free hit
counters
In case you're thinking of building your own garage. - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

In case you're thinking of building your own garage.

Matt-watts

Hi Matt,

Option 1 would mean that the ridge height would slope from one end ot other, in my personal opinion, not my choice as it may look odd or to others a mistake. The easiest way to achieve this would be the keep your truss layout as it is and then extend the top rafters with the same section size and attach to side of each truss and continue to ridge.

Option 2 would mean that the ridge height would remain the same.

Whilst Marley may say that Granular Mendip tiles have to be laid to a minimum pitch of 25 compared with smooth Mendips at 15 degrees, the reason for this is speed of run off on rainwater on the surface. The Granular will be a lot slower. Saying that though, using a good roofing membrame will mean that you will be able to lay the roof at a lower pitch than 25 degrees.

Malcom has mentioned a metal sheet with 80mm foam, this is called a composite panel. This idea had me thinking of other composites that you may be able to use or other built-up metal roofs. You have to hear me out on this before dismissing the idea.

Kingspan Building Products make a composite roof panel tile look-a-like, see link here

http://www.kingspanpanels.co.uk/Products/Roofs/Roof-Tile

It can be a laid to a 12 degree pitch and in one panel length. Even from a slight distanst, it looks like a tiles roof.

Roof-RT-Anthracite-2011_L-H.jpg?width=14  RT-image.jpg?width=171&height=204

Now there are also other manufacturers who make a single skin tiled effect sheet. This would mean that you would have to insulate using a board or built-up system (a liner panel, spacer system, quilt insulation).

http://www.decra.co.uk/Products.aspx

These can be laid to a 10 degree pitch.

Regards,

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Along the line of Dave's thought, you could always work with 25deg pitch on the front and end sections so the aspect from the front looks completely normal, then allow the trusses on the back section to change angle to bring the rear ridge line forward to meet the front ridge line. So starting at 25deg at the south end and shallowing out as you approach the north end.

I am not sure what the roof pitch change would be along the back, and it is a bit unorthodox, but it might work.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Found a pic of the Z purlins before the roof sheet was fitted. It was Kingspan we used but went for the more industrial look!!! Very easy to fit and you know you wont get any leaks as its single lengths.

I seem to remember they had a good selection of colours and with the tile pattern Dave has shown you might get pretty close. A lot less agro and time saved.

Single skin will dent if walked on but the composite you could play a football match on its so strong.

The grey door on the left is a industrial 2 steel skins and foam core multi point lock already in its own frame. Not the nicest look but wont rot, need painting and will be a bugger to get through without a key.

post-1261-0-54900600-1381908715.jpg

Edited by mdw

Hi Malcom,

Kingspan composite panels are usually the profile you have used, the tile affect is a relatively new product.

I notice that there are no anti-sag bars in your purlins? Saying that, they are spaced very close together, so probably not need them. The Kingspan panel will span over 2M between supports, which is another reason to consider this idea because supports underneath will be less.

Simon,

That's a good idea too, having the front the same roof pitch and roof slope, giving the same ridge height but then working the rear slope back to varying roof pitches. My only concern is that this may be too shallow and drastic. Splitting the roof slope in half will ease the amount the roof pitch has to go down to.

Regards,

David Walters

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

how has this roof gone

Slow its all gone slow

I started to get a bad back when moving arround and laying, blocks and bricks so I got my bricklayer lad up to help me, then there was a delay with the roof trusses.

The pictures below show my progress

The back wall

20131124_100740_zps1dfa3c87.jpg

All brick and block work finished, beams in place and roof plate filled

20131202_075747_zps192a5835.jpg

20131202_081159_zps94863076.jpg

1st truss in place

20131214_103924_zps56dd4ff6.jpg

All main trusses in

20131215_080325_zps549334d0.jpg

Rafter trusses fitted

20131224_085640_zps02f9272e.jpg20131224_085655_zps2bdb78d8.jpg

Hip boards on and hip rafter being fitted

I would like to have most of the roof finished over Christmas

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather for me

Merry Christmas

Matt

20131224_085623_zps2d60de72.jpg

• Like 1

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

It will be worth it when it's finished, I've told my mrs that our next house move will involve shopping for a garage with house rather than a house with a garage that odd job built which rains for an hour in side after the rain has stopped out side ha ha, good luck with the rest of your build.

