free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 22 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Prices Soaring

rizla603104

14 hours ago, The Pits said:

On that one he is trying the "Reset mileage to zero when rebuilt" trick. Thats not really going to cut it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't know S3's well but I'd love to know why it has an S2 dash. Those speaker pods, the gear knob and those side repeaters - practical arguably, but not good for the original classic buyer. The shut line of the boot lid doesn't scream attention to detail either. But maybe it's very good and I hope it sells.

10 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Im not saying its too much (especially in comparison with other classics) but more expensive than most other N/A S3. Its not particularly great in its condition and originality considering the hefty price tag. Still why not. Still a nice car. See what else that kind of money gets you in the classic car world. Maybe a Ford Capri?

@The Pits If that is £22k must make your Turbo worth 100k...and Im not even joking.

Buddsy

Tell you what Buds, you're a top bloke, I'll knock a couple of grand off just for you, call it £98k ;)

I looked at a Lancia Integrale 16v today, needed new tyres, belts, cam cover needed repainting, it was covered in mould underneath, no service history, 79,000 kms. He wanted £22,500 for it. If it was an Evo 2 Integrale the price would have been over £45k. It's still amazing how much Lotus you can get for £20k.

Beside that, I hope you do well with your Esprit Buddsy, after all the work that's gone into it, it's only right. With the shares going down hill and no interest from the banks 2016 could see classic cars do even better. As with the NSX which has recently gone through the roof after years of being ignored by collectors, it might be the Esprit's turn to be the next big thing. Having seen what rust can do to some of the cars we used to dream about when we were kids, the whole composite body thing is a real plus.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Pits said:

Tell you what Buds, you're a top bloke, I'll knock a couple of grand off just for you, call it £98k ;)

I looked at a Lancia Integrale 16v today, needed new tyres, belts, cam cover needed repainting, it was covered in mould underneath, no service history, 79,000 kms. He wanted £22,500 for it. If it was an Evo 2 Integrale the price would have been over £45k. It's still amazing how much Lotus you can get for £20k.

Beside that, I hope you do well with your Esprit Buddsy, after all the work that's gone into it, it's only right. With the shares going down hill and no interest from the banks 2016 could see classic cars do even better. As with the NSX which has recently gone through the roof after years of being ignored by collectors, it might be the Esprit's turn to be the next big thing. Having seen what rust can do to some of the cars we used to dream about when we were kids, the whole composite body thing is a real plus.  

Galvanized frame  and fiberglass was a brilliant move by Chapman for sure. You Brits had a thing about cars rotting out. My 75 TR6 had been undercoated to put most of that in check. The deck above the fuel tank was always suspect, even on the TR4's. Those cars here have seen some serious price moves up over the past ten years. TR250's or your TR5 are regularly in the mid $40,000 range here. Esprit cars will soon follow along over the coming years for a well cared for specimen with a knowing collector. The Turbo will more than likely lead the way. My 83 Turbo is serial number 357 and still has the build sheet on the back of the drivers visor with a tag on it and the corner of the window with Z062. I wonder if that was the dealer code. Anybody got an idea?  Those 1983 cars paved the way for saving Lotus here with the financing scheme that Chappy put together with the 50 person investor group. I hope that that will help pricing here. There is one of the first factory tuned 50 investor cars for sale here that is reasonably priced but it has been under a car port for 6 years outside languishing. It could lead to a total rebuild. I probably would have bought it over Penelope if I had know the history of that 50 car transaction. Right now my hands are full getting her ready for spring. but maybe down the road,,,,,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

Galvanized frame  and fiberglass was a brilliant move by Chapman for sure. 

Yes, in the winter I am going to Ferrari Owners Club meetings in the Esprit. Apart from creating more attention then the Ferraris, I can laugh at all the F owners who wont go out in the winter when it might rain or salt on the roads.

Ferrari owners are paranoid about rust. There are a few tiny spots on my 328 but thankfully not too serious.

Thats just another reason why the price differential makes no sense.

Italian cars were far worse then British for rust. Lancia had to pull out of the UK because of their reputation being ruined by rusting cars. Ferrari started to issue a book of rustproofing vouchers with new cars in the 80's which gave free re-application of underseal every year. I still have the book for mine. What this ended up with was an application of rustroofing gunk all over every damn thing including the shocks, springs, steering rack gaiters etc etc in other words a total mess. I spent 3 months cleaning it all off mine from parts where it should not have been.

• Like 1

To back up that prices are on the up, before Christmas Paul Matty sold an early GT3 for £25K.  As Mark says, it's not before time, it's not long ago that 355's could be had for under £40k, now they are £100k +.  In answer to your question Mark, when will it end?  When interest rates go up and people start putting money in banks again.  Classic cars are now like art, an almost safe bet.

If anyone was in any doubt about the sheer daftness of some of the prices out there how about this for half the price of a 246 Dino?!

http://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/329/Historic-Rally-Cars/listings/34750/Colin-McRae-Prodrive-Subaru-Impreza.html

The other big draw for Classic Cars is the lack of Capital Gains Tax. As far as the IR is concerned cars are a depreciating asset which of course applies to the vast majority. One day the IR will cop on and the whole game will be up. Internal combustion engines won't be allowed on the road forever either. Not a problem for the car above but it will have to have an impact on all but the most special and important classic cars. Best to buy and enjoy now while we can!

OK chaps we've veered onto the hard shoulder here, my fault entirely, I was at the wheel at the time. New thread entitled 'Internal combustion - how long have we got?" on its way.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2016 at 21:57, The Pits said:

I looked at a Lancia Integrale 16v today, needed new tyres, belts, cam cover needed repainting, it was covered in mould underneath, no service history, 79,000 kms. He wanted £22,500 for it.

I bought a mint one (albeit good RHD conversion, with some cosmetic improvements) in about 2006 for £6500 and sold it a year or so later for £7000! 

Integralefrontright3qtr.jpg

Integrale2.jpg

It only provided me with just the one moment like this:...

DSC00035.jpg

• Gold FFM

Prices are starting to move upwards for all classics at a pace now.

missed a stag at £5k earlier in the week - bollox - it's now on carandclassic for £9500 !!!!!

it seems all and everything is going up up up. I even heard of a 1998 rav 4 with fsh every document from new one owner being sold to a collector for £4800 this week !!!

Only here once

The B&C Esprit was used for a magazine article in 2005 when it was compared with an Exige. It had black centered BBS wheels to make them look like Compomotives and was for sale at Paul Mattys at the time.

If somebody here buys it I can let them have the piece.

Made an enquiry about an S2 listed on LEW. The ad was put there in early '15 and lists the car as a project needing TLC, 78k miles on the clock. £4,950. Well it sold last year and although he didn't mention when exactly his exact words were "could have sold it many times over...still receiving emails every week."

Not surprising at that price, but good to hear none the less.

Dutch (public) auction, just started....... closing Febr. 12th 2016............35 x Ferrari Classic's......

56ab703119b9f_e4e122c4-9e63-11e5-8ce0-da

http://veiling.catawiki.nl/ferrari-oldtimerveiling

Note: at top of listing language can be changed into English ( see "dot" with nl )

Edited by rudolphwolven

• 2 weeks later...

This 1983 Esprit just sold at auction in the US for $46k (US) and is now listed at a US dealer for $64,500 (negotiable).  Nice mark up....if they can get it!

http://www.autosportdesigns.com/inventory/stock/919/lotus-esprit-turbo-1983

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23132/lot/16/