free hit
counters
S1 steering wheel differences... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 steering wheel differences...

I'm intrigued to find out if anybody knows about differences on the S1 steering wheel. I have an early S1 (30th off the production line) and the crash pad is a bit bigger than the inside diameter of the wheel. So the outer edges of the crash pad touch the inside leather of the wheel. I also have a spare wheel which is a bit bigger and there is a gap between the sides of the crash pad and the inside of the wheel. So mine is like this...

lrrv.jpg

The other alternative is like this...

nsq6.jpg

Both of these cars are early as they have the centre console ashtray like mine but the wheels are different?

Here's a picture of both types and you can see the difference in diameter...

20o6.jpg

I was beginning to think my wheel wasn't original but having seen some the same I'm sure it is.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd pic is my car, I have always thought my wheel looked weird in particular the crash pad, but I have only had S2's and one other S1. The crash pad seems a lot more square with sharper edges and wheel bigger.

Edited by Roger Moore

Mine is the second photo.  I didn't realise there were different versions.  I have an S3 wheel for day to day use as I'm 6 ft tall at the smaller diameter give me a little more room.

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

2nd one is actually my car.

Anthony what chassis number is your car? I think yours is Wendy Law's old car from memory.

By the looks of it the wheel changed very early on whilst the centre console ashtray was still being used.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

It is 145 from memory sitting on my sofa, making it no. 46 off the production line I think, Yes I travelled to Aberdeen twice to buy the car from Wendy who had owned the car for around 25+ years (a little saga in its self, but years later worth it) I also drove it back, breaking down in Birmingham with a snapped v belt, but I forgave it that.

In regards to the wheel they were probably still trying to finalise what they were going to use, as we all know they were rushed down the line into production, I recently changed an oil pressure sender that no one recognised but by judging by the look of it and my cars mileage of circa 44,000 miles it looked like it had been there from new!

I was told my rear valance was wrong once, but I recently heard they used two types.

Edited by Roger Moore

Paul my steering wheel is exacly like the one in the first photo (the first bigger crash pad model like yours) and

my car is further down the line #173 with no central ashtray ( but still a gelcoat car).  I'd say Lotus inconsistency once again.

Edited by Hemlock

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

....that or someone stuck a late S1 / S2 steering wheel on Anthony's car at some point. (????)

Edited by Hemlock

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Just noticed that the Bond car which is 7 chassis numbers before mine has the bigger wheel on it...

25u3.jpg

So they weren't using the type I have up to a point and then changed.

All very strange!!

Paul.

Might have known it would be my car that got accused of having the wrong wheel!

Then Bond comes to the rescue! Ha maybe I have the Bond edition steering wheel!

• 2 weeks later...

Vin my paint code is LS03 apparently it is Lemon yellow.

hmm.. mine is L31 which is also lemon yellow .. Don't know why they have 2 different codes for the same paint scheme only 2-3 years after your car.

Either way its great news, the colour looks great on your s1 :)

Vin Taylor

His exact email to me.

Anthony,

Thank you.

L=Lotus

S=Self colour (colour in the gel coat)

03=Lemon Yellow.

Andy Graham – Technical Publications and Archives
LOTUS AFTERSALES,
Units 6 & 7 John Hyrne Way, Longwater Business Park, Costessey, Norwich, Norfolk NR5 0AF England.

T +44 (0)1603 732178              agraham@lotuscars.com

www.lotuscars.com

Edited by Roger Moore