free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 50 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think prices will drop a lot more as we Brexit. It doesn't matter unless you have to sell. I have restored two car s now with labour and parts you are looking north of £50k, and that's if

After 16 years of ownership and 10 months on the market, I received the official word today that my '94 S4 has sold and is now with its new owner. Sold for: AUD$74,000 I bought the car in th

I have the same experience.....26 years of ownership and 52.000 km on the odo......with my '90 Esprit Turbo SE I have all the invoices since purchase in 1993; total cost of maintenance during all

Posted Images

TBH I'd have bought either generation as my first Esprit. Just happened that this Stevens came up at an unmissable price when I thought I'd still be 10 years from being able to afford one.

All my childhood memories are of seeing and sitting in G cars but I tend to think of the Stevens as a more 'sorted' car. I have love for both!

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

32 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

at the moment I have a G Turbo itch that I need to scratch. 

Sounds painful.  I'd recommend some ointment.

When you're cured you'll realise your Stevens Esprit is nicer.

• Like 1

I tried to fit into an earlier car, maybe 1984-ish, but it was an ergonomic disaster for me. It was only when I realised about three years ago that the cockpits had been enlarged that I went out and bought one. Ergonomics are still not great, but much better. The styling is completely subjective, but for me the S1 and S2 are nicest looking of the early cars.

Margate Exotics.

Out of curiosity I sat in a G car (an S2) at the NEC classic this year, so I know I'll definitely fit. It was different for sure and I expected it to feel cramped or odd compared to my Stevens but it didn't.

Different for sure but weirdly I felt like I probably had a bit more legroom. Could just be down to the seats but it did have the standard seats in.

I have to say Both stunning cars.I think lotus did a fantastic job on the x180 cars ....Very clever .Diffacult to follow a masterpiece of the Origional g cars .I for one like love both cars .....Mike

The Esprit wins hands down in looks.

2 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

I thought I'd still be 10 years from being able to afford one.

I had the same experience when I bought my Turbo Esprit 30 years ago. I thought I could just about afford an N/A, but the PO of my Esprit said he wanted a very low price for it (60% of the going rate for a TE), so I bit his arm off - I think I paid £500 more than he had been offered for it as a trade-in for a new Mercedes.

So it seems the biggest problem with owning an Esprit is that it makes you want two! 

Trouble is I fancy a diesel Jag XJ as my daily driver so there's a budget problem already :(

Imho every iteration of the Esprit is very good looking. There are only 2 things visually I don't like in all the models.

First, the bumpers on the S3, yes the G turbos are on trend at the moment but that wrap around bumper is just not attractive in my opinion. There are some colour combos that help the bumper to not stand out so much and a few colour combos that I think look fantastic. And even when the bumper stands out unattractively, the rest of the car looks awesome.

Second is the high wing on the SE. Rare and exotic yes, but totally destroys the silhouette.

At some point I'm hoping to trade one of my Stevens cars for an s2 :)

I'm sure this has all been said before and will probably all be said again for many years, so feel free to ignore me!

• Gold FFM

I can honestly say - I've never seen an esprit I don't like - they are all stunning in their own right. 

Much prefer the v8 arches and the higher v8 wing on the later cars - but even the NA cars with no spoiler look amazing.

prices are only going to continue to rise - and rightly so

Only here once

On the Stevens cars I always find my brain is telling me "The front of the bumper should be flat". Its amazing how much difference the slight curve makes to the looks. 

There are two other very small design cues on the Stevens which to my eyes dont quite look right but I have no idea why, which are the small step on the nose just behind the top of the front bumper, and the cut-lines where the filler cap is. I have no idea why I prefer the look of the big G-car filler cap over the square cut-lines but I just do.

But the other main benefit of the G-cars is no bolted-on wings which I loathe on any car.

Despite all of that, Stevens did a great job on the car and was absolutely the right change to make at the time.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Andyww said:

But the other main benefit of the G-cars is no bolted-on wings which I loathe on any car.

Ahh, my N/A is fantastically wingless! 

x180 cars ....Remind me of lotus .going back to clean lines .similar to a Europa  front.But a bit more aggressive for the SE.As has been said before I think they did a great job .i live approx 4 miles from sj sports cars .Now and again I see a esprit on the road ...s1 on the way to work ....when I saw it on the road it looked mind blowing ....wow.i was interested in a x180 Steve had ....but did not want to buy it until I sold my car....Bummer he sold it ....All the lotus range of cars are as we all know very special ....Mike

• Like 1

Agreed. Thay all look much better in the flesh than on Pictures or posters.

Kind regards,

And I like them with or without wings. Would I take the wing off mine? Nope. Never. Well, actually I did, but it was off for 15 minutes to install some new rubber feet underneath, then back on!

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Another Ghibli photo. I think it's one of just 8 SS Coupé RHD manuals. It's also got the desirable factory options of power steering and limited slip differential. It's now worth about 10x what he paid for it!

GhilbliSSaboveleft.jpg

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight
  • Like 1

If someone would, they could make the exact same shape and add modern technical specs underneath. And they could spend some time and oney convinving the legislators about it too, so low bumpers and bonnets etc. would be legal again.

I don't really understand why a 1,6 meter high vertical front of a 4*4 is less harmful than say a Ghibli. And the Ghibli driver would probably be more likely to drive properly than the average 4*4 driver.

No Wonder why the Classic sportscars have become so expensive, prices soaring and all.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)