free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 53 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I believe there is something wrong with that Lhd car or it would have sold as my yellow v8 with 20k miles was up at 50k and didn't sell straight away but did sell somewhere close to that as I know the dealer and spoke to the buyer.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think prices will drop a lot more as we Brexit. It doesn't matter unless you have to sell. I have restored two car s now with labour and parts you are looking north of £50k, and that's if

After 16 years of ownership and 10 months on the market, I received the official word today that my '94 S4 has sold and is now with its new owner. Sold for: AUD$74,000 I bought the car in th

I have the same experience.....26 years of ownership and 52.000 km on the odo......with my '90 Esprit Turbo SE I have all the invoices since purchase in 1993; total cost of maintenance during all

Posted Images

23 hours ago, purso said:

wash your mouth out Alan!

Uhhhh not sure which way to take that Brooke! I know for definite that you paid £678,521.99 for your late V8 with 0.10 miles on the speedo mate...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

On 2017-6-1 at 23:10, swindon_alan said:

Understood, but I would not have thought that even a Final Edition low mileage V8 would fetch much over £60,000 in the UK?

Agreed Alan, but that one in Italy is not even a Final Edition, and quite a few bits are not original. Bonkers, especially if it sells at that price. 

Friend of mine has just moved his F430 on after 3 years and is pleased to have made £5k on it. He's replaced it with an AMG GTS and is about to set off for the South of France :respect:

• 2 weeks later...

£100,000 for a 34,000 mile Lotus Carlton. I let my perfect 8,000 mile left-hooker go for £32K two years ago.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C748674

In fact there's even one of unknown mileage in bits up for £30K.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C882170

10 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

£100,000 for a 34,000 mile Lotus Carlton. I let my perfect 8,000 mile left-hooker go for £32K two years ago.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C748674

In fact there's even one of unknown mileage in bits up for £30K.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C882170

I know its not much difference in real terms but the same car is advertised on eBay for £95, here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-LOTUS-CARLTON-3-6-TWIN-TURBO-34-000-MILES-ULTRA-RARE-EXAMPLE-PX-/272711762284?hash=item3f7ee3416c:g:s~AAAOSwQupXVKXi

This one appeared on the market last week, will be interesting to see what it goes for, here:

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/vauxhall-lotus-carlton

Edited by phumy
Updated

Uk Sports Cars has a Stevens carb n/a esprit up for 23k.  No mileage given, no engine rebuild, looks ok but nothing special.  Even 20pc off that feels strong to me but good luck to them. If it goes i might have to review my insurance valuation!

• 2 weeks later...

On auction.......still 1 day..........estimate..... € 39.500 - € 51.400

Lotus - Europa S2 - 1969........actual bid......€ 31.100  (below  reserve price}                  https://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/12496461-lotus-europa-s2-19695960c6ca43a14_1951c4c0-60ad-11e7-8e30-48578f7297561.jpg.b81e987419cccc2598b8d0472b915419.jpg5960c6f298a4c_c1d7ac73-fdfa-496b-91fa-de7f676527071.jpg.adcffe7749309d27c950c3094f58c629.jpg5960c7367076e_a02e2356-e12b-474c-ac8b-87ac4087fdf91.jpg.95c4aa5655e0a9a4f679ea79bf14cc3b.jpg

Biedingen zijn exclusief de 9% veilingkosten en (verzend)kosten.

€ 31.100 Bieder 5991
07-07-2017 17:49:57
€ 21.000 Bieder 4527
07-07-2017 15:44:10
 € 18.000 Bieder 8056
05-07-2017 18:23:07
€ 16.000 Bieder 8056
05-07-2017 18:23:01
 € 15.000 Bieder 7054
03-07-2017 17:47:55
€ 10.000  Bieder 7054
03-07-2017 17:47:44
€ 7.500 Bieder 5196
03-07-2017 14:43:19

Edited by rudolphwolven
On 24/06/2017 at 19:51, Neil Potter said:

Uk Sports Cars has a Stevens carb n/a esprit up for 23k.  No mileage given, no engine rebuild, looks ok but nothing special.  Even 20pc off that feels strong to me but good luck to them. If it goes i might have to review my insurance valuation!

That was Howard Bartrop's old car.  It's in amazing condition and probably worth 23k.

• 4 weeks later...

Weird that Stevens Esprit prices have not yet really started to climb the way the Giugaros have (except in Uganda, clearly!), so the range is as Mark says, all over the place!  17-20k sounds good to me unless it needs work.  I imagine that figure will be pretty different in a few years time as people can't get hold of G cars so easily. I sold my '88 turbo for a little less than that after having got the mechanics well sorted but the interior still needed work

• Gold FFM

Still well under valued in comparison to others of the period. We shall see.

i was chatting to someone yesterday who believes cars and property bubbles will burst...... can't see that myself in the next 3 years at least

• Like 2

Only here once

Also I read in this months Classic & Sportcar mag that a really nice white Stevens Esprit Turbo sold at auction recently for £13,500. 

