free hit
counters
Pointless Mods - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Pointless Mods

Suddabym

Thought I would share some mods that make absolutely no difference to the speed of my awesome Evora.

But I like them.

Views on what I'm planning (although, I may just buy a SportsRacer) gratefully received.

Awesome

post-11231-0-34219400-1382880729.png

post-11231-0-28855400-1382880875.jpeg

post-11231-0-87658100-1382880894.jpeg

Sudders and Dany

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looking good. Like the DRL and the calipers. Not too keen on the wooden gear knob..

White wrap?

I'd like to do the entire interior aswell, I think I'd go down the suede/alcantara route, and upgrade all the audio. Not sure it's worth it over trading to a Sport Racer though.. We'll see.

MY12 steering wheel is worthwhile, as are the black door pins and speaker surrounds if you haven't done them already :)

Well, the gear knob is from the Europa, and IMO, better than the leather effort that the car came with.

Well, I'm split between a white wrap and leaving the car black. Thing is, the SportsRacer look is blinking epic. For a paint job, it absolutely changes the look of the car. But, a wrap... Maybe black is still cool. Hmm.

The steering wheel is soo much better than the coat hanger I had before. Black pins? Good idea. For speakers do you mean the silver surrounds? Hmm, then I'd have to so the air vent silver surrounds. Hmm.

With the infotainment, it's really the awefulness of the Alpine system. But then, all aftermarket systems are pants. How do they get away with it? Why haven't they caught up with phones and tablets. Apple really needs to get on the case, and Lotus need to sign up.

Yeah, the seats need some work, but I'm going to stick with the oyster and maybe highlight with red piping and something like red padded cross-stitched centres or sommat.

Thanks for the advice.

Awesome

Sudders and Dany

You can get double DIN units which are just a big android phone now. Cheap enough too...

This one it switched to match a VW interior

http://www.erisin.com/erisin-es7000a-7-hd-vw-android-40-car-dvd-player-gps-wifi-3g-canbus_p451.html

13762731090.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Bibs, that's pretty cool, but I'm an Appleist. I lie awake at night thinking of new and novel ways to bring down Samsung and Google, who are evil doers. I'd do the same with Microsoft and Blackberry, but there's no need.

Apple will rescue us all from dreadful in-car systems, while Google reinvents the sunglasses and Samsung, the watch.

You wait and see.

Apple is awesome.

Sudders and Dany

Well done so far! Where did you get those DRLs? I've been looking for something similar.

Don't have a cure for your Applism, but I'm working on a decent Android solution (better than that unit,  Bibs). Most of those units are incredibly crippled. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

First one I found on Google, I'm sure there will be better.

Sudders, is your car called Laura?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bought the DRLs online and got Williams to fit them. They also built me the exhaust. Was sceptical that they would laugh at me and they said that they were concerned about battery and ECU, but none of those fears were founded. They work fine and are have dual brightness, for day and night. Cool.

Dany told me that painting the calipers yellow would make the car go faster, but he lied. Said something the other day about buying a mansion in the Malverns?!

The air vents are now much less plastic. Cost a fortune, mind.

Appradio3 is the way to go? For an iPhone user? I'm still struggling to buy into something that still looks like it's not the full solution. But you recommend, Terry?

My car is indeed called Laura. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of people name their cars. Probably. And anyway, I've had eight Loti, and they've all had an L name, although I am kinda running out now, so I may not buy a SportsRacer, just for that reason.

Awesome

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

Looks good! -Who did your trim work?  I've just had the Alpine 505 unit replaced with the 920R - after 2 years of frustration!  and it is night and day better.  Ipod now connects every time, as does phone.  The Nav menus are so much easier, and the way that you can switch between radio / Ipod and CD is great.  Also has a split screen facility which is very neat.

Highly recommended!  I am going to go to a local car audio shop and see if a speaker upgrade is worthwhile, although the new head unit has made a difference already.

Williams did all the work, and I highly recommend them. The leather vents came from the factory, and I think, are made of gold, based upon their cost! Williams also did all the other work which, again, they did really well.

920R is really that good? Even though it's the same company that put a brick, with the processing power of an egg, and screen as useful as a lead window in my car? I'll check it out. After all, another alpine unit has to be an easier (ie less fraught with breakdown) fit than another type of unit. D'you think the speakers really need upgrading? I've never had a problem with the sound. The really sad thing is that when Lotus upgraded the unit, it actually worked, making replacement harder to justify. Still awful, mind.

If Apple don't bring something out by May next year, then 920R it is (appradio still looks like an unfinished project to me).

I hear a rumour that Williams were pushing to become a full dealer. Don't know if that's come off as I've been overseas since May. Hope that they do, as Laura Lotus will need digging out of a barn when I get back.

Awesome

Sudders and Dany

Thanks Ross. They do look a bit 'after market' but it does give a use to the pointless air intakes. I put them on cos, like it or not, all new cars since 2010 have them and IMO the car looks dated without them. It also means that I can have lights on in the day and still see the dash! Which is nice. And, my other justification is that my car is v low and v black, and all other non-Lotus drivers are blind, stupid mongs, with no sense of style (especially all Porsche drivers).

