free hit
counters
Fuel pump replacement - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Fuel pump replacement

Okay, I've been chasing an ongoing pinging issue for the past few months as I've built up the car. I've put all new WC engineering fuel injectors, primary and secondary...All blueprinted and matched. I've put a new fuel filter, Chargecooler secondary electric pump(so 2 total electric pumps, MAT's creep to 40C but not above). I have checked the fuel pressure at idle and it is spot on at 43psi. I've introduced 8psi of air pressure onto the Fuel pressure reg. and reads 51psi(fuel pressure). So this tells me the FPR is working on a 1:1 ratio as specified. My problem is that I want to add boost and have the fuel (according to John at WC) for up to 1.25bar....BUT, I'm getting sporadic pinging(knock counts) on freescan at boost as low as .45bar. My car is a Turbo and boost is set at .65 with overboost to .78bar periodically. The knock counts are at all different times. Sometimes at low rpm and low throttle angles, sometimes at 4 or 5% throttle under deceleration sometimes under 100% tip in throttle and boost. Engine mounts are tight and knock sensor is brand new(replaced it thinking it was picking up stray noises). My last thought is that the fuel pump is just old and tired and not keeping up with the demand of the larger injectors and the demands of the new WC turbo. so as the pressure rises, the pump can't keep up. Any thoughts, experiences with issues like this? Also, my fuel pump doesn't seem to be located under the car like on LEW, is it in one of the fuel tanks? And if so, has anyone upgraded their pump to a higher flow unit? If so, which one? Thanks.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

89+ Delco injected Esprits fuel pump is in the Right Side fuel tank follow the lines from the rail to the Right side firewall.

Travis,

Have you upgraded your pump or have you reinstalled a replacement?

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Okay, I've been chasing an ongoing pinging issue for the past few months as I've built up the car. I've put all new WC engineering fuel injectors, primary and secondary...All blueprinted and matched. I've put a new fuel filter, Chargecooler secondary electric pump(so 2 total electric pumps, MAT's creep to 40C but not above). I have checked the fuel pressure at idle and it is spot on at 43psi. I've introduced 8psi of air pressure onto the Fuel pressure reg. and reads 51psi(fuel pressure). So this tells me the FPR is working on a 1:1 ratio as specified. My problem is that I want to add boost and have the fuel (according to John at WC) for up to 1.25bar....BUT, I'm getting sporadic pinging(knock counts) on freescan at boost as low as .45bar. My car is a Turbo and boost is set at .65 with overboost to .78bar periodically. The knock counts are at all different times. Sometimes at low rpm and low throttle angles, sometimes at 4 or 5% throttle under deceleration sometimes under 100% tip in throttle and boost. Engine mounts are tight and knock sensor is brand new(replaced it thinking it was picking up stray noises). My last thought is that the fuel pump is just old and tired and not keeping up with the demand of the larger injectors and the demands of the new WC turbo. so as the pressure rises, the pump can't keep up. Any thoughts, experiences with issues like this? Also, my fuel pump doesn't seem to be located under the car like on LEW, is it in one of the fuel tanks? And if so, has anyone upgraded their pump to a higher flow unit? If so, which one? Thanks.

Artie

Artie

I think one of the walbro high pressure 255 lph fuel pumps is drop in replacement I'm not sure which one but Lucas at retrophit.com has installed one maybe you can check with him.

I can't remember but on your previous posts I think you said that you mounted the MAT sensor in different location than SE maybe the MAT temp is much higher than what your ECU reads and leans and advances the timing thinking the air is cooler

just guessing

Tony

Artie

I think one of the walbro high pressure 255 lph fuel pumps is drop in replacement I'm not sure which one but Lucas at retrophit.com has installed one maybe you can check with him.

I can't remember but on your previous posts I think you said that you mounted the MAT sensor in different location than SE maybe the MAT temp is much higher than what your ECU reads and leans and advances the timing thinking the air is cooler

just guessing

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the tip on the walbro. I have one of these in my tool box! I may try it and see how close it is to the lotus unit....I had mounted my MAT in the airbox like stock on the non chargecooled setup, but I have since rectified my chargecooler issue and reinstalled the MAT into the chargecooler where it should be. I'm thinking there is an issue with my fuel pump keeping up with the demand of the fuel system.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Travis,

Have you upgraded your pump or have you reinstalled a replacement?

Art

My old pump froze from particles in my tanks that made it through the screen and fuel filter (also killed my injectors)... So I now have a pump from an X180-R, my friend went to a Sport 300 fuel pump in his X180-R. I pretty much replaced everything; pump, injectors (all 6), filter, and pressure regulator.

I believe the X180-R pump is the same as an SE, and the 89 non-SE.

I forget how much more the Sport 300 pump is supposed to flow, or at what pressure, but it is supposed to be more.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Artie,

I have looked at your log again. You have a fuel problem, one suggestion. Check Battery or Alternator. The BatV are too low. Fuel pumps are very sensitive to voltage. ECU's also do not like this low voltage. It is 12-13 V. It should be 13-14 V when running.

Dermot

Dermot,

The battery is new, the alternator looks pretty ratty, I'll pull the alt. and have it tested. Any idea of a X reference part for the Alt.? What does it come off of?

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm