I've had my boat since 1978 and the most used guitar since 1977; they are all family!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Value might have something to do with it too. The only cars that tempt me more are so exotic and rare (Mangusta, Grifo, Miura, DB4 etc) that it's lottery win time. The value of the Esprit is probably less than a major service on a Miura, so the Esprit is unlikey to go down as a deposit on one.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I voted "Serial Lotus owner, but have one or two long-term keepers".

Bought the Esprit 2006 and probably will never sell it. On the other hand owning now an Evora and Elise, the Esprit is more like a garage queen.

1  Elite 501 wedge white

2  Excel white

3  Elan plus two Metalic inferno red with silver roof

4  Elan M100 SE British racing green

5  Elise S1 Inferno red

6  Elan M100 SE Calypso red ( for sale at the moment at Chrisopher Niels £4,250)

7  Elise S 2006 Ardent Red (current car)

That's it from me at the moment What's next I ask myself?

Bought my first Lotus in 1992, and M100 new at the dealer.  Bought it the day Lotus announced they'd be discontinued.  From there it was a Type 61mX, Mark VI, Type110, Type106 X180r, Type 69,Plus 2 S 130/5, Europa TC, Super 907, and finally, my new Evora S.  Still have them all and probably always will. If any of them go it'll only to finance another Lotus.  So I'mm in for life, and if the boy picks up the mantle, then beyond.

Kyle Kaulback

I have always had a passion for Lotus and bought my first in 83 and never been without one since.

Two 7s .-  One 61, - Three Esprit Turbos and One Excel.

My red one is 'Till Death us do part. Then, I am hoping to use it as a coffin.

All these people intending to keep their old crocks classic cars for 500 years won't be filling the current Lotus management with a lot of joy. Kinda shows the new buyers market is a completely different demographic to those who are custodians of vintage examples, with a very limited overlap.

Well that is definitely an issue.  But consider this.  WHile I am an accumulative owner and there are surely people who bought their Elan or EUropa new and will keep it as their one and only LOtus 'til they die, there are also plenty of Lotus enthusiasts who are serial owners and married to the marque.  SOmething the poll doesn't take into account with their choices.  If I ever need to sell off my collection of if I become unable to drive a manual transmission, or can't get in and out etc, I'll still always have a Lotus.

And fervent brand loyalty, even among the lovers of "old Lotus" can only help Lotus' image. 

Kyle Kaulback

Got my Elise in 2002 and its still with me, and no plans to sell.

First logged on when this site was LEF to get some advice on buying an Esprit, which I still have, but as I had the Elise back then I can say I still have the car I first logged on with.

The Esprit was always the Lotus I wanted though, and although I got there in the end as per my thread in Esprit chat it looks very likely that it will be going soon.

No other LotusIi want other than an Evora but not in price range yet.

Well that is definitely an issue.  But consider this.  WHile I am an accumulative owner and there are surely people who bought their Elan or EUropa new and will keep it as their one and only LOtus 'til they die, there are also plenty of Lotus enthusiasts who are serial owners and married to the marque.  SOmething the poll doesn't take into account with their choices.  If I ever need to sell off my collection of if I become unable to drive a manual transmission, or can't get in and out etc, I'll still always have a Lotus.

And fervent brand loyalty, even among the lovers of "old Lotus" can only help Lotus' image. 

I agree with this on all points:

- I have encountered many owners of classic Lotus Elans, Europas and Esprits who ran out to buy new Elises as soon as they were available in the States.  Many of these people kept both!

- And for fervent brand loyalty, just look at Ferrari.  Their new cars are red hot sellers, and their vintage cars are the leaders in the old car market.   It's all a big red fuzzy hazy mist of brand loyalty.   You can be that the people who pay top dollar for old Ferraris also buy new Ferraris.

Kyle -- how would you phrase an additional poll choice?   Reply how you would like it to read, and I will add it to the choices.  :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

there are also plenty of Lotus enthusiasts who are serial owners and married to the marque.  SOmething the poll doesn't take into account

Kyle -- how would you phrase an additional poll choice?   Reply how you would like it to read, and I will add it to the choices.  :)

No need guys, the second question in my original simple 3-line poll covers this:

"Love my car, but it's just one in a line of nice Lotuses I will own"

Perhaps I was trying to be a bit clever with my turn of phrase, it also possibly covers the last added question too.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Bought a S4 Seven around 1983 and kept it for a few years - actually raced it once too!

Bought Lottie new in 1990, sold her in 2002 (major mistake), bought her back in 2006 (yay). I keep thinking I'd be better with an Elise on our narrow bumpy roads, but I couldn't bear the loss a second time!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Bought an S4 Elan in 1975 but, as I was in my first job after college, I couldn't afford to keep it insured.  After a dalliance with a Mini Cooper I bought a +2.  That went to raise a deposit to buy a house (big mistake) which lead to a family and too many years being separated from a Lotus.  Bought my Esprit S2 in 2004 but sold it in 2008 as work pressures meant plus the change of climate from California to North Carolina it was starting to deteriorate.  An Elise is next when I move back to the UK and that I intend to keep for as long as I can get in and out of it.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

My Esprit S1 (100G) and I have been together 30 years ..... see our anniversary thread:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/60361-100g-and-me-…-30-years-together/

Bought my GT3 as an interim car while Lotus had the S1 on loan and then I was going to sell it again.... that was 5 years ago but I have a feeling the interim plan has fallen through and it will be a keeper as well.

I think it was Octane magazine who did an article on the different Esprit models and as I recall their top 3 models were the S1, The 300Sport ... or may have been the 350, the GT3 and there was another.

Anyway, owning two models of what they classed as the best models ever is good enough for me :-)

I think it was Octane magazine who did an article on the different Esprit models and as I recall their top 3 models were the S1, The 300Sport ... or may have been the 350, the GT3 and there was another.

Essex

Essex

Apologies Bazza... I knew there was another straggler there somewhere :sofa:

Probably take me the rest of my life to finish its restoration!

I will never sell it but I will also own many other cars in my lifetime, some of which may also become keepers and may or may not be Lotus.

Not sure where that outs me in the poll?

:)

It's getting there......

Collectively I've owned Lotus's for more than 20 years, greatest cars in the world, married, bollocks I'm having another affair.  :thumbsup:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)