54 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Still well under valued in comparison to others of the period. We shall see.

i was chatting to someone yesterday who believes cars and property bubbles will burst...... can't see that myself in the next 3 years at least

I agree.  With interest rates at near zero, money is cheap and the bubble will carry on.

• Like 1

I have no idea why prices are so cheap, the Stevens Esprit Turbo totally wastes the Ferrari 328 GTB and Ferrari 348 in acceleration, handling and drivability.  I've driven both Ferrari's on a track day and I couldn't wait to get back into my Esprit!

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, pete said:

all depends on interest rates

Well for housing thats true - also the taxation changes for landlords is having an impact on property coming for sale. We will have a shortage of private rentals in a few years imho.

now cars..... remember any gains on these are tax free - so unless interest rates move to 6% I cannot see a change in the market for collector/classic cars.

id rather have some cash tied up in a car - missus can't spend it and I can enjoy it

• Like 1

Only here once

41 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

id rather have some cash tied up in a car - missus can't spend it and I can enjoy it

More wise words Barry. 

I recon when we have mport duty on most things from Europe after Brexit, the inflation rate will increase rapidly and interest rates will have to go up.  And the Bubble will burst and so will the classic car market.  I remember 1991.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Inflation won't be going up any time soon with Brexit. It's another fear tactic being mooted by remoaners. 

Nothing and I mean nothing that was said in the remain camp has come true as yet...... life will be good  

Only here once

9 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

More wise words Barry. 

I recon when we have mport duty on most things from Europe after Brexit, the inflation rate will increase rapidly and interest rates will have to go up.  And the Bubble will burst and so will the classic car market.  I remember 1991.

Why will we have import duty? Why would the government impose duty and stoke inflation?

10 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

I have no idea why prices are so cheap, the Stevens Esprit Turbo totally wastes the Ferrari 328 GTB and Ferrari 348 in acceleration, handling and drivability.  I've driven both Ferrari's on a track day and I couldn't wait to get back into my Esprit!

Absolutely. I have a 328 and the Esprit has a much better chassis and is faster.

Dancing donkeys and porkers have always had pedigree and have always been seen as money and status items,  i.e the finer things in life, they have die hard fan and a massive cult following.  Lotus on the other hand has always been the underdog,  yes it is by far the better handling car but i think the think the fiberglass and kit car image never up until recently has always dogged the car in some folks minds imo.  

But if you look at the rise in price not only of the esprit but also the rest of the old brands such as the 501 elite,eclat and m100 they have come a long way regarding prices in a very short time.  Who would of thought G esprits would be changing hands for the sort of money they do now.  Yes you can still get bargains but a well restored car commands decent money these days.  

Also most of us have been able to purchase our cars when they had been much less expensive to purchase which is also an added bonus. 

Also i think the recent purchase of Lotus motor company could make a massive difference,  I only say this as my farther even commented on the subject saying that he feels classic lotus cars will go up,  I am not sure if he had read this somewhere or not, but for my farther to speak about cars is a rare occasion as he hates the things and wishes we would all go back to the horse and cart lol.  

I do see his logic though as hopefully if lotus is taken to the next level and with the new Evora recently it is a good sign,  Once the brand name starts getting out there expect the price of the classic lotus market to explode imo.  

• Like 2

A

Lotus cars deserve to be worth strong money ...A lot of people don't get them .Like some of the people I work with.....Watched the elite film .on the forum from the 70s .m50 ...Looked fab .But when you see a esprit its mind blowing on the road ....it deserves to be up thre with the greats muira .Contach .And of course it's Heratage..And so rare .There seems to be a shortage of Esprits for sale.....Mike

4 hours ago, Andyww said:

Why will we have import duty? Why would the government impose duty and stoke inflation?

Everything I read say as we will no longer part of the union there will be customs duty on goods at the border and European Countries will charge duty on our goods.  I really hope it doesn't happen.  It will cause a $hit storm.  I already pay import duty on parts I buy for my Mustang from the States, it's a real pain in the arse.

6 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

Everything I read say as we will no longer part of the union there will be customs duty on goods at the border and European Countries will charge duty on our goods.  I really hope it doesn't happen.  It will cause a $hit storm.  I already pay import duty on parts I buy for my Mustang from the States, it's a real pain in the arse.

Other EU countries might charge duty on our goods but only imports will affect inflation and the amount of duty charged is up to the UK government. They surely wont charge duty on items which affect inflation rates such as food. Although they might (and should) charge import duty up to the WTO limit (10%) on for example German cars unless the EU allows free trade on our exports. That would also be a useful extra source of tax revenue.

Car parts attract a mandatory EU rate of 10% import tax when imported from outside the EU. Once we leave all things being well, this could disappear as part of a UK-US trade agreement. 

• Like 1