free hit
counters
How many of you are Lotus "Lifers"? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loose Cannon

How many of you are Lotus "Lifers"?

Lotus Ownership Poll  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As my Esprit and me celebrated our Tin (10th) anniversary together I made a wish that health and good fortune allow us never to be parted. ^_^

It occurred that there are very few people on the forum still with the car they first logged on with, though others have stayed faithful to the marque, if not the car.

So, hand on heart, is this your ultimate dream car or just a stepping stone to that Countach you always promised yourself?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Added 2 more choices to your poll bud, hope that's ok.....and chose one of them cause I don't have a Lotus at present.

Had my S3 NA Esprit for 23 years now and the others for between 1 and 10 years. I don't think you can never say never but I think it unlikely I'd sell other than the black dry sump turbo which was bought as a mini project to bring back to life and then sell. 

Ocasionally I have thoughts of different cars partly because I don't get to use the Esprits as much as I'd like due to time pressures.

I also find it hard to justify (to myself) buying a depreciating asset when I could invest the money into the family, my pension etc etc

Blimey !

1894 that must have been the very first car let alone the very first Lotus

Lol

Edited by Mr_John111

I'd like to buy something new from Hethel. But there's absolutely nothing in the current line-up that gets my wallet sweating. I'm not the only one to be in this position.

Ah well.

Had my Esprit since 1987 - it's a keeper.

Had an Excel from 1991 to 1994, would like another one someday.

I had Esprits for 12 years, a third of my life when I sold the last one. Just spreading my automotive wings, I'm sure I'll be back!

Had an Excel for 10 years as a stop gap till the kids couldn't fit then got the esprit. Probably wont be the last esprit or lotus though.  

Edited by mdw

I've been elsewhere since I sold the Esprit V8GT in 2002. 2 TVRs, a Nissan GTR and an Aston Martin.

I'm back for good with the Exige V6 Cup. I had decided to never buy another car brand new. The Exige undid all that but I still wouldn't buy a new car from anyone else. Having driven them all I know what I like now and no other marque gets closer to my personal taste than Lotus.

Anyone unsure about the current line up need to drive the Evora and Exige V6, they really are exceptional.

2nd Lotus, but they need to grow the line up if they want to keep me, fancy something like a modern Esprit...

The option I want isn't there.

i.e. I'll keep it until I physically can't get in or out anymore.

I've been a serial Porsche owner for a 16 year period.  I bought the esprit as a stopgap whilst waiting for the values of the next Porsche I want to stabilize .

All this happened coming on 3 yrs ago, suffice to say i'm still very pleased with the esprit and don't have any plans to move on yet :smoke:

Guest Mutley00

Had a Gold Leaf Elan Sprint, Excel SE, Esprit SE & currently have S1 & S2 Elises and an S4S Esprit so the only way to go is a Sport 300, lottery win permitting!

Edited by Mutley00

I bought mine 89 SE of a 72 year old bloke who had it from new, if it wasn't for his health and strength he wouldn't have sold it, me and the mrs met the family, stayed there all day, then was allowed to back the next week to do a deal after after he decided I'd look after it !! It was like a job interview only being a fair drive from preston to Bristol twice !

Mines my dream car from being 12 (Teen Agent film, I'm 34 now) and hope to keep it for ever and keep it immaculate, it is almost a garage queen but does get out a bit.

I'd love a go in a V8 or the new exige S but doubt ill ever be in a position to have one as well as my SE.

I send photos when ive took it out somewhere interesting to the previous owner and he always rings back for a chat afterwards its great.

I've had 4 1/2 Lotus's since '87 ( one was a Caterham Seven ), not so long ago I was a lifer, now I'm looking at parole thanks to the apathy from Hethel these days. 

After more than 23 years I thought it best to vote marriage! 

But if the new Esprit ever gets built, and then the one they always meant to build first but didn't then gets developed, and then someone else buys one in the right colour/spec and looks after it and takes the first three years depreciation hit before moving it on....

....then I could see me getting all flighty and filing for divorce!

That was me who added the sixth option . . .  Didn't know how else to put it!    (Glad I'm not the only vote, too!)

It's a marriage, till death do us part...

Thats the one I chose, and when I lost my last Esprit I cremated her beside the road. That was four years ago. Hopefully this marriage will last a little longer than the last...

I wonder if the length of ownership is sometimes dictated  buy the amount of blood sweat and tears put in to them my the majority of us.  Perhaps  I might be more inclined to move it on had I just opened my wallet.  I ended up in casualty last year after stabbing myself in the eye with the corner of  a sheet of thin ally whilst climbing into the empty engine bay to make a heat shield for the engine mount. No permanent damage but there was an oh s*** is this going to change the rest of my life moment.

Edited by mdw