free hit
counters
Finally had a day and my esprit...design had been done sometime ago - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cjtpb13

Finally had a day and my esprit...design had been done sometime ago

Never had a means to transport my bike while using the Esprit. However with the Lotus dealership issues I had no worries about that for a few years.

Now however I finally joined the two. Bike rack was designed for the Esprit in mind with the ability to use it on every other one of my vehicles.

post-4361-0-72085000-1382026959.jpgpost-4361-0-57568700-1382027031.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Jason. Generally down at the beaches when in DE. Will have to look up that one.

Hope all is well and next we meet in Macungie PA I will surely send a PM to yourself

You'll be fitting a tow bar soon :lol::P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

And a dog guard....

But no, nice work! Dont forget its there!

Friend of mine did that in a car park. Peeled off the bike and most of his roof!

Edited by slewthy

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Hey Mr Poolboy ;) How secure is the rack? Is it just suction cups holding it there? Straight line speed is probably good but how trusting are you on the bends? Looking good though! :D

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Ian how are you ?

They are actually vacuum cups which are not to be confused with suction cups. Each vacuum cup is rated at 210lbs of holding force. And yes tested on quite some twisty roads at high speeds. And bumpy roads as well. If I recall the original Esprit luggage rack utilized vacuum cups as well. At least an early generation version.

The vacuum cups have been tried and tested for the marine industry for quite sometime. I actually use them on my boat for a variety of uses and also use them in my work on the SwimEx's. I figured if a 300lb NFL linebacker can pull on a stabilization bar in the midst of a laminar flow of 6knots it would hold my 32lbs of mountain bike and Thule tray. SeaSucker began developing bike racks for the last several years. Slowly gaining hold ( excuse the pun ) as most of their users tend to carry over from the marine industry. Which they also work underwater as well.

The only thing I noticed was the mountain bike would sway a bit. However that is actually an issue with the Thule tray itself. And I think the answer is to redesign a better mounting plate for the upright carrier.

Having the glass roof I will be able to see if I ever lose the rack and bike lol

Christopher

Please remember to remove bike & rack prior to opening the tailgate to get your riding bits and pieces out of the boot! :X

Where do you get the vacuum cups etc and what types of racks are available to use with them? I am thinking of a rack for a set of skis & poles and the sons snowboard.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Michael,

One beautiful thing is, believe it or not, I can actually open the rear hatch without a need to remove either the rack or the bike.

The vacuum cups are from a company called SeaSucker.

www.seasucker.com

They have the ability to be adapted quite easily to any other type of rack. And I then used Thule 599XTR Big Mouth bike carrier. SeaSucker makes a variety of their own bike racks however they all require removal of the front wheel and with hydraulic disc brakes I find it easier and safer for transport not to remove the front wheel.

Not to fully open surely?

Thanks for the info.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.