free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 56 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think prices will drop a lot more as we Brexit. It doesn't matter unless you have to sell. I have restored two car s now with labour and parts you are looking north of £50k, and that's if

After 16 years of ownership and 10 months on the market, I received the official word today that my '94 S4 has sold and is now with its new owner. Sold for: AUD$74,000 I bought the car in th

I have the same experience.....26 years of ownership and 52.000 km on the odo......with my '90 Esprit Turbo SE I have all the invoices since purchase in 1993; total cost of maintenance during all

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

It is indeed pretty - but it failed to sell. Much like many of the lots....

there was a bentley which made £1800 - thank god I never went to that sale.....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Only here once

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just looking at selling/valuation prices, as it coincided with my current 2 year Agreed Valuation with my insurers. It came to an end last week. 

It was valued at £25,000.

its a 1995 S4S with 46,000 miles. This year I sent the obligatory photos with the valuation form duly filled in, but now valued at £40,000. I thought they might contest it, but they accepted it. An indication of market values?

Any other owners with AV and have increased it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've decided not to go with AV this year as prices are shooting up so fast. I was told by the broker that if I get a valuation of X today, but in 6 months time it is 2X unless I have changed the AV to 2X I'll only get X, whereas for market value I'd get 2X. Once prices settle down I'll switch back to AV.

• Like 1

Great to hear there was no challenge by your insurance company for your S4s AV. It looks to be a beauty and I would agree on the figure you suggest at £40k with the mileage it has.

Stunning car......but 3 is just greedy!B-)

799EB658-C3AC-4D2C-9C12-B98C622C760F.png

14 hours ago, Royal said:

This year I sent the obligatory photos with the valuation form duly filled in, but now valued at £40,000. I thought they might contest it, but they accepted it. An indication of market values?

No, just proof that there is no logic to this classic car nuclear arms race bullshit, just bravado and greed. Human nature and capitalism at its finest.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

16 hours ago, Royal said:

Just looking at selling/valuation prices, as it coincided with my current 2 year Agreed Valuation with my insurers. It came to an end last week. 

It was valued at £25,000.

its a 1995 S4S with 46,000 miles. This year I sent the obligatory photos with the valuation form duly filled in, but now valued at £40,000. I thought they might contest it, but they accepted it. An indication of market values?

Any other owners with AV and have increased it?

Yes.

Every year, despite the 2-year time it covers. But it's a tricky thing to value when there are so few of them around, and thus there may not be any for sale to benchmark against.

Margate Exotics.

I got the AV purely to cover the cost of a replacement as I have no intention of selling. 

But I agree it's difficult to pin a figure down for the reasons stated.

All we can do is cover an average value  I guess.

12 minutes ago, Royal said:

I got the AV purely to cover the cost of a replacement as I have no intention of selling. 

But I agree it's difficult to pin a figure down for the reasons stated.

All we can do is cover an average value  I guess.

I look at what the car cost me, what I've paid in upgrades (ouch!), and try to arrive at a figure of what I would have to pay to replace it like-for-like. This is difficult, but whilst I understand I will never recoup normal maintenance costs, I don't want to feel like I'm left out of pocket should the worst happen.

One insurance broker turned my AV figure down, saying that after doing their research, their underwriters didn't agree with it. This was at a time when there were no S4s cars for sale anywhere in the UK, which was a bit puzzling. I didn't argue, just moved to a different insurer who had no issue with the estimate at all.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

@Chillidoggy I carried out a similar exercise for mine but not a detailed one. That would be painful. 

And like yourself, I only want to cover my major outlay. I wouldn't be out of pocket if as you say, the worst happened, but it's nice to know the money would be there for a replacement.

I have a 1992 Series 3 Daimler Double Six insured with the same company, and that's also on an AV. The 2 years expires this December and that's nearly doubled in value in that time. Apparently they are drawing a lot of interest in the market now, like the Esprit.

I'm with ClassicLine Insurance and they've been very good for the last few years, if that's the right way to describe insurers!

• Like 1

I also use Classicline Martin for my red ‘82 Turbo.......but ended up with AIB for the S4s. Price was better when it came to renewal.....but I must admit I like the people at Classicline...they’re very friendly. Hopefully they will be just as helpful and friendly if it ever came to a claim - but let’s not go there. Got an agreed value on both. Love your S4s.....it looks a beauty! B-)

Hi Stephen. As we know, it's a postcode lottery. They didn't increase mine this year, just the greedy government taking as usual.

Yours looks a stunner, they especially suit yellow. Must be a wrench having to let it go. 

Whilst it's nice to know the values are moving up, I think if they went to silly highs  we might be paying ridiculous prices for spares,  like some other marques.

Looking at all the investment scenarios, classic cars are way out in front with a 28% rise this year.

• Like 1

Thanks Martin - yeah it’s a bit of a mindbender letting mine go but I’m lucky enough to have found a buyer up in Scotland so will more than likely see it again..... ...and anyway I have my sights firmly set on an Exige Sport 380 now, so just following the route that I always feel (when it comes to cars anyway) is predetermined by fate.:)

Have loved owning the S4s and know I’ll likely look back and think I should have kept it, especially when it’s more than likely only going to increase in value and will miss the reaction it creates which is always positive.......but I’m hoping an Exige will keep me happily distracted for a while.:thumbup:

And I’m right with you regarding Classic Car values moving forward, regardless of where interest rates go etc the desire & interest in classic/cherished cars should always prove strong enough to keep the market boyant.

103590A3-1067-4A92-8D46-07644523D4E9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Doubt much is selling at the moment.  No one wants a sports car approaching winter.  Things will pick up again in Spring.

I recon for some classic cars, prices aren't as strong as they were. One of my mate's just sold his 911 3.2 Carrera he's owned for 15 years.  It was valued at £40k and sold last month at Silverstone Auctions for £29k.  He still doubled his money on it over the time, but not what he was expecting.

I was at a dealer's today with a mate who bought a nice Cayman S :sofa:

Anyway...was discussing the classic bubble and I was asking if he had any sense of it getting close to bursting.  He said he's seen signs but only with some marques....notably Ferrari.  He took 5 to auction last month and none sold.  No-one was bidding.  Auction house said their worst day ever.  He had a 550 maranello up expecting £100 - £120k.  Couldn't get a bid on it 'til the start came down to £10k so he knew nothing was going to go.....

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

On 30/11/2017 at 23:29, MPx said:

Anyway...was discussing the classic bubble and I was asking if he had any sense of it getting close to bursting.  He said he's seen signs but only with some marques....notably Ferrari.  He took 5 to auction last month and none sold.  No-one was bidding.  Auction house said their worst day ever.  He had a 550 maranello up expecting £100 - £120k.  Couldn't get a bid on it 'til the start came down to £10k so he knew nothing was going to go.....

A couple of Ferrari 308 GTB's went through auction recently, no reserve and sold for £40k.  Much lower than expected.  Similar examples were fetching up for £175k a few years ago. 

And a mate of mine has had two 308 GTS's for sale for 8 months, he managed to sell one but can't sell the other.  He's having to lower the price again.

I don't understand why this car is struggling to sell.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lotus-esprit-/282758915570?

it first went on ebay with a not unreasonable buy-it-now of £14,500 with the bidding starting at £11,000.  No one bid.  It went back on with no buy-it-now again starting at £11,000 and got to £11,700.  Now back on with a buy-it-now under £12,700.  Some could get a bargain or is there something wrong with it?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE