free hit
counters
How do you set the mixture to the correct level? - Page 2 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

How do you set the mixture to the correct level?

Buddsy, from everything I've heard or read, stuttering at that approximately rpm is related to fuel float settings. Can you think back to if the stuttering started when you adjusted the levels?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Its hard for me to say as I have only driving my car since the engine rebuild. As I have been running the engine in I am meant to do 500 miles not exceeding 3000rpm. I am up to 300 miles so have been pressing on a couple of times and 3000- 3500 rpm on a flat road the turbo jumps to max boost so there are a few things all happening there together. Once past the stutter pulls up to 5000rpm fine

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Buddsy, you're comment that it's too rich based on the blackened plugs is fine but you need to establish at what part of the rev range it's too rich as it may mean several things, not necessarily idle mixture screws.

There's a lot happening in the 2-3000 rpm range that needs to be taken into account to cure the hesitation. The carbs will be going from the idle circuit to the mains so float height is critical. The distributor will be coming off its idle settings and going to max mechanical advance/retard so its important the setting at 3000 rpm is set right and the vacuum system working correctly (if fitted) Also the camshafts are coming on cam in this rev range so its critical the timing is set to specs.  Once you've sorted all these the engine will sing and be smooth from idle to max attack!

Roo

www.jpsesprit.com

Buddsy, as a follow up - how's the stutter now? If gone, what was your fix? I've now got a slight engine hesitation and I am suspecting float heights.

Iain