free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 45 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rizla603104

Prices Soaring

Yep, I know exactly what you mean when you say "the right one" I walked away from what looked like an absolute beauty. The wife wasn't keen on the salesman...!   Then when I came across my unloved and slightly neglected V8, something felt right about it, even the Mrs was keen. So a deal was done..!

I've since found out that the absolute beauty I'd walked away from, was far from it, and has so far cost it's owner a small fortune..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 minute ago, Steve V8 said:

Yep, I know exactly what you mean when you say "the right one" I walked away from what looked like an absolute beauty. The wife wasn't keen on the salesman...!   Then when I came across my unloved and slightly neglected V8, something felt right about it, even the Mrs was keen. So a deal was done..!

I've since found out that the absolute beauty I'd walked away from, was far from it, and has so far cost it's owner a small fortune..

"I've since found out that the absolute beauty I'd walked away from, was far from it, and has so far cost it's owner a small fortune.."

Yep, that's the killer with an Esprit, especially a V8, buy the wrong one and your wallet can end up bleeding to death !!.

PF

• Like 2

Ooh careful @Paul Foster its still early days for you...........

still with that colour and the rear wing - not sure you could go wrong

Only here once

AWI wheels are the dog's bits. Your car may have been a V8-GT (I think AWIs were originally standard on that??) with comfort seats and the spoiler added later. The Esprit is such a mix and match car owners are always fiddling.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yes, AWIs were standard on the V8-GT, at least for the first couple of years I believe. The V8-SE seats and spoiler were factory options I think. So it could have come out of the factory like that, Andy at Lotus could give the provenance.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Ooh careful @Paul Foster its still early days for you...........

still with that colour and the rear wing - not sure you could go wrong

Don't worry, @Barrykearley I'm braced for impact !!, there's still lots that could go wrong yet !! :-)

I'm not sure that the colour and wing will protect me from major mechanical's !! :-), would be nice though.

PF

Edited by Paul Foster
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

AWI wheels are the dog's bits. Your car may have been a V8-GT (I think AWIs were originally standard on that??) with comfort seats and the spoiler added later. The Esprit is such a mix and match car owners are always fiddling.

@Loose Cannon Yep, that's quite possible, the logbook just says Esprit V8, no clue either way.

Am I right in thinking that when the 98 car was first released there was only one version and it was split in 99 into GT and SE ?.

8 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Yes, AWIs were standard on the V8-GT, at least for the first couple of years I believe. The V8-SE seats and spoiler were factory options I think. So it could have come out of the factory like that, Andy at Lotus could give the provenance.

@swindon_alan I'm assuming Andy is the Lotus archivist ?, do you know how I might get in touch ?.

PF

Edited by Paul Foster

48 minutes ago, Paul Foster said:

@Loose Cannon Yep, that's quite possible, the logbook just says Esprit V8, no clue either way.

Am I right in thinking that when the 98 car was first released there was only one version and it was split in 99 into GT and SE ?.

@swindon_alan I'm assuming Andy is the Lotus archivist ?, do you know how I might get in touch ?.

PF

No, '98 was when the V8 was split into -SE and -GT models. A base -GT should look like this:

Lotus_Esprit_V8_Side.jpg

Skinny seats, no boot spoiler and AWIs.

Alternatively it might be an -SE after all with retro fitted AWI wheels.

Listed options were:
V8-GT: Air-conditioning, driver airbag, Alpine radio/cassette or radio/CD, CD multichanger, V8-SE seats, leather upholstery, coloured piping for leather upholstery, metallic paint, premium paint,

But Lotus would have supplied anything that was asked for.

Andy Graham is indeed the Lotus archivist and a top bloke.

It's a vanilla '98 V8-SE @Barrykearley :)

Oz Racing Saturn wheels, more luxurious interior, improved front wiper, silly high spoiler, tiny girl's binnacle, dodgy gearbox... xxx

lotus_esprit_v8_1998_s.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers fella - knew you'd know.......

the SE spec obviously had all the very best parts fitted then

dodgy box was a rebuilt unit fitted by previous owner.

• Like 1

Only here once

The GT was considerably cheaper than the SE, and in fact you could spec a GT up to SE standards for less than the SE which is why Lotus sold lots more GT's than SE's.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

The GT was considerably cheaper than the SE, and in fact you could spec a GT up to SE standards for less than the SE which is why Lotus sold lots more GT's than SE's.

