free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 54 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rizla603104

Prices Soaring

Even the modified ones are getting snapped up now,  this one was up for 20k a few weeks back,  which i think given the work involved in the audi v8 conversion reflects the price.  Still i was suprized it went that quickly sold in under 2 weeks !

8779940.jpg.469dc9ef35bb66b2ae6e6065f15886b2.jpg

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi  all.Dan I saw the car above .As you said a lot of work gone in to it .Pm .the guy that owned it to wish him luck .Nice guy .Slowly getting there with my car .Rover engined ......Hopefully engine and box going back in over the weekend .Mike

• Like 2

Good luck this weekend Mike,   Hope to see a running video very soon  ,  are you still sticking with the modern lotus wheels on your black turbo or thinking about a set of the wheels in the pic above.  I think they would look stunning on your black turbo :)

A

Thanks Dan .its been a long time .But hopefully getting there .i will stick with the wheels .But ad some silver pin stripes .like those fitted to the HC ....cars .Cheers Mike

17 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Even the modified ones are getting snapped up now,  this one was up for 20k a few weeks back,  which i think given the work involved in the audi v8 conversion reflects the price.  Still i was suprized it went that quickly sold in under 2 weeks !

That probably indicates these cars are some way off being viewed in the same way as Ferraris as a Ferrari with an alternative engine, and to a lesser extent, aftermarket wheels, would be hard to sell. But I would bet thats a great conversion though and a nice car.

Sorry for the moan but I noticed the guys over on the Esprit Facebook page are doing their best to keep values down by perpetuating the negative image with a thread of pictures of Esprits that have broken down, and "that" LOTUS acronym "Lots Of..." which should go unmentioned on a Lotus enthusiast forum! 

Thats something you would never seen on a Ferrari forum, or any other marque for that matter. I suppose it keeps insurance costs down...

• Like 2

Other brands as you say Andy do not talk their marques down,  Engine conversions on other marques is also a no go area,  I know porsche fan boys on forums will hardly ever give good comments on engine conversion no matter how good the transplants.  Regarding dancing donkeys, why would anyone even consider an engine transplant because the cars always had great engines and the main factor been they have always been very expensive cars and the damage to resale value you by fitting one you would have to be out of your mind to do it.  plus the engines have always sounded great anyway :)

The lotus is like any other car, if you maintain it well, it will be reliable, but like anything mechanical something always will wear and break at some point.  I feel that a lot of the saying " lots of trouble usually serious "  stems more from the beginnings of folks been jealous or most of the time folks not knowing the brand,  a lot of people who normally use this phrase have never even owned a lotus that is the part i cannot understand.

Esprits used to cheap that is what got me on the ladder, the engine in silver car was ok, but i chose to convert it to the Audi v8 . It is cheaper to repair, well actually its cheaper to just throw another used audi v8 engine in at 300 quid than repair the engine if it ever gets damaged lol.  It sounds awesome, has plenty of power and uses a six speed box,  it has never let me down and the suspesion,wheel and tyre set up has also proved itself in the snow as a very good set up.  

From country roads to long motorway journeys it had been fantastic. That is why i converted it, I have another V8 mid build and for my sins against the lotus brand i will be using a lotus 2.0 in another car but this will probably have a little bit of audi bolted on in the way of a six speed box. :)

Now days it does not matter how people bash the lotus reliabilty regarding the old cars,  They are now very much desired by many and are mainly getting ground up restorations, gone are the days when these cars could be purchased on the cheap and ended up getting sold on to new owners every few months due to ongoing mechanical faults that would never get sorted from one seller to the next. 

I purchased all my three esprits altogether costing  less than three and a half grand in total Thankfully .  The two project cars though would of scared off even the  bravest of esprit lovers.  The 2 project cars will be work in progress for a long time, but just knowing that i own them puts a smile on face and i love them dearly no matter what state they are in.

Everything from sourcing used parts to fabricating i really enjoy on these cars and that is what it is all about to me,  Would i do it in todays market ? No only because i would not pay for what project cars cost these days, are the cars worth it, yes, but i am still stuck in the good old days regarding prices when you could pick up a running car for 2k :)

• Like 2

A

Great post! What you have hit on there is a downside of values shooting up. 

