free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 35 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Prices Soaring

rizla603104

I saw it too.  The car was literally out of the box, I've never seen such a well kept car.  All the exterior plastics and rubber were as new.  As was the interior.  It was like stepping back into a Peugout showroom from the mid 80s and seeing the new 205 GTI 1.9.

Still £31k is £31k!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As a matter of interest, do you think that the car was serviced every year as per the manufacturers recommendation? If so then that expense would really eat into the profit margin on a 1980's car, If not would you not want to know why and what's going to need replacing as a result of the lack of attention.

Just sayin' ...:sofa:

7986 miles per the advert.

The point I'm making is that whilst most of us agree that prices are rocketing up and that's great, if the cars are being maintained properly then we should factor in that cost to the perceived 'profit' that is being talked about.

For example, my S3 NA costs about £750 to maintain a year irrespective of the negligible miles I do in it. Whilst its  value has probably doubled in the last 5 years having owned it since 1990 I will have spent probably 26 years worth of £750/year or close on £20k in total.

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed every moment of owning it and wouldn't change it for a second but just looking at it a different way suggests that some of these cars really should trade at their current perceived 'inflated' prices.

That's weird, my mate looked in the car and saw 900 miles on the odometer.  It didn't look like it had done any miles to be honest.

Yes I agree about servicing but as you know you never get back what you put into these things.

Looking like a bargain next to a 205 but glad to see this selling well: 

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1979-lotus-esprit-jps-show-car-1-of-2

• Like 1

A very nice car but no mention of mileage. Being a show car wouldn't be worth paying any extra for, not for me personally anyway. Pretty strong money for an S2 assuming the mileage isn't particularly low.

60000 miles. not really done many miles over the past few years. 1-200 most years with a couple with 1-2000 miles.

I wonder what's mine's worth now? 

Nice car but I'd always yearn for the earlier dash and boost guage. I liked the revised dash at the time and bought a V8GT too. But it doesn't do much for me now. Seriously under-endowed in the guage department!

I think the same, 50k all day long :) S350,ESSEX,JPS etc built in low number runs demand a higher premium that the right people will pay.  God i think i nearly payed 12k for a smashed up S350 many moons ago but bottled it at the last minute. !  

A

That is my old car very quick, think it has the sport 350 ecu and has a after market exhaust so quite loud, body work is excellent and the interior is mint car was uber reliable and serviced by the guys in shepherds bush pretty regularly so my thoughts are that it should be within spitting distance of the 50k mark, it has been up since april but some cars do take 6 months to find a home and who ever gets the car has a machine that needs nothing doing to it.

$_20.jpg

Lotus Esprit V8 SE... 10/1998 ... only 4000 kilometers ... 68.000 €

This beautiful Lotus Esprit V8 SE was delivered in 1998 by the official Lotus dealer SGT in Berkshire. Because the owner was Protugese he decided to order this new car in a LHD configuration. 
The car has been used very rarely and has been stored all its life dry in a garage. This makes the condition of the car as brand new. We were able to buy this first owner car with only 4000 kilometers!. The car is 100% original, has the original registration from the first owner in 1998, with the original invoice and order document.. 
This Lotus Esprit V8 is for sure the best example on the market. On top of this wonderful condition, this Lotus is one of the second series of the V8. This makes the car a lot more interesting because the reliability of these cars is much better like the first series. This car has the new rear wing and the new designed dashboard.
Car can be viewed on appointment.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=230624784&usageType=PRE_REGISTRATION&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&usage=USED&isSearchRequest=true&zipcode=&sortOption.sortOrder=DESCENDING&makeModelVariant1.makeId=15900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=7&pageNumber=1

Edited by rudolphwolven

16 hours ago, The Pits said:

Nice car but I'd always yearn for the earlier dash and boost guage. I liked the revised dash at the time and bought a V8GT too. But it doesn't do much for me now. Seriously under-endowed in the guage department!

Johnny, you have an Integrale - How many gauges does a man need in his life? :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 12/10/2013 at 16:29, rizla603104 said:

I don't know if I've woken up in the twilight zone - but every Esprit I see for sale (even the ropey ones) seem to be going for lots and lots of money.....

S1's - in good order - £25 to £40k

S2's and S3's - £10 to £16k

X180's > £10k

SE's > £12k

S4's > £16k

S4S >£19k

V8's >£19k

What's happened? Does anyone know - is it because the good ones are less and so they're worth more?

Has James Bond declared he's buying an X180 for the next film?

As a footnote there are also some absolute howlers for sale at the moment who seem to think that they have equally good cars and seem to be trying to cash in on the price increase too.

Look at this post now, 2 years later and you can see the differences, 19k for a V8 I wish. I started looking last summer, when average cars were in the low 20s. Found this lovely GT and tried to haggle, although I had a budget of 25k, I went to 26.5,  I was told straight, screen price, no less, 20151107_153249.jpg or on yer bike!

How many cars can command this type of pricing. I walked away and eventually found my car (with boost gauge), under budget in March this year.

• Like 2