free hit
counters
The Food Thread - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Moxie

The Food Thread

Being a blithering idiot/hammer man when it comes to cars compared with most of you, I tend to contribute more to the non-technical TLF threads, which I find funnier than anything on Facebook--and since there's an "Alcohol Thread," I thought we needed a Food Thread. Ya know, the good stuff...Marmite, SPAM, deep-fried pork rinds, Don Pepe's spicy prawns (hi, Kimbers), etc.. And really, where better to start than with bacon...and I don't mean that ham-like, soggy, circular stuff some of you call bacon--I mean what Americans call bacon and which will induce clogged arteries and colon cancer in 2 seconds flat. The stuff that's saltier and smokier than an S1 running over-rich while licking it's tailpipe with a salt-lick taped to it and is more addictive than crack...and why it's the only meat exception for my otherwise vegetarian son. So, finally, scientific validation: Math Proves Bacon is a Miracle Food

2111FF_foodnetwork_oD2DC87.jpg

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ahhhh one of my favourite subjects!

Now whilst I enjoy Bacon as much as the next man my one true weakness will also kill me as quickly as bacon. Yes I'm talking red meat cooked the way it's meant to be....Blue (for the better cuts) or rare for the ones that need a little more cooking to get rid of that fat.

Now, when I say "red meat" I do include Lamb (cooked rare), Duck Breast (Cooked rare) or Venison (cooked rare).

My other weakness is shellfish. I love (as does everyone who has them Don Pepe's Special King Prawns (What Matt calls Pepe's Spicy Prawns) and do a version myself with them cooked in Garlic, Chilli and Ginger....oh and lots of Butter (add Lemon to taste). Incidently I was eating them last night with a nice Blue Fillet and a bottle of vintage Rioja! Yummy!

Lastly, here's a pic of the all new 12oz Fillet at Middletons Steak House in Norwich.....I'm pretty sure it was bigger than 12oz and mixing 2 of my loves together, Scallops and Belly Pork!

Norwich-20131007-00448_zps5eaaadd6.jpg

Broadland-20130906-00382_zpsfd6d1fa3.jpg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I, on the other hand, am vegetarian. So I don't really have the energy to carry on typing ...... :D

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

For those who haven't experienced Don Pepe's Special King Prawns and getting pissed while eating them with Kimbers, I'm almost tempted to give it it's own thread.

Don Pepe

26 St Benedicts St, Norwich, Norfolk NR2 4AQ, United Kingdom

http://goo.gl/maps/ac18u

Edited by Moxie

Kimbers, there's something wrong with that first plate - an unhealthy nasty redish round thing.

TOMATO

KILL IT!!!   KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Tomatoes are lush, what's wrong with you?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Ah but even those of us that have talent in the garage must by all means have it in the kitchen.

Funny about this thread. Was in the midst of making a chipotle garlic shrimp during a conversation with Art aka Shark Sandwich and I think he thought I never cooked. Actually most of my friends think I never cook. Which is true. Never home enough. However when I am I do cook.

post-4361-0-66259800-1382033932.jpg

Edited by cjtpb13

That looks good :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

I submit there is a heavy pig farmers (and meat processing concerns, like Armour, etc)  lobbying group in force, ever since  "eating healthy" came into vogue (exposing the sins of salty pork fat clogging your veins and thus driving down the demand) Why else are we being hammered these days with a barrage of other ways to eat bacon like "bacon ice cream" , "bacon doughnuts", "the baconator burger", "bacon milkshake", etc.  Don't let the aliens brainwash you people !!!  It's all "soylent green"  !!!!   

:secret:

:huh:

baconator_t3.jpg

Evora NA

Along those lines, my favorite food review of all time: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/on-ingesting-kfcs-new-product-the-double-down/?_r=0

For those not getting the bit about "...consumed on a seat on Broadway just north of Greeley Square, as geek paparazzi lurked anonymously in the bushes to watch and document the tasting," Sam Sifton's good reviews were so popular that when he announces he would be reviewing this revolting "food," fans coordinated and staked out every KFC in Manhattan waiting to immortalize the moment: http://m.eater.com/archives/2010/04/12/photos-nyt-food-critic-sam-sifton-eating-a-kfc-double-down.php

Edited by Moxie

For all you foodies and friends alike, can I recommend a book?

