free hit
counters
Turning the engine by hand - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Turning the engine by hand

Neil Potter

Apologies for what is most probably a stupid question...

How are you all turning the engine when setting timing etc?  I presume it's a socket on the crank pulley, but that seems inaccessible to me, at least from the top of the engine; it's right at the bottom just above the "triangle of truth".

What am I missing or am I just not trying hard enough?  I'm seriously considering jacking it up and turning on the wheels in 5th gear.

Assuming I'm not trying hard enough; what size socket is it for the crank pulley?

much obliged...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Neil,

You are assuming correctly, 

The front bottom pulley is the place, and 19mm A/F socket is the tool. pref, long reach..

If not available use short extension..

This will seem tight to get at but is the way it is done, with access from the underside..

A car lift helps, but jack and stands works just as well..A bit easier with under tray removed first. 

It will turn much smoother with spark plugs out to help get the desired position..

Hope this helps... if you need/want to talk to someone..PM me and i will send you my mobile number,

Always happy to help and advise.

Dave .

• Gold FFM

I had the same issue and as I dint want to jack her up again while setting the timing I used a large flat bladed screwdriver on the flywheel which you could access at the ignition timing pointer aperture, just placed the blade between the teeth and pressed the screwdriver against the bell housing to turn the engine to the required position.

• Gold FFM

If it's sitting on its wheels and you have a few feet of clearance, just put it in gear and rock it back and forth.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

If it's sitting on its wheels and you have a few feet of clearance, just put it in gear and rock it back and forth.

But be extra careful if it is a square toothed belt to avoid turning the engine backwards as it will jump a tooth sooo easily

John