free hit
counters
"World Champion" Badge year - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

"World Champion" Badge year

Hello all,

Newbie here.

I'm looking at a 1978 S1 -- VIN plates all look good and consistent, but the back hatch has the World Champion Car Constructors badge at 1973.  Does this seem odd? Does that badge normally match the year of the car?  Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

~Al

ph1DoKg.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

car was built in 78 and the championship that lotus won in 78 was prob still in progress so that badge wouldnt have been manufactured yet. The racing teams last victory was 1973 so i would say the badge is correct

• Like 1

They are very very rare buddy. I sold one from my collection about 10 years ago while having a clean out of memorabilia at my dads house. The most common are the ones with 1978 on them, so yours is ultra rare.

The one I had with 1978 on it was slightly damaged and still made several hundred pounds!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

"The one I had with 1978 on it was slightly damaged and still made several hundred pounds!"

Say what???   :w00t:      (Guess you found a sucker as SJ is charging 16 pounds)

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10

Edited by comem47

The ones from SJ, and RD, have the laurels which are incorrect for a pre '78 champ badge. My S1 had the original one just like Al's but someone had a go at nicking it with a flat head and scuffed it up. I got a replacement from SJs, which on his website has no laurels but they do.

If you want the real thing then you get an original :)

You can get copy JPS jackets but my original still sold for over £600 :P And the Essex Silver Jacket made even more!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You could I suppose Bob but only the very few of the most informed connoisseurs amongst us, you know who you are, would really notice that the laurels are not authentic.

Edited by GavinT