Its great being able to "muck about" with a car when you have the ability to do it properly and end up with a car which is better than it started. values going up tends to rule this out unfortunately.

On the subject of reliability, I commented on that thread that usually (not always) a breakdown is a reflection of poor maintenance, although I was ridiculed by some on there. But surely this is the case, especially on the G cars. Of course if the Lumenition stops working or alternator or fuel pump or some other item, thats completely unpredicable. But there are very few "failure to proceed" items such as these on a G-car. Another type of failure is when a problem indication is ignored. A classic case is boost gauge going round the clock. If not investigated and fixed, this can get very expensive! 

• Like 2

God you lot can be horrible...........it's almost as if you are all secret Porsche owners

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

God you lot can be horrible...........it's almost as if you know l am a secret Porsche owner

Fixed for you mate 

• Haha 2

That's what I was getting at in the gt4 exige thread, I was wow'd the first time I saw a Porsche, but then every subsequent one has been meh. 

I'm debating if I want to swap my SE for an S2 or 2.2. I should be able to manage that quite easily now but I'm aware in a few years the G cars will have risen more quickly and I might not be able to do it. Decisions decisions !

34 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Barry has slowly been collecting them according to his wallchart. That's what the extra barn conversion is for...

598ca9613bac2_BarryPorsche.jpg.fd39463347a902da33bf27c4399cfeb3.jpg

? what utterly horrible rubbish..... please delete this type of hideous imagery 

23 minutes ago, franjipane said:

That's what I was getting at in the gt4 exige thread, I was wow'd the first time I saw a Porsche, but then every subsequent one has been meh. 

I'm debating if I want to swap my SE for an S2 or 2.2. I should be able to manage that quite easily now but I'm aware in a few years the G cars will have risen more quickly and I might not be able to do it. Decisions decisions !

One of each works best. 

Just avoid the V8 - it has a habit of turning you into a bitter old man :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Only here once

63B9FBCD-9190-4908-91E5-ADF49B940EAB-4037-000003F91961312B.jpeg.32a41a1748b58d4b960c2a46a67912a1.jpeg

followed one of these hideous early Porsche Caymens tonight on the way back from swimming.

Hilter really does have an awful lot to answer for......

• Haha 1

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Just avoid the V8 - it has a habit of turning you into a bitter old man :lol:

Yep - I can vouch for that (you forgot the twisted bit) :cry:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, franjipane said:

@Escape will have your SE off you. He's serial with them...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

10 hours ago, franjipane said:

Do it now !   The G cars are not going to get much cheaper even if the bubble does burst,  As i think the market will keep prices fairly high on certain models of car due to demand.  And lets face it as the classic lotus prices are much lower than other brands means they are within reach of normal folks budgets not only the well off.  Which means the sellers potential market will be much bigger than the porkers and dancing donkeys etc even if the bubble did actually pop imo. 

Also most of the G cars around today that have been restored from the ground up obviously have had plenty of coin spent on them either by hard graft by the owners still as we all know costing lots of money and cut knuckles or owners who are lucky enough to have someone else do the graft but costing even more. 

Years ago this not happening as the G esprit although loved by many was worth hardly anything when they needed restoration and even the road worthy ones did not fetch much, Which is why it is very understandble why owners did not want to splash the cash on the cars, as you could by a very decent one for much less than it would of cost you to restore.  Man maths did not even work as new parts prices cost a fortune. 

So if you look at what is out there today i would say most owners of the G esprits would be very reluctant to sell at a lowered price if the bubble burst as most cars have had plenty of money and time spent on them.  I know sometimes owners hands can be forced to sell regarding falling on hard times, medical issues etc which can happen to any of us,  But i strongly feel that owners will be a hell of a lot more reluctant to let the cars go for little money money as they did in the past.  

My view is they are not going to get any cheaper even if the poo does really hit the fan bubble wise imo. :)

• Like 1

A

12 hours ago, franjipane said:

You could always get an S2 and drop a 911 engine and box in. Might have to turn them 180 degrees, but it could work.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

12 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Aren't those all just the same car..?

Everyone knows there's a big scene for tuning beetles, so they come in all shapes and sizes*

* Actually always the same size, just a bit flatter/wider and more aero :P

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.