free hit
counters
Essex Spec White Turbo Esprit @ Paul Matty - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lex Templar

Essex Spec White Turbo Esprit @ Paul Matty

I looked at machining mine but didnt like the idea of removing that much material. The BBS wheels aren't really that 100% round being cast and even a light skim to clean up would remove more material than I would like...so I just polished mine. I did have the luxury of spinning them on the lathe but you could do it with elbow grease. I think they look nice.

11062010015.jpg

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

very nice buddsy

looks like GGTurbos have gone up in value £10k in the last month!  ;)

good for you, still one of the best looking cars on the planet

:thumbup: 

Bit of arm ache I should think but people do pay to get the feeling at gym's. Thats what I tell myself!

Buddsy

I heard that a collector in the Middle East was after it.

But it got snapped up by someone on here in the nick of time.....

..... hang on a minute, massive hole in the kids' college fund, wife packing her bags, and this is now my screensaver:

img_7828_zps9c90b28f.jpg

it must have been me!

Sweet!

• Like 1

Wow Well done Jonny thats great news! If you ever want to recreate that pic with your self instead of the girl in the bikini let me know. We would have to get down there maybe early on a bright sunday morning before people arrive.

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

Plan A is to find a set of Compomotives first but that's a very good plan B Dave. Obviously if anyone knows where I might find a set that are at least refurbishable along with the hubs, please do get in touch.

Buddsy I'd really like to recreate that famous shot one day but it would be great to find Miss Bikini herself and get her in the shot too. I think she should be allowed to wear some clothes this time!

Lol! By now you may want her to!

My next plan with those wheels was to drill/tap and fit the split rim screws, if you want help getting them done let me know.

Good luck finding the comps and hubs though, I will keep my eyes open for you.

Dave

Cheers folks.

You can rest assured there will be a blizzard of photos once I get my mits on it.

And Scott, feel free to work your magic in talking prices up without delay!

Just for you, here's another picture:

img_7834_zps5090cd0e.jpg

I'm not having my dinner off that tonight but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to!  

Edited by The Pits

It would be so interesting to trace this cars past through contacting Lotus and the previous owners, I wonder if it left the factory on comps and got changed to BBS later in life due to leaks on the alloys etc?

Does seem to have such an early spec as both the dry sump cars I knew never had the roof stereo and only one had the comps?

So jealous looking at that engine bay, seems you have invested your money very wisely.

I believe if it were my car and a set of wheels came up that I could reverse engineer the 5 stud hubs to fit the early wheels but would need to see them first. Are the centres the same size? Would not be a problem if the comps had a larger centre only if they were much smaller. The PCD change would be ok after weld up followed by NDE to ensure no stress had occurred.

Certainly worth thinking about.

Now go find some wheels and a secondhand set of hubs to play with??

So jealous as she is beautiful to look at.

Dave

Yes I'd be very interested to dig out as much history as possible. I've already contacted Guy Munday who sold the car a few years ago and will contact Lotus soon.

The Panasonic stereo was the clincher for me. I can still remember reading the first Motor Road test with a mate. The stereo in the roof was just the coolest thing ever (I was 12!). It will be forever 1981 inside so I will be enforcing a strict policy of playing music released in that year only!

It's a very exciting prospect for me to own a 'Chapman' car and the Turbo Esprit was essentially the last car he had direct involvement with. Paul Matty tells a fascinating tale about Chapman's own Turbo Esprit and the ideas he was toying with that are still on the car, which Paul discovered and brought back into service. It has modified parts such as the door and window seals on it apparently, he was experimenting with negative pressure inside the cabin. Genius never sleeps! 

I love the audacity of the car back in '81. Lotus actually priced it in Essex spec a full £800 above the Ferrari 308! It really was Lotus taking on the world and winning! I can also remember most of my time since wanting a Turbo HC but it's all about the look of the early cars for me now.

Compomotives will complete it. But I'm prepared to be patient.