free hit
counters
Stop the anti-car hippies canning Top Gear! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Stop the anti-car hippies canning Top Gear!

Hi all...

I among others am deeply concerned that the HSE, Transport Select Committee and Road Safety Lobby will seek to use the recent accident to, once again, bring pressure to bear upon the BBC to change or worse still, shelve Top Gear.

We all know they have been gunning for the show for years (the Transport Select Committee (Chaired by a woman who DOESN'T DRIVE!) had a 'pop' at them back in 1999!) and the road safety lot have always hated the fact they show anything faster than a 1L Micra!

I have used the BBC official complaints process to make certain that any support is registered in exactly the same way as any criticism.

All you need to do is copy and paste the following 'letter' into the following webform:

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make_complaint_step1.shtml

* Choose you wish to make an official complaint.

* Choose Television programmes, BBC2 and Top Gear. I simply put the "transmision date" as 20 09 06.

* I also said I wished to receive a reply.

Thanks all,

Robin

Dear sir,

My apologies for using the official compaints process to register my feelings but I know the people who will be 'against' the programme will use this conduit so I must be certain my view is registered in the same way.

I note with a heavy heart the recent incident which has injured Richard Hammond, who is clearly a hugely popular presenter and we all hope for a full and speedy recovery.

I would like to throw my personal support behind the programme and I hope that you resist any pressures, external or internal to the corporation, which might seek to see Top Gear's format changed or worse still, removed from our screens.

Yours sincerely,

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys - we REALLY need to get in there NOW before they have a go

..and believe me they WILL have a go.

Top Gear has courted controversy in the past over its big-budget car stunts, and in 1999 a group of MPs criticised the series for being "obsessed with acceleration and speed".

Last year, lobby group Transport 2000 called for the show to be taken off the air accusing it of "glamorising speed and failing to make the connection with danger on the roads".

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

BBC have proved on two occasions in the past that they are reluctant to retain a programme format after someone has been seriously injured (or on one occasion killed). Both times the relevant programme was pulled almost immediately.

Jeremy Clarkson has already been quoted in a lengthy interview about 3 months ago, I think from either The Sunday Times or Sunday Telegraph. As saying they are running out of ideas and he would prefer to stop before it goes stale on them. So we were already close to the demise of Top Gear in its current format. I think they also continue to struggle with there permissions at there current location.

Top Gear has already managed to successfully do, 'Doctor Who' style regenerations a few times in the past since it started back in the late 70's. Cirumstances are all adding up to another major revamp. Damn shame as I love the current balance of tests, interviews and 'men behaving badly'.

Best wishes to Richard Hammond for a full recovery.

Jeff

This kinda stuff always makes me -> :D

ITV commenting on how he would need to be a fighter jet pilot to control the car, the next item on the news was their dipsy reporter with the British troops, getting in their way during a firefight with the telly-ban in Afganistan - health and safety anyone ?

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Done !

I love the format, with tests, silliness and jibes and insults directed at everyone, audience and guests included, and would hate to see it go because of an accident !!

I would think that at 300+ MPH if something goes wrong it's going to go very very wrong, fighter pilot behind the controls or not.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Well... It has started already!

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/sam_wo...n_top_gear.html

Anyone who likes the show - make yourself heard or never, EVER bitch about it, if indeed it does get shelved!

Sent my "complaint" mail.

Would be so sad to see the show canned.

I've watched a number of the different shows that the rest of Europe airs, and I tell you all, they are absoutely aweful in comparison to Top Gear :D

Fifth gear's a waste of space too!!!

Rob S

Lots of the News stories on TV are starting down this avenue :D They are increasingly giving voice to the morons who should never be heard :lol:

ITV commenting on how he would need to be a fighter jet pilot to control the car

haha....I just watched "5th gear" on Discovery RealTime last night (in HK) and they were trying to teach a Jet Fighter Pilot to how to drift in a Ford GT.

The pilot admits iti s harder than flying a Jet fighter....(at the end of the show, he still cannot drift a full circle....)

so I don't think one being jet fighter pilot does not mean he can handle a fast car

Nice one guys :D

Lucas - yes it is NOT automated - It's an "official" complaints procedure - I had cause to make on once a while ago and you get a real live human being response!! ;-) So it will get registered in the same way as an actual complaint - ie those who receive / process the complaints will be completely aware of the number of 'counter complaints' that balance them! :lol:

For those still doubting my early concerns this is from the today's Daily Mail's www

"Here's my advice to drivers: steer clear of the White City area of London this weekend, as, over the next couple of days, tanks bearing road safety lobby groups and assorted transport clipboard wielders trundle towards BBC Television Centre, tooting their horns with self-righteous indignation.

Their intention will be to encourage the producers of Top Gear to rein in the antics of its three presenters, after the tragic accident involving the diminutive and preppy Richard Hammond."

pmsl.

Always cracks me up reading stuff like this.

Just about everything in that article was wrong, absolutly cracks me up reading this and TG are getting blamed for every single instance of speeding in the UK - totally hilarious :lol:

The basic fact that nigh on ALL the tests are done on an airfield in perfect safety to the general public is beyond the point though right !?

Like saying that if a racing driver crashes they need to lower the speed limits - If this was done on the M25 they'd have an argument but

Whats all this about the bloke should do road safety ads....the guy wasn't driving a road car and he wasn't on the bloody road !! Are these people mental ?

Wonder if 1/2 the time this is done to wind level headed people up or is it that everyone gets a kick out of being in charge nowadays and telling ppl what to do.

Same way as he wonders what makes Hammond qualified to drive a jet car I'm wandering what makes him qualified to be a journalist :D

(Journalist = outlandish comments = get noticed) That comment about Andy green nearly made me fall off my seat with laughter, totally different kettle of fish - besides it was ppl doing stuff like what hammond was doing in the 1st place which enabled SSC to even be made (oh wait but its patriotic, another small chance to fly that Union Flag)

"Sorry Mr breedlove / Mr Arfons but the H&S decided thats 1 crash too many and don't like your bouncy attitude towards living - sport's been banned"

Looks like he's getting better though which is the main thing !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Yeah - let's do away with those pesky national heroes like Donald Campbell! :lol:

It was an accident, tragic, but an accident. I hate the general trend of this 'PC' world where they want to wrap eveyone in cotton wool - not for our safety but so people/companies don't get their arses sued off.

I could get run over by a bus today crossing the road and killed. I hope I don't, but I could. What they going to do, ban busses, ban walking or crossing the road?!

It's like window cleaners now aren't allowed up ladders anymore so use these stupid long poles which mean that A.) your windows don't get cleaned properly and B.) most window cleaners will be signed off work with RSI and back/neck issues in the next few years. Why, to stop a couple of people falling off ladders? Good plan, well done Mr. HSE!

At the end of the day we all know and understand the risks involved in anything we do, as did Richard Hammond. I wish him a speedy recovery and I'm sure he'd be the first to get back in a car and do it all over again. Well, maybe not quite at such a speed?!

Anyway, rant over - long live TG and plenty of speed!

Cheers

Andy

MK1 Volkswagen Golf Owners Club Well, had to get this one in if anyones interested?!

There was a quote on the BBC news today form Jezza saying he was now fighting like mad to make sure there was still a Top Gear show for Richie to come back to.