free hit
counters
Fan fail light is on - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Fan fail light is on

When I switch the air con on ,the rad fans do not work ,thus the fan fail light.Has anybody any idea in which area I should look?Paul G

Problem sorted,it turned out to be the fan relay.I have fitted a new one and everything is fine.When the fans were on for a while the relay heated up and then cut out untill it cooled and then worked again ,wierd ??Thanks for your help Paul Godfrey

Edited by espritmania

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to state the obvious (may have been a trick question) - but around the front of the car to see if the fans are working would be my first call. Could be the fans have failed, or could be that fuses/relays have failed.

My SE sounds like a bloody Dyson when I switch the aircon on - but better that than a kettle!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

When I switch the air con on ,the rad fans do not work ,thus the fan fail light.Has anybody any idea in which area I should look?Paul G

When I got home today I checked with the aic con on and the fans are all dead.The running temp is 85 to 95 is this Ok. Paul

When I got home today I checked with the aic con on and the fans are all dead.The running temp is 85 to 95 is this Ok. Paul

Maybe you should move this to the G car forum, since you have an S1?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Maybe you should move this to the G car forum, since you have an S1?

i now have two esprits an s1 and an x180 turbo, thanks

now the engine is cold with the air con switched on the fans now work?

i now have two esprits an s1 and an x180 turbo, thanks

now the engine is cold with the air con switched on the fans now work?

I'm only familiar with the GM Delco injected Esprits 89+, but the fans won't come on until 95C, unless the AC is switched on & then they will come on with the AC. Proper running tem is between 82-95 on a Delco injected Esprit, sorry don't know about the BOSCH injected cars. I assume they are similar as far as temps go.

There are relays that control the AC demand and the fans, so I would start with those to make sure they aren't sticking.

I've had a fan motor get blocked from spinning due to a backed out bolt, but the fan/fail light did not turn on.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I wouldn't drive it until you get that fixed.....one bad overheat (like being stuck in traffic) and you could be looking at a warped cylinder head, and the resulting laeking head gasket or other non-desirable problems that cost big $$$$ to fix. If all three are dead than more than likely it is the relay or a bad ground. Should be simple diagnosis with the electrical schematic.

Edited by Paul93Lotus