free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 63 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think prices will drop a lot more as we Brexit. It doesn't matter unless you have to sell. I have restored two car s now with labour and parts you are looking north of £50k, and that's if

After 16 years of ownership and 10 months on the market, I received the official word today that my '94 S4 has sold and is now with its new owner. Sold for: AUD$74,000 I bought the car in th

I have the same experience.....26 years of ownership and 52.000 km on the odo......with my '90 Esprit Turbo SE I have all the invoices since purchase in 1993; total cost of maintenance during all

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Take it easy. My comment was in no way meant to be derogatory, I've met him and he's as approachable down to earth as he comes across on screen. Him and Leno are only doing what many of us would do given the moolah. Hence the comment; must be nice.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Today's Times reports that classic cars lead the field for collectable returns: 

Discard the Jane Austen first editions and invest in an early Jaguar (or Lotus :)) instead. Antiquarian books have generated the worst financial return over more than a century and classic cars the best, an analysis of the collectibles market suggests. Investors in rare books would have made seven times their money in real terms since 1900, according to a study by the London Business School and Credit Suisse. The equivalent from classic cars was a 242-fold return. Premier Cru Bordeaux generated a 65-fold return, while investors made 30 times their money from jewellery, after adjusting for inflation, and 20 times from postage stamps. The HAGI Top index, which reflects the prices of 50 models from 19 marques and comprises a notional 21,000 actual cars, has a “market capitalisation” of £13 billion, or £619,000 per car. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I second that, and add that I like the mix he makes between on one side, taking a car out of his garage, speaking about it, driving it around, and on the other side, driving a nice car somewhere in the World, like going in a testarossa to South of France, with two foldable bicycles, return home with an outboard motor and some champagne, all done in not exactly good weather ;)

Well done sir!

Kind regads,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

From my observations, asking prices for Esprits are generally descending clearly since approx. Oct. 2017 / end 2017, after  a couple of years of slight, however clear increases.

It is the general trend for most popular Classics of all Brands as far as I can observe for the moment...........

Edited by rudolphwolven
3 minutes ago, rudolphwolven said:

From my observations, asking prices for Esprits are generally descending clearly since approx. Oct. 2017 / end 2017, after  a couple of years of slight, however clear increases.

It is the general trend for most popular Classics of all Brands as far as I can observe for the moment...........

Yeah - it’s called Winter......classic car buying is seasonal. Check back in the Summer :yes:

• Like 1

Agreed Stephen,   Summer prices rise raise quite a bit for decent road going cars as folks want to jump straight in and head for the ope road, and in the winter prices for projects rise a little due to folks wanting a winter project to restore in the man cave so they tend to get a little more intrest when they come on the market :)

• Thanks 1

A

• 4 weeks later...

Heresy perhaps but are S1 prices actually falling?

One car in the classifieds has been for sale for a while, looks lovely, fully restored but was originally on for £100k, now asking £79k.

Was £100k always dreamland? I thought the best S1s were fetching that. 

10 hours ago, The Pits said:

Heresy perhaps but are S1 prices actually falling?

One car in the classifieds has been for sale for a while, looks lovely, fully restored but was originally on for £100k, now asking £79k.

Was £100k always dreamland? I thought the best S1s were fetching that. 

Now I am biased but I think if you have the right S1 then prices are still strong.

The one I think you’re referring to is immaculate but not as original - not sure if it was originally Monaco white but it definitely wasn’t originally tartan and orange as Lotus had stopped offering that trim by 1978. Collectors who will spend big money on cars always want authenticity and originality and although this S1 looks fantastic, it isn’t ‘as it left the factory’. 

And if the dealer gets it, c£80K is still strong money, considering good S1s where changing hands for less than half that a few years ago.