I mean other than Delia's complete cookery course which is infallible.

Its

Larrouse Gastronomique

A lovely book, in itself, even if you dont cook.

A great present for people you know who cook - £35 ish and they are unlikely to have it.

Look on it as the food gospel. If its not in it, you probably shouldn't eat it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Larousse-Gastronomique-Hardcover-The-Worlds-Greatest-Cookery-Encyclopedia-/221286215209?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item3385afae29

Dont be put off by the Hannibal Lecktor references. But DO buy some nice copper pans.....

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Now, when I say "red meat" I do include Lamb (cooked rare), Duck Breast (Cooked rare) or Venison (cooked rare).

Must disagree with you there. At least on the fowl and game meats. I loathe venison and most game meats because they taste gamey and make me want to scrub my tongue with a rake. But I'll eat any kind of fowl as long as it's well done, like duck or goose at Zum Stammtisch.  

Kimbers, there's something wrong with that first plate - an unhealthy nasty redish round thing.

TOMATO

KILL IT!!!   KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.tomatoesareevil.com/

I'd like to offset that bit of negativity with arguably the most insane, vulgar, and hilarious food blog out there (not suitable for children or Tea Party members), which I was tipped off to years ago by The Broaster. I think the intro says it all: "IF YOU DON'T LOVE CILANTRO WITH ALL YOUR HEART I WILL FIGHT YOU. NO JOKE": http://fuckyeahcilantro.tumblr.com/

Was in the midst of making a chipotle garlic shrimp during a conversation with Art aka Shark Sandwich and I think he thought I never cooked.

Oh please. His idea of haute cuisine is pizza washed down with Dickel's. I have the video to prove it. Evidenced by even his own look of disgust and questioning glance from WhiskyBob (of all people!) for subjecting him to such swill:

Dickel.jpg

Larrouse Gastronomique

My mom has an original edition. The recipes are terrifying in their caloric excess, complexity, and gluttony. Truly, a tome worthy of Mr. Creosote.

Also, the Pepper Salty Shrimp at my favorite Chinese Restaurant, Phoenix Garden, rivals Don Pepe's Special King Prawns:

Pepper%20Salty%20Shrimp.JPG

And of course, MikeH and I will always go for a can of Booty Sweat:

Booty%20Sweat.JPG

Also, points awarded to anyone who can properly identify the "food item" shown here (TonyK prohibited from this contest due to insider information):

Toledo%20Food%20Mystery.PNG

Re-fried battered doughnuts?

Evora NA

Looks like a mutant Yorkshire pudding!!

Those, my friends, are what you get for "onion rings" in Toledo, Ohio. We were frightened.

The original post says pasta is not better with bacon. I like many pasta dishes with a little crispy bacon in it. The best bacon is British, its never as good anywhere else.

Grill your bacon rather than frying in fat and its fine. The bulk of the chlorestorol in your blood is made by your liver and has nothing to do with your diet.

The original post says pasta is not better with bacon. I like many pasta dishes with a little crispy bacon in it.

Agreed 100%. Bucatini all'Amatriciana is the stuff. Guanciale or death!

Those, my friends, are what you get for "onion rings" in Toledo, Ohio. We were frightened.

Mmmm, what's left in the fryer should make excellent bio-diesel!!!   :w00t:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lud3pwtWz31qdkv8qo1_500.jpg

Sadly (or positively) young Don Pepe Spicy Shrimp liker, we have another favourite restaurant in Norwich owned by a very good friend of mine. It is TOTALLY Chilled and serves some of the best food I have ever had. Check out this place. If we get time when you are over Matt we'll go there for lunch and have his Creole Chilli. Tis Tres amazing!

Someone recently asked me what I would invest in with a Million pounds and my answer was immediately, give it to Denis Rosembert to open me a Restaurant. You need a booking a week or even 2 in advance to get into this place!

http://www.chezdenis.co.uk/main-menu/

If you look at the main site he also has a 9 bedroom place in St Lucia he rents out and several in Nice!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

"Comment section" from the above link...in order of response

"It's like somebody suggested eating babies"

"Remember, Soylent is not people"

"Not yet..."

"I'm just waiting for the Green version"

"Green babies?"

:sick:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Let's cut to the chase--Foie Gras...yay or nay?