free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 51 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

On 12.2.2017 at 00:21, Jacques said:

Someone really had the balls to design in those days. Much in contrast to todays germanised sterile, sexless nonpotent design of audi, to whom they all kneel in front of. How boring and useless.

I partly agree. Last summer I had a test drive of Audi R8, the older model with V8 engine.

Very nice and easy to drive. Could be used as a daily driver. It is like a sensible, easy approach to supercar.

The only problem is that the Super or sports car is not suppose to be "easy".

That is the whole point of buying and driving thr sports car. Nowdays you are supposed to be able to drive extremely powerfull machine like an idiot and the electronics must take care that the car does not bite the idiotic driver to ass.

• Like 2

"Older I get, faster I was"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think prices will drop a lot more as we Brexit. It doesn't matter unless you have to sell. I have restored two car s now with labour and parts you are looking north of £50k, and that's if

After 16 years of ownership and 10 months on the market, I received the official word today that my '94 S4 has sold and is now with its new owner. Sold for: AUD$74,000 I bought the car in th

I have the same experience.....26 years of ownership and 52.000 km on the odo......with my '90 Esprit Turbo SE I have all the invoices since purchase in 1993; total cost of maintenance during all

Posted Images

How easy it is to drive is another thing. But designwise, take a look at all those beautifull 1965-1995 but mostly in the 1960-1979 aera. They look so good. Take a look at the roofline on an old Bora and compare that to say... the ehrm... evora et al. I prefer the old design. Each to his own of course.

Personally, I am not much for all that Electronics. And definately not driverless cars...

I think part of that Price soaring is due not only to the investor/speculator, but also because some people (like us) see the value in the design and involving way of having to be driven. I don't want a sportscar that my 300 year old great great great grand father can drive blindfolded. So I have the Esprit ;)

ps: I still think the german way of making design is very dull and boring on most of their cars. Imagine if a talented new car designer had the guts to do a Classic 1970'ie sportscar design and the shareholders made it happen. Oh well, I just answered my own question: shareholders. Taking the fun out of everything.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

10 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Another Ghibli photo. 

If I came into money like a lottery win thats what Id buy. Ghibli or maybe a Khamsin.

Ive said it before but what is it with Italian designers. Guirao or Gandini they could just do it.

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Parked my '90 Esprit SE between a couple of Ferrari's......GTB, GTC's and Testaron's.....

Could be that it will cause some irritated comments on their parking lot.......or turn some amazing heads......( "barnfind" or something )......

I assume that I will get a parking fine or will be towed away / banned soon...........

( Btw: my intentions and price are not serious !)

Total Lotus / Ferrari offered on mobile.de is 0.356 / 2.711 units

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&scopeId=C&minPrice=90000&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=1&isSearchRequest=true&pageNumber=2

Edited by rudolphwolven
  • 3 weeks later...

No idea what these numbers are based on but thought it relevant to this thread all the same:

http://www.supercarreport.com/lotus-prices/

It doesnt make any sense and certainly has no meaning. Lazy piece of summary that doesn't even differentiate between variants of a model :getmecoat:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I noticed some interesting article  at .......FerrariChat.com / Other cars / British /  / Lotus Esprit.........

from a Ferrari-owner which owned 6 Esprits, still has a 1985 turbo Esprit, about Esprit values etc...........

06-09-2015, 10:52 AM .....

F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I have owned 6 Esprits, I still own a 1985 turbo Esprit. Bang for the buck, they are incredible cars. But you must be able to turn a wrench or you will go broke quick!

On the road they are a blast to drive and look like a 100k car to the average joe, most people are shocked you can buy them for under 15k. And why can you buy one so cheap?

Simple, Lotus owners are the worst :-) 
They bash their own marque constantly. If a newb posts on Lotus Talk about an esprit he found and wants to restore everyone gangs up on him telling him horror stories about the car and its maintenance. Instead of working together to keep these cars on the road, everyone bashing everyone elses car for not being "stock" or not "correct" It gets old.

Lotus owners are notoriously cheap! I parted out a 1985 and even the rarest parts I was nitpicked to death over price by people who needed them. I finally boxed them up and will save them for my car. Many of them are in disrepair because it costs more to fix them than they are worth.

If the owners would value these cars like they should there is no reason a early S1 and S2 esprit should not be 50k plus, they are rare, exotic and amazing handling cars.

My 1985 Esprit is beautiful, its a keeper to me, It is worth probably 15k max. and has not appreciated since I have purchased it. My 308 is probably worth double for what I paid for it and my Merak, (bought cheap a few years back) is probably worth 4 times what I paid for it. But I dont plan to sell anything so it doesnt matter.

