free hit
counters
Prices Soaring - Page 66 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally think prices will drop a lot more as we Brexit. It doesn't matter unless you have to sell. I have restored two car s now with labour and parts you are looking north of £50k, and that's if

After 16 years of ownership and 10 months on the market, I received the official word today that my '94 S4 has sold and is now with its new owner. Sold for: AUD$74,000 I bought the car in th

I have the same experience.....26 years of ownership and 52.000 km on the odo......with my '90 Esprit Turbo SE I have all the invoices since purchase in 1993; total cost of maintenance during all

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

Keeping a keen eye on this S1.  As Wayne once said - Would give my right eye ball for it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Esprit-S1/202341220149?hash=item2f1c79ff35:g:lr0AAOSwrWVbIiH6

s-l1600.jpg

It will be interesting to see how high this gets. I'm guessing at between £30k and £35k but I'm sure that won't meet Mark's reserve. He said he was advertising it to generate some interest in it. I definitely think prices have come down over the last year.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• Gold FFM

Market has cooled slightly. There’s also more choice car wise out there.

not so long ago you would only see 2-3 on eBay at any one time.  Now there’s 20-30 (29 today excluding the 6 fake adverts)

At any one time there’s probably a couple of dozen knobs looking at cars - with maybe 2 or 3 who actually have the money to buy one

• Like 1

Only here once

Murphys law Barry, you should know that by now lol. 

That said your motor is a nice colour and has had plenty of graft put into it, So I am sure it will find a good home soon. 

The only one I have seen price wise recently that has startled me other than the eBay con artist advertisements is a silvers stevens car for just over 8k and can' see why it has not been snapped up yet ! But that may be a con also unless it' a complete dog lol. 

A

I think the buying public have noticed that dealers are buying cheap and selling very very high........and its pushing peoples expectation of what they'll get for their up .........

let face it 5~10 years ago an old elan was about £5k the +2 about £1500.......now basket cases start at £5k.....and go to £80k

the whole classic car market is fairly bonkers to be honest......I mean just look at old 911's......

I had an urge a while back (4/5 years) for a 914.....(I know....Im strange).......£4k for a decent 1.7 runner........now theyre late teens pushin.......

I had the chance of buying a genuine Lotus Cortina Mk2 Series 1 this was 7 years ago....£4500.....I decided not to as it had been rigged out to look rally style.........what a frikkin idiot I was

in conclusion...prices are all over the shop and if there is someone that wants it enough and has the funds then good luck to them

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

I suspect that the eBay price isn’t so much an indication of market value, so much as market interest.  I don’t think one can take from this that S1’s are worth 24k.  It was low balled in the hope of a bargain. I suspect that the 40-60k level is still realistic, it’s just that it’s a very very small pool of potential buyers, who buy rarely.

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

6 hours ago, Ginger pig said:

Car didn’t even reach £24k!

More than a little surprised at that!

maybe a litmus test on where prices are at the moment?????

Absolutely not. Don't think serious buyers of this type of car will be looking to buy on an eBay auction

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I generally go of eBay as the what folks are willing to pay to be honest. 

Most folks do not go to dealers as they know the premium, but with said premium normally comes a warranty and well kept cars or restored. 

Not saying that all eBay cars are of poor quality but they are normally kept cars that tend to end up on the auction site. 

Also folks trying to actually sell them as dealers cars can sit in the showroom with a high price tag on them waiting for that one person shooter is prepared to pay that asking price.

The high prices we tend to see are full nut and bolt rebuilds to a high standard imo. 

Happy for the values to remain sensible.!

A

I think @Suddabym and @pete are correct. eBay is not the place to sell high end cars, at least not in the UK.

Cars at the high end of the market tend to sell better on my market focussed sites. Mark at Stocks was merely trying to create interest in this yellow S1. Which being not totally original is in the mid-range price-wise.

No doubt classic car prices have slackened off a bit this year, but like any investment, the rewards are in the longer term. And with cars, the ownership is usually in the long term too. Luckily.

I’m with that guy ^

I spent 40k in Mar 17 on an S2, and am spending more than that again turbo charging it (figuratively).  Kinda wish I’d waited a year now. 

Bawbags.

Sudders and Dany

Figuratively. Abu Dhabi. 43 in the shade today, and it’s not even lung burning summer yet. 

Sudders and Dany

• 3 weeks later...

This mint X180 Turbo at Brooklands Historic went for £27k!  Nice to see them being more appreciated.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2018-07-07/cars/ref-2-1989-lotus-esprit-turbo/

1989-lotus-esprit-turbo-1.jpg?anchor=cen

Strangely though this S3 went for only £9k.  Someone got a bargain.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2018-07-07/cars/ref-191-1984-lotus-esprit-series-3/

1984-lotus-esprit-series-3-1.jpg?anchor=