Um, not true Mr Bibs?

Model Years Note Numbers
V8 96-97   435
V8 GT 98-01   204
V8 SE 98-01   517
S350 99-01 Limited 54
02 02-04   292

7 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

No, '98 was when the V8 was split into -SE and -GT models. A base -GT should look like this:

Lotus_Esprit_V8_Side.jpg

Skinny seats, no boot spoiler and AWIs.

Alternatively it might be an -SE after all with retro fitted AWI wheels.

Listed options were:
V8-GT: Air-conditioning, driver airbag, Alpine radio/cassette or radio/CD, CD multichanger, V8-SE seats, leather upholstery, coloured piping for leather upholstery, metallic paint, premium paint,

But Lotus would have supplied anything that was asked for.

Andy Graham is indeed the Lotus archivist and a top bloke.

@swindon_alan Ah, I see, so its one or the other. The photo of the GT shows the extended transom or lip spoiler, mine has the flat transom with no lip spoiler. It also has full leather, comfort seats and air con, so best guess is its an SE with retro fitted AWI wheels ?. Anyway, I have emailed Andy at lotus so will find out for certain in due course, I will update :-)

PF

Edited by Paul Foster

6 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

It's a vanilla '98 V8-SE @Barrykearley :)

Oz Racing Saturn wheels, more luxurious interior, improved front wiper, silly high spoiler, tiny girl's binnacle, dodgy gearbox... xxx

@Barrykearley "improved front wiper" ah, that's interesting, can you elaborate ?. Mine leaves a huge area un wiped, is there a larger wiper option ?.

PF

God knows !! It sure wipes better than my last esprit. And the wiper doesn't occasionally fly off if not secured with a trusty cable tie !!

to be fair I find the rear spoiler helps in every respect :thumbsup:

Only here once

4 hours ago, Paul Foster said:

@Barrykearley "improved front wiper" ah, that's interesting, can you elaborate ?. Mine leaves a huge area un wiped, is there a larger wiper option ?.

PF

Yours should have the improved front wiper pantograph as well @Paul Foster, it was standard on all '98 on models.

98 on V8.PNG

98 on wiper.PNG

If your wiper doesn't then it is usually that the blade is doing a lump of concrete impersonation. Buy a new one!

These are the V8-GT differences from the V8-SE:

98 on V8-GT.PNG

Nope @ian29gte it's fitted to the tailgate - so is up in the air out the way. Good place to hang a light off though

• Like 1

Only here once

On 20/12/2016 at 08:32, swindon_alan said:

Yours should have the improved front wiper pantograph as well @Paul Foster, it was standard on all '98 on models.

98 on V8.PNG

98 on wiper.PNG

If your wiper doesn't then it is usually that the blade is doing a lump of concrete impersonation. Buy a new one!

These are the V8-GT differences from the V8-SE:

98 on V8-GT.PNG

Yep, mine looks like that, it wipes fine where it actually touches the windscreen, the problem is that by design it leaves a large area un wiped at the bottom of the screen, i wonder if a slightly larger wiper would help ?.

PF

Is the wiper a flat one ?? You need one that's bent like a banana when it's not on the windscreen

Only here once

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Is the wiper a flat one ?? You need one that's bent like a banana when it's not on the windscreen

Ah, I see, I will check.....

PF

It seems the Practical Classics price guide has its own take on Lotus prices, I think their researcher needs to read the classifieds over the past year.....

E.g. Esprit S1 in concours condition £15k ?

IMG_2658.JPG

Some prices are a little closer to the mark so it will be interesting to compare to last years, I will dig it out being a subscriber.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Dave,  used to be an avid reader of practical classics a long time ago and always found their price guide to be well off, not just on lotus but most classics. The only correct stuff was the porker,dancing donkeys and Jags ! 

On the jag note what the hell happened to jag mk2 prices over the years,projects used to cost the earth, nowdays they can be had for a steal !

Sadly like all good mags practical classics and retro performance cars contents of page adverts for insurance,tools etc out ways the actual read and car picture content.

Hence why i stopped reading them, miss the practical classics crossword though as its the only one I have ever enjoyed doing or been good at for that matter :P

• Like 1

A