Until owners appreciate the esprit and encourage others to join the marque they will continue to be the low hanging fruit in the exotic world, in the meantime, I buy every one I can find.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/british/490040-lotus-esprit-12.html

Edited by rudolphwolven

From

PistonHeads

A thread started in 2014

Why is the Lotus Esprit not appreciating in value??

Thursday 22nd September 2016

quotequote all
This thread has become irrelevant. 

I decided to buy an Esprit and started looking. Can't find anything bellow 20K at the moment. Maybe in the U.S. But not anywhere in Europe. And I have also seen Esprits for around 100K give or take.

Maybe if somebody knows somebody who knows somebody who is selling. But online it seems the bargains are over! Maybe you could get very luck and find an early Stevens car for under 20K. But a Giugiaro? Forget it!

Not very long ago you could have them for sub-10K easily. Quite a bit sub-10K actually. Now you can't even find beat up ones. 

Normally if you can't find them beat up it is a sure sign of them growing in importance. Because either owners are investing money to fix them up before selling because they know they will be worth more, or the beat up ones are getting snapped away so fast by people who want to restore to sell for more that you can barely see the beat up ones up for sale.

Regardless, I think we can close this thread. The market seems to be finally waking up to the Esprit. Maybe this thread did it's job.

Monday 19th September 2016
quotequote all
Le TVR said:
You also have to recognise that the situation is totally different elsewhere in Europe. Countries where there is no previous culture of comedians making jokes likes " Lots
Of Trouble Usually Serious loads" of...... The trend on Autoscout has shown prices double in the last 12 months and more and more UK cars are being shipped abroad:

Exactly! As I said before, in mainland Europe the Esprit is very respected. It doesn't have the cheap aura it does in the UK. LHD Esprits are much more expensive than RHD ones for a reason.;)
Edited by rudolphwolven
  • Gold FFM

I've two - and I love them both.

Just a shame only one is drivable. These cars are simply epic and have been overlooked for years - the cheap days seem to be over

• Like 2

Only here once

Think we all have seen why the projects have pretty much long gone and now plenty of people restoring the cars,  Look at the blue esprit on ebay atm will probably lots of work but the bids are flying up,

The cheap days are long gone and the cars as seen in this thread will only get more and more expensive for better or worse as its a double edged sword imo.  

The post that Rudd put up pretty much sums it all up and that was last year,  The amount of G cars for sale from private sellers has dramatically gone down, and the G cars for sale by the traders just shows what prices people are willing to pay for these sharp looking cars. :)

A

• 3 weeks later...

Actually a bargain for such a beautifull competitor of Ferrarri etc.......

This is the  price almost for a new well equipped Vauxhall Insigna......

Edited by rudolphwolven
  • Like 1

Looks fantastic in the Pictures,  was this not the turbo that in car and classic needing light resto and paintwork a good few monts ago ?  would explain the timeline and lovely looking paint :ermm:

A

I had a very good look at that one on Sunday. It is lovely but there are a few very minor things that I would do to it if it were mine.

Dan - I think it is the one that you and I discussed 6 months ago that they were about to restore.  

• Like 1

The colour coded bumpers do look nice , but wish they had had gone with the satin black bumpers and wing mirrors due to the cars age :(  I this was that car Barrie,  seems like a nice profit will be made even with the work carried out, I know no price was listed in the car and classi as the owner new the car these days are not cheap, but given the work it needed, i think the buyers would of got a good deal and i can sort of guess what money it would of changed hands for.

A

16 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

The colour coded bumpers do look nice , but wish they had had gone with the satin black bumpers and wing mirrors due to the cars age :(  

The Lotus community dont really quite get it with regards to originality. On the one hand this kind of change does not negatively impact the looks of the car but in the higher-value marques any change to the original spec is considered to be a big negative. 

For example another issue is so many Esprits have had huge speakers cut into the door cards. People will say it doesnt matter, and looking at things logically it shouldnt, but in the world of classic cars logic doesnt apply. On other marques this would be a massive issue. You would be hard pressed to find a F 308 which has had its black bumpers sprayed red or massive speakers cut in.

On the other hand maybe its better if we dont get to that level of obsession about originality. Whether or not constantly rising values are beneficial or not has already been discussed at length here.

• Like 1

I dont know if you are paying top coin which this esprit is listed at , given prices atm  ,  i would want it to be as it left the factory as this would be the only reason why i would ever pay top money for one,  :)

• Like 2

A

There were a few cars prior to MY85 that came out of the factory with colour coded bumpers and mirrors - if the buyer requested it.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Brooke this was the one I was looking at before buying yours I have some pics somewhere. Restored by B&C. Knowing Jamie is on here he offered at a great price but I just couldn't decide If I liked the colour. 

It was definitely the one at Brands surprised it wasn't sold to be honest.