Question - how is the IPS? If I bought again and didn't but an Evoke (I know, right?), I would seriously consider an IPS, but it gets mixed reviews. How d'you find it day to day?

Sudders and Dany

Do you have a link for those DRLs. I've been looking like mad for some that would fit well, but all I found was really after-market like. Yours look great in their conspicuousness.

BTW I'm looking at one of these as my next ICE:
Universal-6.95-640x480-640x480.jpg

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Williams did all the work, and I highly recommend them. The leather vents came from the factory, and I think, are made of gold, based upon their cost! Williams also did all the other work which, again, they did really well.

920R is really that good? Even though it's the same company that put a brick, with the processing power of an egg, and screen as useful as a lead window in my car? I'll check it out. After all, another alpine unit has to be an easier (ie less fraught with breakdown) fit than another type of unit. D'you think the speakers really need upgrading? I've never had a problem with the sound. The really sad thing is that when Lotus upgraded the unit, it actually worked, making replacement harder to justify. Still awful, mind.

If Apple don't bring something out by May next year, then 920R it is (appradio still looks like an unfinished project to me).

I hear a rumour that Williams were pushing to become a full dealer. Don't know if that's come off as I've been overseas since May. Hope that they do, as Laura Lotus will need digging out of a barn when I get back.

Awesome

I also use Williams - they swapped the Alpine for me last week. Think they still want to be a main dealer again, but are sensibly waiting to see if the future is secure - and winter is not a great time to be appointed.

Where in Wilts are you, as i could show you the 920R if you like.  It has made the whole Evora experience just so much better!

Thomas, the DRLs I used were Ring - Lyra DRLs dual mode BRL0398. They're on Amazon and cost £54. They are the upper end of these things but you gotta go big, the cheap one look like ear rings. Thanks for the tip on Dashlinq but it's not got enough apples in it for me. And it's Russian. And if they can't make nuclear submarines that work, I'm guessing they not gonna be too hot on infotainment systems.

Steve, well, I was in Warminster, but now I'm in India. Til May next year. My car is in Storage, which is why I posted this, cos I miss her so much. Bless 'er. But if you're still interested, I wouldn't mind meeting up next year before I fork out a million bucks. So, you bought it and Williams fitted it? Good to know.

Awesome

Sudders and Dany

Thanks Ross. They do look a bit 'after market' but it does give a use to the pointless air intakes. I put them on cos, like it or not, all new cars since 2010 have them and IMO the car looks dated without them. It also means that I can have lights on in the day and still see the dash! Which is nice. And, my other justification is that my car is v low and v black, and all other non-Lotus drivers are blind, stupid mongs, with no sense of style (especially all Porsche drivers).

Question - how is the IPS? If I bought again and didn't but an Evoke (I know, right?), I would seriously consider an IPS, but it gets mixed reviews. How d'you find it day to day?

They do on some cars but they look, in your pics at least, quite 'standard'. Having a black Eovra too (and an  Elise for 7yrs before) I know only too well the issue of others not seeing the car (even the Police - and not in a good way!)

IPS is great. I tested a manual which was fine and then had a quick go in the IPS. 5 mins later I'd made the decsion I had to have the IPS! 99.9% of the time my car is driven on the roads in normal conditions and the auto mode is great for the inevtiable queues, stop start and motorways. If I need some speed I just put my foot down or use the paddles (all in non sport mode). I've been hooing with the PH bods quite a lot this year and the sport mode (v.cool throttle blips on downchanges to make me sound like a heel and toeing hero) and paddles are excellent. No need to take my hands off the wheel which is handy when wer'e 'on it' at XXX speeds! I wouldn't have an Elise with the IPS but it makes too much sense in the Evora not to. The first drive I did in it was 90m of motorway and then 1m of queuing so the IPS was great. It's not perfect but the odd time it gets caught out (for example if you're slowling for a roundabout and then suddenly accelerating) is no 'deal breaker'. TBH it really changed my mind about the paddle shift type gearboxes. Oh, and you feel like an F1 driver using the paddles too :thumbsup:

Edited by Bibs

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

MMM, nice comment, a brick with an egg, fully scrambled, sounds very much like an Apple unit to me. stick with Samsung, far better sound and VFM

Edited by johnpwalsh

They should really add an "OLD TIMER PACK" to the list of options for the Evora - walnut burr all over the place, a golf hat, and some plaid cloth here and there. I'd buy it.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

You know the leather 'warp around belt' from door across the dash? I was thinking the other day how good that would look in walnut. Seriously, Lotus are missing a trick, there. Or, maybe ash.

Bibs - thanks for that. I've read it and I have to say that (putting aside all the arguments about both systems) I really like the idea of flappy paddles. It's still manually operated (if you want) and is the way things are going. If I could afford it, I'd upgrade. And, I'm pleased to hear that all the obvious horror stories are just that. After all, aren't all automatics 'torque converters'? Isn't that the point? So, why is it used like an insult? Smegging Germans (not all the nice Germans here, just the Prosche types: I mean really, who buys a Porsche?!).

Awesome

Oh, and Samsung are for girls, John. Seriously, only girls use them. It's a fact.

Sudders and Dany