free hit
counters
HS2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

HS2

£40bn on a train from London to Manchester? What a monumental waste of money and exercise in lining the pockets of the politicians involved.

No-one but them wants or needs it. Who even does that journey anyway? That money would be better spent on reducing taxation, the national debt or other more public focussed projects. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's gone up to £42.6 bn just recently and agreed mate. "It makes the Journey from London to Birmingham 30 minutes faster"......who cares? I mean, what is 30 minutes in terms of a working day?

Business leaders say no, public say no and even some of the Councils the tracks are due to go to say no. It's only the Govt who say it's "Essential". What a load of crap!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Trains are only there to subside people who want to commute and earn more working in London! Ok so the families will say they like using the train but how often do most people really use them? I think they should scrap the lot of them tarmac the tracks and run either buses or lorries down them.

Buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I wonder if there's any conflict of interest here... Fracking's another utter waste of time and money, not to mention an environmental disaster and people in positions of influence with vested interests.

Back to HS2, there's an interesting paper outlining the town and cities that stand to lose billions between them on lost revenue, so any effect HS2 will be to redistribute the wealth as opposed to creating it. Give the money to the NHS instead of dismantling it behind closed doors...

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I guess that £42bn will go to the construction companies to build it, that's the cost. I bet they all have MPs on their non-exec boards!

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Yep and we can't even get a bypass for the busiest roundabout in europe at a third of that cost

Manchester to London by air mon 4th nov £126 return , leaving in peak time. 2hr total flight time time, plus 3 hrs to airports and fannying around in airports (5h total)

Crewe to London by train mon 4th nov £237 return , leaving peak time. 3hr total train time plus 1.5hrs to train stations and fannying around waiting for train departs. (6hr total)

which would you pick??

trains are a huge rip off, end of!

• Like 1

I agree mate.

We had 4 vehicles to collect in Manchester. We only found out the day before so it was the full £84 one way from Norwich (x4 =£336). Bollocks to that! We hired a VW minibus (very comfy) £85, Fuel £50 and one of our workmates drove total £135. Saving £201. Trains are shite!

• Like 1

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

2 hour flight time, isn't that journey ~200 miles? I'd expect it to be more like 45-60 mins in the air unless they're using a DC3!

Manchester to London by air mon 4th nov £126 return , leaving in peak time. 2hr total flight time time

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Evora NA

2 hour flight time, isn't that journey ~200 miles? I'd expect it to be more like 45-60 mins in the air unless they're using a DC3!

Thats Ryan Air...you have to flap!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I always fly Manchester to London now, its not really any slower, more reliable and cheaper!

It's going to run near to my house (within a mile) and right through the picturesque Chiltern Hills, causing massive destruction to area's of outstanding natural beauty and protected wildlife areas (seems they are not that well protected after all!)

The bloody trains won't even stop in the County!

I really hope they see sense and scrap this awful plan.

:)

It's getting there......

An extra lane on the whole M6 would be a better investment, the train line has got big back hander written all over it and no doubt foreign investment with returns on profit from fares. Just like the building of all the academy's to replace perfectly good schools, nothing in it for us as s country in the long term

For what?

Evora NA

Com on Bibs, you would use it as well, just think of it, a tour of the English countryside, never knowing when it's going to stop with the additional surprise of never knowing when it's going to get there.

I am certainly not in favour of it, but I think it's a forgone conclusion ,If you take time to have a good look at all the plans on the NET there has been millions spent on it already ,They wouldn't have done that if they thought it wasn't going to be accepted

Bib's question still stands for that reply!

Ok, that's a valid reason. :)

Train fares and Energy prices, hiked persistently,  inexorably and sometimes seemingly at random, bearing little relation to the levels of service provided. 

What do they have in common? 

Privatisation. 

Easy jet, (also obviously private), manages to run at its own economy of scale - but trains and energy have been shown for different reasons, (but with the same result), to be unsuitable for privatisation as far as the consumer is concerned. 

I have refrained from using Ryanair as an example of the benefits of private ownership.....    ;) 

One argument that has been used by the antis is that the link may kick off a brain drain from Manchester to London, as the distance will become more attractive to commuters (its whole raison d'être).

I'll leave it up to others to insert witty quips about the IQ levels of the inhabitants of Manchester.