Matt, is there nothing you can't do, that's gonna be excellent when it's finished! :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

please update current progress, is the roof on yet ?

I have just started on kitchen extension plus a large detached garage. 2 weeks in and concrete foundations going in today.

Will post a few pics soon.

construction and property consultants : My company

• 1 month later...

Well I finished the garage and have been to busy messing around in it to post anything up. Oops

I seem to be under budget which went down well with the wife, the total cost was £9,850

20140221_080803_zpsdc036421.jpg

20140221_080837_zpsbd9d0baa.jpg

20140309_074321_zps855f9bf5.jpg

20140309_074253_zps2dde4164.jpg

20140303_081703_zps3227ce5d.jpg

The building inspector has passed it, I now have just the block pavers to put down and a bit of tidying up and fit a log burner (jobs I will put off for as long as I can...)

To be honest im just itching to get working on my Elans, I found building work a little boring .......and all just a means to an end.

I hope this post may help anyone who is thinking of doing something similar

It is wonderful having so much space ...at last !

Matt

Terrific work Matt, looks great :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The Elan+2, Europa and Esprit are on the road. The Excel is jakes my 11 year old sons, The two little Elans are a work in progress, The little sprint I have rebuilt the chassis engine and gearbox and is at the body work stage most of the other work on it is done. The S3 Elan I'm just doing odds and ends on and trying not to get stuck into it until I have finished the 1st Elan.  I never intended to buy two but they both came up at the same time and I'm a sucker for a poor little basket case Lotus....

Matt

Looks fantastic!! I'm starting a much smaller project on a single car garage which is half attached to the side of our house, the roof gave in recently with the weather, fortunately I had already moved the esprit to a friends garage. The garage was too short, the outer wall has caught damp and the shoddy concrete floor has cracked and wasn't laid properly so water runs in the garage door.

I'm going a meter longer on the front and the back as currently it only just fits the car in. I've planned out the ground work, need to check the footings and decide weather to over lay the current concrete or remove it all and start again.

I've tried getting trades people round but they all want the earn £1000 a week per person when you look at the labour element and put there prices in to context. I'm going to see how I get on with the heavy work with a few friends helping then get the driveway guys back fir a re quote when I've part prepared the floor for the concrete.

It's driving me mad that my car is 30 mile away when I want to be getting it ready for the brooklands trip in April, but I'm also sick of condensation, car covers, spending 20 mins getting the car out and 20 mins putting back in, can't wait to just drive in and be able to clean it off under cover and simply close the garage door

not easy to overlay concrete floors that are in good condition and one that is cracked is will only lead to problems later

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I belive it's best to smash it all out and start fresh, I've recruited a neighbour who can bring a road breaker home from work for the weekend (he looks more capable of using it than me) and my nephew works in a team who lay concrete floors on an industrial level so counting on people helping when I get going. I'm in no doubt that when it comes to the day pulling these favours in might be difficult but I'm hoping it will work out.

I've only considered over laying it when thinking we will likely move in the next 4-5 years, I got quoted £5500 for a builder to do the lot but can't see any value on the house from it thus it would effected be £1000 a year rent to keep the car dry.

Just having a catch up on this. Great collection - each and ever Lotus now having it's own personal space. Proper job' Matt. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Can I ask where you can get hold of large sized lotus prints?

Garage looks great by the way :)

Well I finished the garage and have been to busy messing around in it to post anything up. Oops

20140309_074321_zps855f9bf5.jpg

20140309_074253_zps2dde4164.jpg

Matt

Edited by ChrisG

• 3 weeks later...

So here's where I am now (apologies for poor image).

In truth when it is finished only half will be garage, the rest will be a home office an a kids playroom (for future change to home cinema room)

post-6436-0-74094200-1397296608.jpg

construction and property consultants : My company

Trouble with garages and workshops is that the contents always seems to expand to exceed the capacity....and this applies no matter how big they seem when empty!! The contents outgrew the tent... so we made the lean-to....!

post-568-0-48889300-1397305815.jpg

post-568-0-88299000-1397305856.jpg

post-568-0-43688600-1397305908.jpg

post-568-0-43252700-1397305952.jpg

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Mumm's the word, old chap...a mix of brut and some pink for the ladies.....(!) By then all the Taittinger Blanc de Blancs had been drunk....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein